1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media PC sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by stoner, Sep 1, 2005.

1. stoner

stoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

I just loaded up a pic of the back of my new speakers. The sub is essentially the amp so it should do the work. can I get 5.1 sound from a PC to these speakers?

Attached Files:

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    What sub is it? Do you have a link to the specs?

You can have analouge outs from a PC, and the PC decodes DD/DTS and does base management etc, but its easier for the PC to outpouts via SPDIF, and let an amp decode the suround sound.

Also note, that 5.1 from your PC would onl;y be when playing DVDs. Does your NTL box output 5.1? (sky only outputs 5.1 on 3 channels as far as I know). And even if it does, I don't think PCs can handle it yet (ie, take the 5.1 input, record it, and output it again).

3. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    assuming that the above is an amp which is a fairly common set up, then if you go the PC route for 5.1 You need to be aware of the following.

Connections

Generally you will have 3x3.5mm stereo mini jacks at the back of your PC, either on the motherboard, or on the soundcard. So you'll need three leads that go 2xmini jack to 2xphono. Easily available from Maplins. If you prefer, go 3xStereo Analogue Interconnects (ie a pair of phono to phono) and get three minijack to dual phono converters from Maplins instead.

As Trigaar said you then need to ensure that your DVD player software can decode Dolby Digital, and/or DTS. This is not a big issue, but be aware you may need to pay more.

However this is generic advice, you have not supplied enough information or a big enough picture to really tell what's going on.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Alternatively, get a surround sound amp and connect the surround speakers to the amp at high level (Speaker cable) and connect the sub via line level (RCA cable). I would have thought you'd get a better sound from a dedicated amp to decode the DD/DTS and power the speakers instead of using the PC to decode and the integrated amp in the sub.

Richie.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    But you cannot play games/dvd audio in 5.1 if you let the amp decode, have to use analogue outputs for that...unless you have a card with a built in dolby digital decoder..., but I still don't see how that will compare the the sound quality of an audigy..

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, not a games buff but why can't you play 5.1 audio from games through SPDIF ? I understand about DVDA, is this the same for games ?

Richie.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Sure you can mate, the SPDIF on a motherboard will output a 5.1 signal for dvd and games, and an amp will decode it just fine.

8. stoner

stoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info lads , it seems that the sound is going to be a problem in my new set up.
    I was hoping to not have an amp. I have a sony amp that will connect to these speakers but i dont want to use it as I'd like the Media PC ( not built yet) to be the only hardware I have.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the speaker set i have will do all the work and that I only need to get the right output signals from a sound card to get everything to work
    These are the speakers I have
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-SURROUND-SPE...803013521QQcategoryZ14996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    not great quality but I gave em a quick blast on my DVD player and they sound good. I also have some new decent 4 sqmm cable i bought from CPC that should cary the sound well ( the speakers prob dont deserve the cable)
    I was looking at this case
    http://www.hifiatx.com/
    but its very expensive as I'm building a whole system, I want the money in the CPC and graphics card.
    If you notice the back of this case that it has outputs that I think would connect to the 5.1 set up I've mentioned.
    I was hoping for something similar,

Thanks again

Stoner

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stoner, you can get Sound Cards that have 5.1 output. Use one of these and conenct straight to the sub then on to the speakers. It will mean you will have 6 cables from the sound card to the sub though.

Richie.

10. stoner

stoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great stuff richjthorpe

now, my next questions, where do i get em whats good etc, whats a reasonable price to pay what do you recommend.

thanks again

11. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    No you cannot, a sound card can only pass a 2 channel PCM signal through SPDIF, only Bitstreams such as dolby or dts or wma can be sent as 5.1, so if you want to play games in 5.1 via spdif you need to convert the 5.1 game audio into a bitsteam such as dolby or dts..so you need a card with an inbuilt dolby or dts encoder...

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I don't believe you (I'm not suggesting you are deliberately lying). Lots of people on this board connect their HTPC to their AV amp via SPDIF, and they get 5.1 DD/DTS from their PC.

Are you saying that to get 5.1 from your PC to your AMP, you can't use the SPDIF, you have to use multiple analogue outs?

13. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    meansizzler, as triggaar says it's quite easily possible to send 2ch/DD/DTS via SPDIF.
    100's (1000's) of people on these forums are doing exactly that.

I think you're getting just a bit confused about things generally with regards to 5.1 output.

14. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I have never set-up an HTPC, but intend to set-up mine soon, and if I couldn't send 5.1 via, SPDIF it would be a problem.

If you can't send 5.1 via SPDIF, what is my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 manual talking about when it says "When sending AC-3 ('Dolby Digital' 5.1 surround sound) via the Audiophile S/PDIF OUT port to an external decoder, ..."?

15. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    You have no worries mate, I was happily sending 5.1, 7.1 via my 2496 SPDIF.

'sizzler has got the wrong end of the stick completely...

16. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Stoner,

Have a look at the M-Audio or SoundBlaster stuff. I'm not the best person to ask as I don't have a sound card but I do know about the AV receivers and surround sound.

Just taken a lok at the M-Audio cards and they only have one ouput for Front Left and Right, one output for Rear Left and Right and one for the sub. DVD players normally have 6 outputs, FL, FR, RL, RR, C and Sub.

Can someone with a soundcard help with connecting this stuff together ?

Edit - Friday afternoon and being really stupid. The outputs on the cards are stereo Jacks so you would need 2 x Stereo Jack to twin Phonos for the Fronts and Rears, 2 x mono Jack to Phono for the Centre and Sub.

HTH,

Richie.

17. stoner

stoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    The outpust at the back of this case will connect to my amp
    http://www.hifiatx.com/

I want to get these outputs for my new PC i dont mind all the cables from the sound card to the sub. I can get the jack plug to phone splitters etc
    I dont think SDPIF comes into it.

18. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    That link isn't showing me anything, so not entirely sure what you mean, but... to clarrify, a case on it's own, can't pass any outputs to anything. Case outputs need to be connect on the inside to the motherboard, or a card, so those are what you need to look at. Case outputs are only to make connections easier for you.

19. stoner

stoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again trigger,
    The page opens up blank, you have to move the the mouse onto the gallery text up the top, then look at the pic int the bottom right.
    I dont expect the case to come with a MB and a 5.1 output, but this pic shows this set up ie someone fitted them afterwards. Its also reviewed in the oct 05 issue of Personal Computer world, in the mag it also shows it with 5.1 outputs, its just that their position does not line up with any slots on the MB.

Thanks for all the help, I think with some goofing around I'll get it sorted, I'll order some splitters soon

Enjoy the weekend

Edit
    ahh ok i read the text a bit more, this case comes with 8 RCA jacks and a scart prefitted that you
    "maybe able to connect to some internal cards or motherboard headers"
    Sorted , its not what i want ( unless this internal card existed then it would be great)
    I'm going to just get the splitters

Edit

For the record I've uploaded a pic of the back of the case ( with HW someone added in)

Attached Files: