Media PC for Sky recording?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stuff, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it possible to setup a WMC 2005 Media PC with an analog TV tuner as a PVR for programmable remote recording of sequential Sky transmissions on different Sky channels?

eg. I want to setup the PVR to record "Stargate" on Sky One from 7-8pm followed by "Men Behaving Badly" from 8-9am on UKGold (whilst I'm down the pub).

My assumption is that I can feed my Sky RF-out to the analog PCI card, program remote recording via the EPG then Windows Media Centre will automatically change channels from Sky One to UKGold at 8am on my Sky Pace Box via the IR blaster cable ....... or do I have to rush back from the pub at 8pm and switch channels manually?

For Freeview I know I can just use a Digital DVB-T card and the EPG.

I had a quick trawl for info on existing threads but couldn't see anything obvious. Apologies if this info is already posted elsewhere.

Thx

2. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, no takers on this one?

I talked to the guy in PC World last night and he couldn't give me any pointers on the IR Blaster theory, however he did suggest using the "Autoview" and "Series Link" options under the normal Sky Personal Planner menu to auto switch the Sky channel and allow a PVR to record whatever channel is tuned-in during the pre-programmed record times. So, as lomg as Sky and the PVR are in sync this should work.

Not the most elegant solution but it should work for as far out as the Sky EPG details are published.

3. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone comes up with an answer because I would like to know as well. Media centre 2005 has received rave reviews this time.

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    I know quite a lot about MCE after months of research and finally getting it on my home PC. The IR blaster will change channel on your sky box to the correct channel before recording begins so yes you can do what you want without rushing back from the pub. You have to "teach" mce the codes for your sky box when you set it up and then download the epg from the internet then all you do is highlight the program you want on the epg and press record, the rest is done for you (much like sky+).

5. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Sandman.

I'd read about this in a PC mag yesterday (PCW or PC Advisor had a feature about MCE) but it didn't go into the details, so glad to hear that it works properly. I figured that the Sky Channels need to mapped to MCE so no surprise there. Just hope the EPG doen't take too long to download over 56K ....... I live out in the sticks between Strathaven & Darvel so no broadband planned out here :(

Anyway, that gives me the green light to go build a SFF PC system or plump for the Elonex Artisan PC. Just need to decide whether I want to play games or not .... mmmm?

Thx again.

6. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Man, you're a keen :) Pub before work eh? nice!! Gotta try it ;) hehe