Media Guardian reports BBC HD preparations

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Stephen Neal, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Media Guardian article

You need to register to read it if you aren't already. The thrust of the article (though I think there are some errors) - is that the BBC have signed a deal with SES for more transponder space on Astra to allow them to "re-configure" their satellite services to "meet the aspirations of their audience".

This is almost certainly code for "launching HD services"... Unless they are planning on launching more BBCi multi-screens or upping the bitrate on DSat - what else could more transponders be used for?

(I don't think the LocalTV plans are close to fruition yet...)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Interesting they have aquired a transponder on 2A which would negate the argument that only 2D allows them to broadcast FTA due to it's tighter footprint.

However if they are offering BBC in house productions then I suspect there would not be any issues with broadcast rights anyway. Might be a different story if the BBC look to aquire HD content from Hollywood, another trip on the negotiation roundabout:)

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Yep - though when I first read the Mediaguardian article they attributed the 2A transponders to Sky not the BBC - so I wasn't entirely sure their facts were completely correct.

As you say 2A would be a wide footprint - and whilst probably OK for in-house stuff - there might be issues for sporting and films.

Of course I guess there will be an argument that if they are using MPEG4 - even FTA - it isn't a widespread format.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  5. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With 3 transponders and 3 channels per transponder using DVB-S2, that works out at ~15 Mbps by my reckoning. That would produce good quality MPEG-2 HD. With MPEG-4 AVC the quality should be excellent. Of course the Guardian article may be totally wrong about the number of channels and transponders.;)

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Yes - especially as they don't say how many transponders the BBC have bought - unless the BSkyB is a typo for BBC...

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    According to SES the BBC have bought a single transponder on 2A thus giving them a total of 7 although one of them is on 2B which carries some interactive and radio streams.