Question media player comparable to laptop?

sgph

Novice Member
Reaction score
Sorry if my question seems non sense. But I am looking for the best media player out there. I am currently using my laptop as my media player ( connecting the laptop to my Plasma TV via HDMI ) and I am very pleased with the video/picture quality.

I tried using the Mi Box, and the picture/video quality is garbage compared to when I use my laptop.

What's your budget? You could get a box with the same hardware as the Mi, but running OSMC or LibreElec, and it'll be comparable to, or better than an average laptop. Mine certainly plays some content better than my NUC.

Or there's the embedded players - Dune, Zappati, etc. Or a bluray player via dnla.

Spending any more won't get you better pq for bluray rips: nothing can play blurays better than a £100 bluray player, as there's nothing better than playing correctly; but it matters if you're upscaling. So for the best, the most powerful pc you can afford. At work we have ones with twin Xeons, 512gb ram, and twin Nvidia P6000s and we can still make them melt.

What's your budget? You could get a box with the same hardware as the Mi, but running OSMC or LibreElec, and it'll be comparable to, or better than an average laptop. Mine certainly plays some content better than my NUC.

Or there's the embedded players - Dune, Zappati, etc. Or a bluray player via dnla.

Spending any more won't get you better pq for bluray rips: nothing can play blurays better than a £100 bluray player, as there's nothing better than playing correctly; but it matters if you're upscaling. So for the best, the most powerful pc you can afford. At work we have ones with twin Xeons, 512gb ram, and twin Nvidia P6000s and we can still make them melt.

Budget is not an issue but I won't be spending over $300 for a player. I'm just wondering if such a player exist. I am using a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 to play 1080p movies, connecting it to my Plasma TV via HDMI and the quality is great. When I played the same file via the Mi Box, the quality was not as clear as the latter.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to reply sir.

Welcome to the forum sgph :hiya:
I am looking for the best media player out there
The best is a matter of priorities and/or required features, so it is not as easy as stating that player ?? is the best.
A media player does all video decoding in hardware so if the codec you use is not stated as being supported then it is not going to work. A laptop/PC/HTPC has a load more processing power and memory for software so can basically decode just about anything. You will not find a media player that can do this.

So......

How much are you willing to pay?
What media do you want to play?
Do you require DVD and/or Blu-ray menu support?
What resolution, only Full HD or 4K?
Is 3D required?
Where will your media be stored, internal HDD or on a NAS/PC?
Will you only play local media or do you want access to Netflix, YouTube etc?

I'm sure there are many more questions to be asking but these will give us somewhere to start.

Mark.

Welcome to the forum sgph :hiya:

The best is a matter of priorities and/or required features, so it is not as easy as stating that player ?? is the best.
A media player does all video decoding in hardware so if the codec you use is not stated as being supported then it is not going to work. A laptop/PC/HTPC has a load more processing power and memory for software so can basically decode just about anything. You will not find a media player that can do this.

So......

How much are you willing to pay?
What media do you want to play?
Do you require DVD and/or Blu-ray menu support?
What resolution, only Full HD or 4K?
Is 3D required?
Where will your media be stored, internal HDD or on a NAS/PC?
Will you only play local media or do you want access to Netflix, YouTube etc?

I'm sure there are many more questions to be asking but these will give us somewhere to start.

Mark.

Hey Mark, thanks for your reply.

How much are you willing to pay? - $200-$300 max
What media do you want to play? - .mkv files, or 1080p movies
Do you require DVD and/or Blu-ray menu support? not really
What resolution, only Full HD or 4K? Both
Is 3D required? No
Where will your media be stored, internal HDD or on a NAS/PC? Internal HDD or external
Will you only play local media or do you want access to Netflix, YouTube etc? local media, sometimes Netflix and youtube.

Have a look through the list to see what you can get your hands on. Once narrowed down the list see if there are dedicated threads on here for it/them and ask any questions you may have in there or on this thread - good luck finding the ideal media player
iboum.com : Android Box : Mini-HTPC : Media Player : Kodi

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom