Media Player box for under the tele!

D

DaveP

I currently have an HCPC (or is that HTPC? What's the difference? Sorry I digress!) which I have in the living room and it is connected to a 17" TFT via VGA and a Sony HS20 pj connected by DVI. I use the pj for DVDs and HD AVI files but if I want to watch my DVR-MS files produced by my Black Gold TV card I have a problem.

It's not worth setting up the pj and screen etc so I want to just watch them on the tele. Obviously the graphics card is fully utilised so I need something else to allow connection to the TV.

I have had a look at the D-Link DSM-320 but it doesn't quite fit my needs.

I'm now thinking of putting a PC under the TV and controlling it remotely on the existing PC.

The problem I have is that, in the past, I have not been able to find anything, that I could get working, that actually did remote control rather than remote desktop. I'm thinking of trying PCAnywhere which I used to use years ago when I supported remote sites.

Ideally I just want the box under the TV, connected by s-video and audio but without keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Is anyone doing this? If so how do you accomplish the remote control? I've tried VNC but I couldn't get it working.

Thanks

Dave

Dan L

VNC is probably your best bet to be honest...I've installed it on countless PCs and have never had a problem. Why wouldn't it work for you?

D

DaveP

danluton said:
Why wouldn't it work for you?
I was probably doing something wrong!

I'll have another try tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks

Dave

mpaul0055

Exactly the same setup ive been looking for.

Although ive searched for VNC as it seems what we need, but theres loads of different types. Is there one that people on here are using sucessfully?

Cheers Mark

D

DaveP

Thanks guys, does anyone know of an "Idiot's Guide" on setting it up?

I've downloaded realvnc and I'll look at it tonight.

Dave

Rambles

Distinguished Member
scumball said:
I believe a (soft)modded XBox (to make it NTSC) with the Xbox Media Extender software will play your XP MCE files happily over an ethernet cable. I think knows a bit about this setup....
Took the words out of my mouth... :D I was going to respond earlier with this suggestion, but thought everyone will get bored with me saying the same thing, time and again!

Last edited:
D

DaveP

lisag said:
Took the words out of my mouth... :D I was going to respond earlier with this suggestion, but thought everyone will get bored with me saying the same thing, time and again!

lisa
I hadn't forgotten you lisa!

It's just that the learning curve for an x-box would have been a challenge in itself! I'd have no other use for it than being a media player and the main reason is, it's got a zero WAF!

Besides, I've got sufficient spare parts to build a PC, so it's a no cost option.

Dave

The Dude

Distinguished Member
If you want a PC solution then either VNC, or why just not use XP remote desktop? it takes no installation, and works better than VNC anyway ;)

D

DaveP

The Dude said:
If you want a PC solution then either VNC, or why just not use XP remote desktop? it takes no installation, and works better than VNC anyway ;)
I can never get Remote Desktop to work. I've heard that it can't handle overlays and I don't think I can install some software or adjust display settings, so that could be an issue.

Dave

D

DaveP

OK, I've installed VNC on the remote PC as Server and I've put the viewer on my PC in the lounge. When I enter the IP address of the remote PC the viewer says it cannot contact it.

I have no idea why it doesnt work. It is the correct address and I can ping it fine

Dave

D

DaveP

OK, typical newbie error :oops:

I forgot about the firewall, I could ping the viewer PC from the server so assumed it was OK.

Anyway, it's OK now and it seems to be just the ticket

Thanks

Dave

J

jon stallard

DaveP said:
I currently have an HCPC (or is that HTPC? What's the difference? Sorry I digress!) which I have in the living room and it is connected to a 17" TFT via VGA and a Sony HS20 pj connected by DVI. I use the pj for DVDs and HD AVI files but if I want to watch my DVR-MS files produced by my Black Gold TV card I have a problem. Dave
If you don't mind me asking Dave, what exactly is the problem you have watching DVR-MS files (that's the recorded TV files isn't it) via VGA on your 17" TV? Just that I'm considering all sorts of scenario's AV wise and your set up is one of them.

Ta,
Jon.

D

DaveP

jon stallard said:
If you don't mind me asking Dave, what exactly is the problem you have watching DVR-MS files (that's the recorded TV files isn't it) via VGA on your 17" TV? Just that I'm considering all sorts of scenario's AV wise and your set up is one of them.

Ta,
Jon.
I don't have a problem using the 17" other than the fact it is not set up for family viewing, it's not a TV. It's just used as a PC monitor at the side of my seat.

I want to watch these on my 36" Sony CRT.

Dave

J

jon stallard

DaveP said:
I don't have a problem using the 17" other than the fact it is not set up for family viewing, it's not a TV. It's just used as a PC monitor at the side of my seat.

I want to watch these on my 36" Sony CRT.

Dave
Oh right, I see. I did think a 17" was a bit small. So is a PJ a viable form of watching DVD's in the living room?

On the face of it, the thought of watching a picture far greater than even a 50" plasma/LCD is quite mouthwatering and it just so happens that in my new place, I have a wall about 4M long by 3M high with nothing on it/in front of it. On the other hand, I don't really want to watch Trevor MacDonald with a head the size of a small planet so having a secondary TV for normal TV sounds like just the job. So in that case, I wouldn't need another HTPC, just enough cabling to stretch from the moon and back:)

Jon.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published