Media Player or Small HTPC a one box solution

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by hoppaz, Mar 2, 2013.

1. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I am currently using a Boxee Box which is connected via a gigabit router on which I also connect my NAS where all of my music and films are stored.

I haven't been on the media player scene for a while so I was wondering if a player existed these days that would be a one stop shop that could rip to my NAS and play back media as a one box solution?

My idea is to make my system more streamlined and cut down on the number of boxes I have to have around in order to do things now.

My other thoughts is to buy something like an Acer Revo and connect my usb Blu-ray rom to this and run Make MKV on this whilst also using it to play the media back when required.

I would be happy to hear any advice on the this from people who have more knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    Media players are not capable of ripping a physical disc, the optical drive would be for playback only. So if you want 1 device to rip and playback media you will need to be looking at an HTPC.

Mark.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    No player like that, there are high end commercial servers that can do it.

Another option is combining media player and NAS, QNAP x69 series run a version of XBMC on their NAS so you plug in via HDMI cable to the NAS and get your media player all in one. You still need a PC to rip too of course and cabling may be an issue if the NAS is in another room.

One other avenue is the quality on the digital downloads for Blu-ray's has gotten a lot better recently, before they targeted very low end iPod's but now they are moving towards the AppleTV of course these media files are coated in DRM and you need iTunes running somewhere but it does save ripping any disc though not all discs do the digital copy unfortunately.

4. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I might be going down the mini htpc route. Whats the best media player software to use?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
  6. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225