Media player/streamer with HDR10+, apps and TrueHD, Atmos capabilities?

AV Janus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Can you guys please direct me to some media players like Nvidia shield Pro that can install apps but can also pass through HDR10+ and Atmos, TrueHD etc on the audio side.
I have a Samsung S95B comming and a AVR without eARC (šŸ˜…)

I was all set to go for Nvidia shield pro and now learned that it does not do HDR10+ (/facepalm)
Maybe it will get updated with that feature as it does Dolby vision...

I was looking at newest AppleTV 4k but Shield seemed more open and better fit for me.

Media players like Dune regularly have HDR10+ but are rather pricey and I don't see they are open to streaming apps and apps in general.

Any imput is greatly appreciated.šŸ˜€

I don't think there's one box that's perfect for everything first of all if your tvs got the apps I would use that first. Then a firestick 4k max as a backup if your tvs missing some of the apps. For playing media files I would get a separate media player like a vero 4k+ as @caldirun said but the vero doesn't do Dolby Vision. I use to have vero 4k but got a zidoo z9x for Dolby Vision but for me that's the only advantage but it's quite expensive.

Firestick 4K Max is excellent and supports WIFI 6 (providing your network is capable) then it streamed 4K content from my server with no issues. I gave my one away, but will most likely get another as the new bedroom TV supports HDR10+ now;. I can swap/sell my Apple TV 4K (2nd gen 2021) for the newer one Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen 2022) which also supports HDR10+. I use Infuse media player app (subscription/one off cost) on the Apple TV 4K which I find is much better than the native Emby/Plex apples apps, they are behind compared to the same apps on the Android platforms (Nvidia Shield/Firestick)

Yes, this Firestick 4k Max does sound interesting.
Not to expensive either.

Do you know if bit can handle uncompressed audio passthrough through the server apps?
Or will it just do compressed multichannel variants.
Can it do HDR+/DV from local files?

There have to be some limitations.

Not to expensive either.

Do you know if bit can handle uncompressed audio passthrough through the server apps?

It won't do Dolby Vision through local files for that your back to media players like Zidoo, Dune,Zappiti and Nvidia shield pro.

Not to expensive either.

Its limitation is that it cannot passthrough lossless audio, Your S95 does not support Dolby Vision anyway so I wouldn't be concerned with that.

as @caldirun says, the Vero is a good shout for playback of local files, I am not sure of all your app requirements but the Vero runs kodi via OSMC so any addons can be installed easy enough, for all main streaming apps as @Dion said above, you can just use the TV.

If HDR10+ is a must and you also require it to be android based (kodi,sideloading etc) then the new firecube could be a consideration, that box has recently received an update adding support for truehd passthrough, it also ticks the boxes with regards to available catchup apps including BBC UHD and YouTube HDR (something the shield lacks) and those which are not available direct from amazon can be side loaded.

Is anyone getting DTS HD 5 .1 or 7 1 pass through on a 2016 Shield as I can only get Dolby 5.1 .Thanks
P.S. Streaming through Emby.

I have realtek ati hdmi driver on my laptop (donā€™t know if i can change it) and sony ht-zf9 soundbar that supports all kind of sound formats. ( windows 10, 64)
Which media player is more suitable so I can get dts-hd, truehd, or even atmos?
Thanx in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom