• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Media player & network storage device?

stiscooby

Established Member
Hi,

I am looking for a device which I can copy my films onto then play via something like the Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2 Multi Media MKV Player.

However, it would also be quite handy to have the device available as network storage too so I can backup pictures/data etc to the device from two computers I have in the house.

One device I have found is the "WD My Book Live 1 TB Network Attached Storage" which seems like it may do what I am after.

.........or can anyone else recommend something different as a media player & network storage? (don't really have the need for a full on NAS device as i'm not bothered about having drives mirrored etc as I'll already have a copy of everything on my PC's).

Thanks for any advice

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
The thing with media streamers that also act as a nas is they're a compromise.

They will allow pcs to access the local hard disk but they're limited in the features - i.e. it allows them to be seen only and not other features (a couple may have DNLA servers but thats about it). They're also quite slow compared to a traditional nas.

The WS Live Hub will do what you want but dont expect too much :) There is also the AC Ryan, popcorn, and Dune models - but they're going up in price. WD Live hub is popular though.

NX3

Prominent Member
I'd buy a proper storage device and a proper media player. As stated above anything in-between is a compromise

a5ian300zx

Prominent Member
Hi,

The qnap nmp1000 is a media player an nas drive. I prefer to keep is separate myself.

A5ian300zx

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom