Media Player on LG 43UP81006LA 2021 TV

arst06d

Novice Member
Just received this, my first LG TV, to replace a dying Samsung.

I connect the TV to my network using a wired connection.

I have my music files on an external USB drive plugged into my router which has a Media Sharing (DLNA) Server built in. The structure I have is:

Artist 01
---- Year & Album Name
----------- Track 01
----------- Track n
Artist 02
---- Year & Album Name
----------- Track 01
----------- Track n

Accessed the Media Server App on the TV and it found the server no problem, and I was browsing folders and notice that the full folder list does not get loaded - it stops halfway down the "T"s which is 513 folders containing over 20k items. There are another 55 folders not listed in the Media Player.

I have checked the next folder for any abnormalities and can find none - just mp3 files.

None of my other devices have this problem - eg my phone running VLC shows all folders.

Is this a known problem? Does the Media Player have such limitations - does it just give up after a certain number of items? Is there another Media Player app that I can install?

Thanks in advance

next010

Distinguished Member
Is this a known problem? Does the Media Player have such limitations - does it just give up after a certain number of items? Is there another Media Player app that I can install?

Thanks in advance

Could be a limitation of the TV DLNA media player or a compatibility issue in conjunction with the DLNA server running on the router, I do have a vague memory of someone encountering something like this before but I could be wrong.

Can the router run Emby or Plex server ?

Those are the only other interfaces for playing media in webos app store.

You should be able to bypass the TV internal DLNA browser by using something like BubbleUPnP on your smartphone to act as a controller so it selects the media then pushes it to the TV DLNA client.

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
Could be a limitation of the TV DLNA media player or a compatibility issue in conjunction with the DLNA server running on the router, I do have a vague memory of someone encountering something like this before but I could be wrong.

Can the router run Emby or Plex server ?

Those are the only other interfaces for playing media in webos app store.

You should be able to bypass the TV internal DLNA browser by using something like BubbleUPnP on your smartphone to act as a controller so it selects the media then pushes it to the TV DLNA client.
Hi, thanks for your response and suggestions.
The DLNA server is built into the router (Archer VR400) - just a box to me - doubtful that it can run anything other than what it came with.
I note what you say about Casting from the phone to the TV. I know my Samsung could do this.

Main problem I have is my wife who is a complete technophobe.

Thanks.

Still appreciate input from others if they know anything.

Upvote 0

fluxedman

Always felt TVs with inbuilt players with DLNA support are hit and miss, both in supported codecs and playback and even basic file management.

I agree if you can switch over to dedicated server type set up with Plex server like a old PC or laptop or NAS box, plex was pretty much designed to handle all codecs and playback of pretty much any file it also has excellent file management so wont miss say folder 894 of 2000, I don't have any issue seeing my media files for example but you may have to play with the media scanning options and set up to get it right but once its done its fine.

There maybe other methods out there I have read some are moving to cloud based storage and streaming it to any device from home, not checked into that one though but it maybe an option.

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
I previously did have Serviio running on a pc with the USB drive connected and never had a problem with my old Samsung TV.
I had to decommission that setup when working from home happened - needed the space for the work pc - hence plugging the USB storage directly into the router.
I can access the music in other ways - just a pain that something on a brand new TV doesn't work properly.. As I say - VLC picks up all folders no problem on my phone.

Funnily enough, it was suggested I try casting from my phone to the TV using BubbleUPnP - which unfortunately has the same problem - fails at the same folder.

i'm confused as to whether the problem is the TV/BubbleUPnP or the server in the router.
as I say VLC sees everything making me think the router is OK, but the TV and BubbleUPnP fail - and I've just tried a Phillips Internet Radio with Media Streaming - and that fails too whereas didn't when using Serviio.

Upvote 0

fluxedman

Its a mystery, some software are just written better and handle file browsing better. Software, apps and even router firmware's are notorious for bugs and issues also so its a struggle to get decent running. You may also want to try and update the Routers firmware via the manufacturer website to the latest since it may have improvements/fixes, but do so only if confident with firmware flashing/updating and read instructions that is at your own risk naturally.

Imo routers while great they are over packed with features and functions, im surprised the cpu and memory in them hasn't melted, imo they should stick to their intended function since that is a challenge on its own.

I use to run into issues with my Samsung and LG CX with not finding folders or files or not able to playback media files via the TV apps or DLNA system even with usb hdds and flash sticks, it just reached a point where I wanted something that worked really. It wasn't till I installed free plex server on a laptop and then the plex free app on my LG CX I realized how out of date I was with running VLC and old skool PC media playback, basically you wont go back.

This is just a small example:

TerraMaster-Enclosure

Its a 2 bay £140 nas with Plex server and other support, think its 16TB max x 2, and plex server and plex app for most tvs/devices is free, you can get the better plex membership which allows better playback say 4k material onto a older phone etc

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
Thanks for that.
Not au fait with NAS - basically fancy external drives but IP rather than USB? It plugs into my router instead of the USB drive?
I note I have to buy disks as well - ouch!
Would it (or similar) work without disks - I note there are USB ports on it - could I connect my USB drive and have Plex share files off that?

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately DLNA is not a standard so there are differences in implementations which require compatibility testing.

Some of the better DLNA servers like Serviio have device profiles built in to avoid these issues but lesser DLNA servers do only the bare minimum of testing.

If VLC works fine then I would lean towards the DLNA server being the problem, try checking for a firmware update to the router in case it updates the DLNA server.

Also what does the DLNA server advertise itself as, is it Twonky, miniDLNA ?

The cheapest low power solution is to get a Raspberry Pi and have that run as the network server.
  • Install raspberry pi os to SD card and boot RPI using it.
  • Connect your USB drive.
  • Follow these instructions to install emby server on RPI.
  • You can run RPI headless if you want as well no display, key/mouse.

Emby can use its own interface apps and DLNA clients so you have flexibility, the Emby app on LG WebOS should be much more wife friendly than using the DLNA media player.

If you've used Serviio Emby is basically the same thing just a bit more fancy, install it on PC to learn how to use it, version on RPI will be the same once up and running.

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
Unfortunately DLNA is not a standard so there are differences in implementations which require compatibility testing.

Some of the better DLNA servers like Serviio have device profiles built in to avoid these issues but lesser DLNA servers do only the bare minimum of testing.

If VLC works fine then I would lean towards the DLNA server being the problem, try checking for a firmware update to the router in case it updates the DLNA server.

Also what does the DLNA server advertise itself as, is it Twonky, miniDLNA ?

The cheapest low power solution is to get a Raspberry Pi and have that run as the network server.
  • Install raspberry pi os to SD card and boot RPI using it.
  • Connect your USB drive.
  • Follow these instructions to install emby server on RPI.
  • You can run RPI headless if you want as well no display, key/mouse.

Emby can use its own interface apps and DLNA clients so you have flexibility, the Emby app on LG WebOS should be much more wife friendly than using the DLNA media player.

If you've used Serviio Emby is basically the same thing just a bit more fancy, install it on PC to learn how to use it, version on RPI will be the same once up and running.
I have the latest firmware installed on the router.
The DLNA server advertises itself as "Archer400" - no more than that.
You said a whole lot about Raspberry Pi that I know nothing about. I shall have to investigate.

VLC as a client on my phone sees all the folders on the USB drive - so I can't see why the problem should be there or with the router since it is obviously serving the data to VLC.

You mention EMBY as an alternative app available on the LG - I was unaware of this so something to look for.

Thanks.

EDIT: Looked for EMBY on the apps on the TV and can't find it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
I have the latest firmware installed on the router.
The DLNA server advertises itself as "Archer400" - no more than that.
You said a whole lot about Raspberry Pi that I know nothing about. I shall have to investigate.

VLC as a client on my phone sees all the folders on the USB drive - so I can't see why the problem should be there or with the router since it is obviously serving the data to VLC.

You mention EMBY as an alternative app available on the LG - I was unaware of this so something to look for.

Thanks.

EDIT: Looked for EMBY on the apps on the TV and can't find it

Raspberry Pi is basically a cheap mini computer, it is a good platform for a lot of DIY solutions, it does not run windows but a custom linux desktop OS.

TP-Link confirm there is a file limit in their Archer 400 DLNA server so that might be part of the issue, also if your VLC player is accessing the USB drive via SMB network shared folder instead of DLNA that would bypass the limitation.

DLNA is not a strict standard and even if VLC is working through the DLNA server that might be something TP-Link tested with and said job done after that, I've seen this more than once over the years.

That is odd that emby app is not available on your WebOS TV it should be v6 which is the latest, it is present on older versions of WebOS for sure (here is a 2020 video of someone using it).

Try Emby server on your windows PC and it will still stream over DLNA, see how well that works with TV DLNA media player, if it does you can still use the RPI + Emby solution (just not the emby interface app on TV).

But for the DLNA server built into the router there is not much else you can do with it from what I can see.

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
Thanks for your continued interest.
The USB drive is connected directly to the router so sharing via DLNA not smb as I understand it. As you say, could be something they tested with VLC and said that'll do.

I found a Plex app on the TV and installed that, but it just gives me a load of TV channels etc and no option to link to any internal DLNA server - unless you can point the way? Does it need Plex Server running and will not pick up other DLNA servers?
I did a search for EMBY and nothing in apps - just points to some YouTube How To vidios.
I don't have a Windows PC - use linux on my laptop so can't have the USB drive attached as not practical.
Could I install a DLNA server on my laptop which reads the USB disk connected to the router?

I would prefer not to have any more bits of kit if it can be avoided.

Upvote 0

fluxedman

Yup Plex server required, you can get it for linux, windows and other platforms also

both sync to each other when on the same network you just need to enter the code which is shown on the screen, so yes its a combination needed plex server on your pc/laptop/nas etc where all your media files are stored and then plex main app from here:

onto your devices that support it ie TV, PC/laptop, tablet, phone, consoles etc

You can then add movies, tv shows, music and you even have the option to add your tidal account even.

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your continued interest.
The USB drive is connected directly to the router so sharing via DLNA not smb as I understand it. As you say, could be something they tested with VLC and said that'll do.

I found a Plex app on the TV and installed that, but it just gives me a load of TV channels etc and no option to link to any internal DLNA server - unless you can point the way? Does it need Plex Server running and will not pick up other DLNA servers?
I did a search for EMBY and nothing in apps - just points to some YouTube How To vidios.
I don't have a Windows PC - use linux on my laptop so can't have the USB drive attached as not practical.
Could I install a DLNA server on my laptop which reads the USB disk connected to the router?

I would prefer not to have any more bits of kit if it can be avoided.

Correct the Plex/Emby apps will only connect to their dedicated server software, general DLNA servers wont work with the Plex/Emby client app.

You can get Linux Plex server here or it should be within the software manager for your Linux distro (if its ubuntu/debian derived).

Emby server is here with ubuntu/debian compatible installer.

General DLNA servers for Linux with no dedicated apps
Serviio, instructions here.
UMS download here.
miniDLNA should be in software manager.

The emby app missing in webos 6 must be some kind of certification thing I would guess, Plex/Emby do the same thing. There's another one called jellyfin thats fully free but they don't have a webOS app yet, its in the works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
OK, progress!
I installed the Emby server on my laptop and added the USB drive connected to the router as a library. Took a couple of hours to catalogue.
Now in the WEbOS media player attaching to the Emby server I can see all folders.

The interface is not the prettiest in the world but in the absence of anything better ... I'll raise a query with LG as to why they dropped the Emby app, and I'll keep an eye out for JellyFin.

One question:
In the server browser on the laptop the folders are listed in alphabetical order - and I want it this way. I don't want "The" or "A" ignored and the folder listed using the second word. So all the "The {artist name}" folders are listed together after the "S" artists. Hope that makes sense.
On the TV it's being served without ignoring the prefix "A" or "The".

I'm assuming this is how it's being served by Emby - any way to override or force this?

Solved this sorting problem.

Just change

<SortRemoveWords> <string>the</string> <string>a</string> <string>an</string> </SortRemoveWords>

to

<SortRemoveWords />

In
system.xml

Bugger! I posted the above solution without trying it - took it on trust from another post.

I restarted the Emby server after making that change and rescanned the library but I'm still getting (for example) "The Band Perry" listed under B in the Media Player.

I've seen where there is a field in the Metadata Manager (Sort Order) which can override the folder title. On my folders this is blank. I can manually change them individually but that's a chore. Anyone know of a bulk method to edit this field to make it the same as the Folder Name?

Alternatively - can anyone explain why the change to the xml file detailed above isn't working?

Many thanks all - and sorry to be such a noob pain in the A**

Last edited:
Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
The naming scheme for music isn't something I've ever tinkered with, the Emby devs answer questions on their forum and would probably be able to help more than I.

They also have a wiki which explains some of its workings, if its of any help.

Upvote 0

arst06d

Novice Member
Eureka!
I have stumbled upon the solution.
I was poking around settings and properties for the Library and changed the Music Folder Structure dropdown to "Perfectly organised into artist/album folders with tracks directly in the album folders".
Refreshed Metadata on the Library as a whole.
Now everything is sorted as I would want and expect (at least I haven't found any anomalies on a spot check).

Now I don't know if it was this last change alone or in combination with the change I made in system.xml detailed previously that has done the trick, but I'm leaving well alone for now. It is possible a future update may overwrite system.xml I suppose but that's for another day ...

In the meantime - hurrah! and thanks to all for your time and pointers.

All I need now is a better, prettier media player on the TV itself.

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Eureka!
I have stumbled upon the solution.
I was poking around settings and properties for the Library and changed the Music Folder Structure dropdown to "Perfectly organised into artist/album folders with tracks directly in the album folders".
Refreshed Metadata on the Library as a whole.
Now everything is sorted as I would want and expect (at least I haven't found any anomalies on a spot check).

Now I don't know if it was this last change alone or in combination with the change I made in system.xml detailed previously that has done the trick, but I'm leaving well alone for now. It is possible a future update may overwrite system.xml I suppose but that's for another day ...

In the meantime - hurrah! and thanks to all for your time and pointers.

All I need now is a better, prettier media player on the TV itself.

There is a thread over on Emby LG webos forum, other webos 6 owners confirm its not present and the devs have said they are working on it, so maybe a few more weeks it might show up.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom