Media Player and Recorder with SATA support and dual tuner

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by gianni76, Aug 28, 2012.

1. gianni76

gianni76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel overwhelmed by the amount of MEDIA PLAYERS coming into the market.
    But cannot understand if all the producers totally miss a large share of the market or is it just me with this need: I need both a media player AND a recorder in the same box.

Can anyone help with this simple request?

I have had for many years an old (but very reliable) Sumvision Cyclone, which at present allows to me:
    - watch and record DTV (1 channel only at a time)
    - reproduce all media formats up to 1080i (not 1080p, so no MKV) from an internal SATA HD or an external USB device (or both). At present I have 4 TB in two separate HD (one inside the Cyclone and one outside via USB)

What I am after to buy is now to UPGRADE this with a new simple box which:
    - allows me to view and record SEPARATELY two different channels (so two dtv tuners in)
    - store and reproduce media (including 1080p, MKV and ISO) from an internal HD (possibly supporting also sata III for the newest 3TB hard disks).
    - have USB ports(s) for additional storage options
    - If possible, reproduce and record High Definition digital TV channels

So, basically I would like an updated Cyclone to reproduce AND record.
    I know that for a period in 2010 and 2011 you could buy a Cyclone HD2, which had 1080p media support, the double tuner and recorder and Hard disk support (but probably not High Definition tv channels support), but even that is now out of stock everywhere and not produced anymore.

I see now a HUGE amount of devices sold and discussed, but they all seem just media players, but incredibly cannot find players which are ALSO recorders at the same time (let alone with dual DTB tuners)!!!!

Can anyone recommend a few models of Medial PLAYER AND RECORDER (pvr) for these basic needs?

2. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    A HTPC would probably be the best option IMO. Media players are usually pretty poor with support for digital TV reception and often the best support is only DVB-T rather than DVB-T2 as used in the UK for Hi Def TV channels. I don't know of anything that can do this except for a HTPC.