Media Player Advice

Sy1441

Currently have a WDTV Live in the sitting room with 2 hard disks plugged in to it which it shares nicely on my network. I also have another NAS which I can access from it.

In the kitchen, main bedroom and sitting room I also have Apple TV's which allows me to stream my music which is store on the Mac in my office around the house and control it with my iPad, only problem with just using these is the lack of HD.

I've just put a 1080p 40" LCD on the wall in the bedroom and want a media streamer that can connect to my network wirelessly and stream HD content from the NAS.

Whats the best option, not really fussed on price, just want the best device for my needs.

MarkE19

Not only do you need a near perfect wifi signal for streaming HD video, but you also need it to be wireless N as wireless G just isn't fast enough.

If you want a better chance of streaming HD to the bedroom then the best advice is to run a long CAT5e cable. But if this is not practicle then you can get an AV Homeplug setup that uses your homes mains wiring to transfer the signal to any room.

Mark.

Sy1441

Not only do you need a near perfect wifi signal for streaming HD video, but you also need it to be wireless N as wireless G just isn't fast enough.

If you want a better chance of streaming HD to the bedroom then the best advice is to run a long CAT5e cable. But if this is not practicle then you can get an AV Homeplug setup that uses your homes mains wiring to transfer the signal to any room.

Mark.

Got a near perfect wireless N signal so that shouldn't cause an issue. Can stream from my NAS which is wired into my router downstairs to my pc no problems so a media streamer should be the same.

next010

Distinguished Member
You can get away with wireless and HD if you have compressed your movies using something like x264 but if it's raw untouched video stream from Blu-ray that rarely ever works over wireless unless as stated in near perfect conditions.

Dune TV or WDTV Live either would do fine.

Sy1441

You can get away with wireless and HD if you have compressed your movies using something like x264 but if it's raw untouched video stream from Blu-ray that rarely ever works over wireless unless as stated in near perfect conditions.

Dune TV or WDTV Live either would do fine.

Ive got a WDTV live at the moment, do they not need wired in? All my movies are compressed in mkv's.

MarkE19

All my movies are compressed in mkv's.
Depending on how you created the MKV's there is a good chance that they are not compressed. MKV is just a container and with the likes of MakeMKV the audio & video on a DVD or BD is a direct copy with no compression and therefore no loss of quality.
So if they are not compressed they will still be difficault to get to play if streamed over wifi.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom