1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Player & DVD's

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Clippy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Clippy

Clippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, new to all this so if this seems basic then I must apologise. Got a media centre PC and I can play DVD's via the Asus software that came with the DVD R/W drive, the quality looks good but I fancy getting them up and running on Media Player. What exactly is required,will it cost and is the quality/functionality OK? I have installed DivX codecs to play some files and figure it's a case of getting hold of the right codecs for DVD playback, or is it ?? Any pointers will be gratefully received, thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :hiya:

Yup, it's a basic question .. but then we all started at that level, no need to apologise. :D

Have you tried Media Player? I ask because since you have a working player (the ASUS one) then you already have some codecs on the system, though whether WMP can use them is another matter.

To answer your questions thuogh, yes you do need codecs as you suspect and if those that came with the ASUS player aren't recognised by WMP then the best option is to by the codec NVidia sell, c. $15 IIRC .. and no, you don't need an NVidia graphics card to use them :)

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a bad stuttering problem with nVidia decoders in Media Player Classic, despite using Reclock.

There are no such problems using either DScaler5 MPEG2 Decoder or MPCs internal decoder.

I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

4. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clippy, if you're using media centre try this decoder for DVD, should do the trick.

5. Clippy

Clippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the responce all. I have tried a DVD KraGorn but it wasn't prettyat all, massive pixels is the only way to describe it. I have one of those 50' Sagem TV's so I'm looking for some quality really. If I am spending money on software, should I be looking elsewhere for a DVD player?
    Thanks for the link Daithi, I have a 6600GT so that should work out fine for now. Been trying to get my games to work at 1280*720 but only a few had the forsight to include it as an option. Shouldn't complain I spose.
    Sorry mephistopheles, haven't a clue mate. I'm still trying to decide which graphics drivers too use, I have the latest but I feel some of my games should run faster (AMD64 3500). I ran 45.23 series drivers on my old GF3 and they worked a treat ? I will keep experimenting.
    I have learned loads sniffing around this forum but realise just how technical this watching telly/listening to music crack really is. Hopefully with Nvidia and Daithi's help we're on the way. Thanks again. :)