Media PC to Amp & 5.1 Bluray

19been85

Standard Member
Hi guys,

Heard some really good things about this forum, so hopefully I can find some help here.

Im building a setup consisting of.

TV
In ceiling speakers (eventually in multiple rooms)
Amp (to power in ceiling speakers)
5.1 bluray Home theatre system
Sky HD
Media PC
sonos (eventually)

My problem is that I would like the Media PC to be able to run through the 5.1 bluray when watching movies, but alternately to the amp when i want to listen to music ONLY through the in ceiling speakers.

Any help would be massively appreciated

19been85

Standard Member
Im guessing I could ditch the 5.1 Bluray AIO and get an AV receiver with separate speakers. But then would I be able to separate the feed from the PC to receiver for watching movies (through the 5.1) and for music (through in ceiling)?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

Heard some really good things about this forum, so hopefully I can find some help here.

Im building a setup consisting of.

TV
In ceiling speakers (eventually in multiple rooms)
Amp (to power in ceiling speakers)
5.1 bluray Home theatre system
Sky HD
Media PC
sonos (eventually)

My problem is that I would like the Media PC to be able to run through the 5.1 bluray when watching movies, but alternately to the amp when i want to listen to music ONLY through the in ceiling speakers.

Any help would be massively appreciated

If you wanted your media PC to work with both, you would have to check that you can output via two audio connections at the same time. Usually you have to go into the audio setup and set the audio connection. This might be a bit of a faff. I am not that clued up with sound cards. Maybe they can output over spdif/HDMI and analogue at the same time, you would need to check. The headphone socket is probably 'live' all the time but it's lower quality.

Im guessing I could ditch the 5.1 Bluray AIO and get an AV receiver with separate speakers. But then would I be able to separate the feed from the PC to receiver for watching movies (through the 5.1) and for music (through in ceiling)?

Some AV Receivers have a speaker A/B or A+B option. The speaker B output is a mirror of the speaker A output, so it's not true multi-room but would work as you propose. However, why would you want in-ceiling speakers for music? Decent ones cost a lot of money. I would probably look at a better set of 5.1 speakers using a decent pair of front bookshelf's or floor standers and matching centre. The rears can be small compact speakers. In-wall/in-ceiling can work for 5.1 and stereo but they cost considerably more than standard speakers. Are you just wanting background music?

Ultimately multi-room isn't cheap and can get complex so you will need to decide on how many zones you have and how they will be controlled and amplified. I have a relative cheap and simple multi-room setup. I have a Squeezebox in a bedroom hooked up to a cheap stereo amp with speaker A/B output feeding in-wall speakers (bedroom) and in-ceiling (bathroom). I have never used the multi-zone facility on any of my AV receivers, simply as running the cables would be a pain to achieve. There is another Squeezebox in my main setup. I still use it a lot, despite my AV receiver being able to stream music from PC/Mac and also my iPhone. The iPhone streaming works brilliantly but the streaming from the PC/Mac is clunky to say the least. The Squeezebox beats all of them hands down. Sonos is obviously a more polished and expensive option but lacks the customisation options of Squeezebox.

How many zones will you have? Do you want the same music playing in all zones or do you want to be able to control each zone independently? Most options can now utilise iOS devices (iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone) and to a lesser extent Android devices as controllers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom