Media for Pioneer 106

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sam, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I realise this must be a pretty common question, but I've searched and can't find an answer.

Basically, I'd just like to know what brands and media people who have the above drive like to use? Anything to definitely steer clear of? Anything that works almost flawlessly?

Cheers for any advice,

Sam

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The 106 is pretty good with most types of media - the problem is when you try to read it in another device or settop dvd player !

IMO the best 'unbranded' media is disks that use the 'Ritek' dye - Datasafe again IMO is a good low cost brand. Princo dye is generally regarded as the lowest quality but I have never actually had any bad disks myself (maybe I was lucky).

Of course, if you want the utmost reliability, then stay branded such as Verbatim, TDK etc but expect to pay a premium per disk.

I hope this helps...

:)

3. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats great.

Cheer Teerex, I might try some Datasafe's I saw on SVP.

4. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have used datasafe dvd-/+r discs and had no problems burning over 150 discs and all play on major stand alone dvd plyrs.i have the pioneer 106d in the pc.also if anyone has the liteon 5001 from currys at £149.99,then you have a good deal considering what the machine does.im new at standalone dvd recorders so this recorder at that price suited me fine.currys machine has the fan at the rear of it,so liteon must have updated it.

5. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also--- when i record on a dvd+rw i want to burn it onto another disc (dvd-/+r) on my pc ,so i can free up the rw disc.because rw discs are more expensive.has anyone done this yet?what software do you use?also what is the video_rm folder?

6. Whitetop

Whitetop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good recommended disc for the Pioneer 106 is the Pio Data, it is a ritek G04 dye and apparently it has a pioneer coding on the inner ring so the pioneers love it. they are approx £35.00 per 100 at www.disccity.co.uk. I have used them in my 106 with no probs whatsoever.

7. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use datasafe x4 speed £9.99 for 25 from svp.i can get my pioneer 106 to burn to any disc make ,BUT will they work on the many brands of stand alone dvd players on the market? NO they won't! i tried many brands and many of them were not compatable.so i tried datasafe brand from recomendation.i have had no trouble yet.they work on 90% of the machines out their.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I use the 'copy disk' feature in Nero 5.5 (or later) and has worked every time for me. Would assume other burning utilities would have the same feature if you don't have Nero.
    A free utility to copy disks is 'DVD Shrink' that can be downloaded off the net and has also worked very well for me.

Mark.