Question Media Player Query

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rautospoon, Jul 20, 2018.

1. rautospoon

rautospoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took delivery yesterday of a Panasonic TZ55EZ952B OLED which I am finding to be superb in all respects.
    One small niggle - when I try to connect (going via Home - Devices) to view pictures etc. from the Windows Media Player on my laptop, I get the screen headed Media Server with my name and email address below but no data just the message "Cannot connect to the selected DLNA server. Please check the network connection and the server status".
    The TV is connected (wirelessly) to the internet, Netflix, Prime etc. with "5 green bars" and no problems whatsoever
    This TV replaces a Panasonic Plasma that connected (most of the time but not always) to the same server and media player.
    Any ideas how to solve this - please keep it simple if possible ?!
    There is no problem sending pictures etc. "the other way" i.e. from my laptop to (via Play To) the new TV.
    Many thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    WMP is ancient and is best replaced with something else.

Plex, Emby, Serviio, Mezzmo servers will all stream media to the TV, if there is a Plex or Emby client in the Panasonic app store that will present the media library in a much nicer fashion over the basic DLNA interface used on the TV.

Install Plex server, create a media library category for photos and point it at photo folder, then Plex will be available either via DLNA or Plex app on the TV.

If you really want to stick with WMP you have to authorize it to connect, start WMP, click stream, click turn on media streaming, click again on new menu to enable media streaming, hit the box for allow all.

3. rautospoon

rautospoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Next010.
    Many thanks for "taking the time" to provide a comprehensive reply which is appreciated.
    I. like WMP, am ancient so content to persevere with it and also a great fan of "basic" !
    How/ where do I actually "authorize WMP to connect etc." ?
    If no success with WMP will try Plex (which is available as an app on the TV) as you suggest - is it straight forward to transfer photos from WMP to Plex ?
    Thanks again and apologies for being dim !

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    You must load up WMP on the PC and in the menu bar for the application you should see a "stream" button click that to get the turn on streaming submenu.

Plex is definitely the better way to go, even if it's a little more work. The installer will guide you through what you need to do, making a media library and creating a free Plex account.

With that Plex account you can then tie the TV Plex app to the Plex server easily. Plex also does something WMP does not which is on the fly conversion of media so they always play on the TV even if the TV cannot normally play them. If you try to play/view something via WMP that is not supported it simply will not work.

5. rautospoon

rautospoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Next010.

Did exactly as you suggested re. WMP and was able to connect and see all my files on the TV (including many that I was not able to view on my previous Panasonic TV). I was delighted but this state of affairs lasted only very briefly and now I cannot view any of my files and just get the message "cannot read file". Any idea why this strange situation occurred and how to fix it ?

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    No idea, WMP is very old and was never known for it's reliability to begin with. On top of which I believe MS is considering removing it from Windows in the future.

The error message says cannot read file which could mean it's a network issue or it's a media server issue, the media server (WMP) indexes content (photos) creating a database, this is what your browsing from the TV side not the actual files but the database which if all goes right then streams the content.

If the database is broken somehow then it could list the file but nothing happens when trying to play it like in your scenario.

WMP does not offer much either in settings to manage this database and is hard wired to look at the default Windows pictures folder. You could double check in the zone where you turned on streaming in case the security permissions were reset.

Other than that I got nothing else. If Plex seems too complex for you just install Serviio it is one of the best free pure DLNA servers.

Once Serviio is up and running go to library\shared folders\add then point it at the photos folder, select images as the content, click ok then click save at the bottom. That's all you should have to do in getting up and running.

7. rautospoon

rautospoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again. Have taken your advice and installed Serviio which was straightforward.
    I now seem to be able to view all of my files except a few SDV video files I have, which have not appeared on the list on my TV.

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    When you added the folder ticking the box for the content type as images it also ignores any videos if left unselected, you have to edit that saved shared folder to include the video type, there should be an edit button.

Alternatively make a sub folder and fill it with the videos then set that as a video only type folder.

From what I can make out .sdv looks like a Samsung camcorder format or a corel pinnacle studio file.

Sdv video files may not be supported so you may have to convert those into a more common format like H.264/MP4 or try dumping the raw video from the .sdv into a .mkv container using mkvtoolnix. Literally drag and drop, select start multiplexing and it will spit out a copy of .sdv video but in .mkv container (if it supports sdv as input).

I could not find any .sdv public samples so it's hard to say what free video converters support this format but overlook mentioning it as it seems obscure, the only one which mentions it is this pay for one. Failing that maybe the guys in the video editing forum can point you in the right direction for a sdv converter.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. rautospoon

rautospoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I made a separate folder for the SDV videos as you suggested, added it to my library and they all now play fine on the TV - easy when you know how !
    Many thanks for your kind assistance which has been invaluable.