Question Media playback question

blackmesa8

Ex Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting to play back mkv's etc from my desktop PC that I normally use for gaming.
If I do how do I make it play back the content at the correct refresh rate?

PC is quite powerful, weakest part is G card that needs upgrading, currently has a gtx 970 rest of the PC is faster.

What is best media player i should get that will let me play back content at the current refresh rate and allow TV to enter 24p mode etc?

Thanks.

So there are no simple media players other than quite hardcore ones like kodi that can playback files properly?

I am thinking of starting to play back mkv's etc from my desktop PC that I normally use for gaming.
If I do how do I make it play back the content at the correct refresh rate?

PC is quite powerful, weakest part is G card that needs upgrading, currently has a gtx 970 rest of the PC is faster.

What is best media player i should get that will let me play back content at the current refresh rate and allow TV to enter 24p mode etc?

Thanks.

Plex on your PC add the Folder with your movies as a video source. Get a 4K firestick install MRMC in setup enable match frame rate. Add the folder on your PC in upnp shares to MrMc.

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: MrMC

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Plex on your PC add the Folder with your movies as a video source. Get a 4K firestick install MRMC in setup enable match frame rate. Add the folder on your PC in upnp shares to MrMc.

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: MrMC

how good is that app at supporting file types and codecs etc? I already have DLNA serviio running but i could change to plex if needed.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
how good is that app at supporting file types and codecs etc? I already have DLNA serviio running but i could change to plex if needed.

I have my firestick plugged into a Yamaha AV receiver. Pretty all my files are in a .mp4 container. Either 1920 x 1080 progressive or 1280 x 720 progressive at 23.976 fps mostly AAC stereo audio with H264/AVC video.

There might be a few in Matroska .MKV containers. I will have a look and check they play OK.

Not familiar with DLNA serviio (does it support native framerate auto switching like Plex and MrMC). Not sure if you are using a TV if AAC audio will work you would have to have a play. Incidentally the Amazon Prime Android Video app supports native framerate but not Netflix which plays at 60Hz. 24Hz video is very smooth with none of the jerkiness associated with recoding to 60Hz.

24Hz Full-HD Dolby Digital 5.1 filmed by my dslr works fine. Not tried any blu-ray rips but imagine they will work OK. Movie trailers work OK.

The firestick was only £25.00 in a recent prime day sale.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I only have one .MKV file and it won't play backon the firestick but will on my laptop. . Think it might be the 6 channel AAC audio that's the issue.

I will see if I can find a downloadable .mkv file.

I am gonna see how files play back direct from PC later with a few media players. If it is not acceptable and i doubt it will be I may be looking into installing plex and getting a Nvidia shield TV.

The Amazon Fire stick i think its hardware may be a bit too slow for some of the MKVs i playback including some 60fps ones which really hurt processors etc.

Struggling to find a .MKV they are all either .mp4 or .mov. Converting a large .mp4 to .mkv. It will take about 20 mins or so. I will let you know how I get on. I did consider a Nvidia shield but the price put me of. £25.00 is a lot more wallet friendly :)

Struggling to find a .MKV they are all either .mp4 or .mov. Converting a large .mp4 to .mkv. It will take about 20 mins or so. I will let you know how I get on. I did consider a Nvidia shield but the price put me of. £25.00 is a lot more wallet friendly :)

Install mkv toolnix MKVToolNix it will convert mp4 to mkv in about 2mins

Install mkv toolnix MKVToolNix it will convert mp4 to mkv in about 2mins

Thanks struggling with a .mp4 that McRC nor Kodi will stream to my firestick. Kodi and Plex both play it back on the laptop. I will try converting to .MKV. MediaInfo shows it's the same format as the ones that play.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom