Media- or Blu Ray Player needed: NVIIDIA Shield vs Zappiti vs Zidoo vs Panasonic DP-UB820 vs ?

fzst

Hi guys, I'm currently a little lost in regards of the best solution to play Video files on my LG CX.

I have started to build a film library and already have a few TB of content on harddrive in addition to my blu ray collection (which is quite small). Now I'm wondering what the best solution is to play them, since I currently only have the naked TV. I will eventually build a hometheater again (well at least a 5.1 system) but I currently mostly rely on headphones for good audio, since I live in a quite noisy apartment at the moment anyway. In the meantime I like to at least make the best out the picture quality when watching movies, i.e. playing high bitrate video files. I use streaming as well of course but since the CX got me covered there (I use Netflix, Prime and Disney+) I just need a media player and maybe a Blu Ray Player, which is not on top of the priority list right now though.

So I am currently looking for a simple and affordable solution, meaning I'm not after the last 3% in picture quality but I like a device that doesn't take a significant toll on the the picture. I just don't know, what the smartest course of action is right now.

Do I get a Blu Ray player that can play video files via USB as well despite the fact that I don't really desperatly need to be able to play back blu rays at the moment (I don't own any UHD discs right now just older FHD ones but I might buy more in the future)?
Do I just buy a streaming box that can decode everything like the NVIDIA Shield, despite the fact that I don't really need it's streaming or app capabilities at all?
Do I get a dedicated Media Player, which does indeed look very convenient to have your library sorted like this but every box I read about seems to have some minor or major problems. The Zappiti looks pretty much perfect but the lack of Dolby Vision is a deal breaker, the Zidoo on the other hand does have it (well at least when playing mkv files) but seems to be lacking in the picture quality departement (raised blacks etc).

I know in an ideal world, I would just buy three devices but I would prefer to get just one to keep it simple and cost effective.

I guess I'm just asking about your general opinion on the subject and for any advice on which device to get, I appreciate any pointers thx.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
The TV can play back media via USB too so that is the simplest solution as long as you process the BD discs via MakeMKV to dump video in .mkv container.

A cheaper alternative to the Shield is get the OSMC Vero 4K+

It will play back Blu-ray 4K HDR content from USB drives, it runs a customized version of Kodi, its a better media player than than whats in the TV with wider media support and built in media library scanner.

fzst

The TV can play back media via USB too so that is the simplest solution as long as you process the BD discs via MakeMKV to dump video in .mkv container.

A cheaper alternative to the Shield is get the OSMC Vero 4K+

It will play back Blu-ray 4K HDR content from USB drives, it runs a customized version of Kodi, its a better media player than than whats in the TV with wider media support and built in media library scanner.
Thx for the pointer. Yes I know the LG plays back video files as well but it doesn't have the ability to decode DTS Soundtracks which renders it pretty nuch useless as a player.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom