Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 6

Hi Caldirun
Have you reserved the ip address on your router.
I set the Foxsat HDR to DHCP but the router will always give it the same ip address.
If not reserved the router could give HDRs ip address to something else, also I think the HDR prefers to be set to DHCP.
They are both on static (reserved) addresses, I have just tested the other HDR, it did the same after a certain time, may be a lease time issue but I did not think static addresses had lease times.

One of my Foxsat HDRs changes the Ip address after I send a file to it via Samba. It is set as a static address on my router but as soon as the file finishes downloading its shown at a random address and connection time is shown as a few minutes. Any suggestions as to what is happening/ (it has worked ok for many years, never had a problem like this before)

If you specify a fixed IP address on the Foxsat configuration screen, does that change when the problem occurs?

OK, I think I messed up (doing config on one too many glasses of merlot :-( )

I did the upgrade to the epg (install updates) the log said:

Upgrading epg on root from 1.8.0 to 1.9.0...

Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/epg_1.9.0_mips.opk.
Backing up /opt/webif/plugin/epg/epgsettings.db...
Not deleting modified conffile /opt/epg/DefAuthInit.sql.
Not deleting modified conffile /opt/epg/epg.db.
Not deleting modified conffile /opt/epg/channels.db.
Restoring /opt/webif/plugin/epg/epgsettings.db...

Existing conffile /opt/epg/channels.db is different from the conffile in the new package.
The new conffile will be placed at /opt/epg/channels.db-opkg.

Existing conffile /opt/epg/epg.db is different from the conffile in the new package.
The new conffile will be placed at /opt/epg/epg.db-opkg.

Existing conffile /opt/epg/DefAuthInit.sql is different from the conffile in the new package.
The new conffile will be placed at /opt/epg/DefAuthInit.sql-opkg.
Configuring epg.

Which I took to mean I'd somehow edited these files and the new version had not been installed. So when the EPG just showed as empty I did:

mv file file.old
cp file.db-opkg file

for the 3 files above. It didn't help, restarted Humax, left it overnight and still it says:

screenshot.jpg

I'm guessing I messed up the database (copying while in use?)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 29
The installation messages you noted are perfectly normal.

1. Put the original files (that you've renamed to *.old) back in place.
  2. Reboot the Humax
  3. Go into the Guide pages using the Humax remote
  4. Background audio will be muted while a new EPG is downloaded
  5. Wait for the background audio to return
  6. Reboot the Humax
  7. Wait 5-10 minutes
  8. WebIf EPG should now be in place

...and it's back ...!

@adrianf36 thanks for that

The installation messages you noted are perfectly normal.

Yea, that occured to me when I reread it in a sober frame of mind :-(

Humm , stumbled upon some odd files....

I have a number of "series record" of "Family Guy" ,,,,they appear in a directory called "Family Guy" (not , for example NEW Family Guy" ...looking on the Humax , in addition to the files in "Family Guy/" there are a number in the top-level:

Code:
Humax2/mnt/hd3/Video# ls -l

total 18816224

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     122908736 Oct  8 19:26 0.nts

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     19126026240 Oct  8 19:26 0.ts

drwxr-xr-x  148 root     root         20480 Oct  8 19:18 Family Guy

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1077 Aug  1 00:54 Family Guy_20220801_0054.hmt

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1077 Aug  1 01:19 Family Guy_20220801_0119.hmt

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1077 Sep 20 00:44 Family Guy_20220920_0044.hmt

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1077 Oct  7 00:44 Family Guy_20221007_0044.hmt

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1077 Sep 19 23:44 New_ Family Guy_20220919_2344.hmt

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            19 Oct  8 19:25 stderr

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             0 Oct  8 19:25 stdout

Just .hmt files , no .ts or .nts , looking at one:

Code:
Humax2/mnt/hd3/Video# hmt 'Family Guy_20220920_0044.hmt'                  
Format: SD
Title: Family Guy
Channel: 113 (ITV2)
Folder: /mnt/hd3/Video/
Filename: Family Guy_20220920_0044.ts
EPG:

Flags: SD,New,Unconverted,
Copy count: 0

Segmentation fault
Humax2/mnt/hd3/Video#

They all do this. To be clear it's hmt that's segfaulting (its not a message in the file :) )

Code:
Humax2/mnt/hd3/Video# hmt 'Family Guy_20220920_0044.hmt' 2> stderr
Format: SD
Title: Family Guy
Channel: 113 (ITV2)
Folder: /mnt/hd3/Video/
Filename: Family Guy_20220920_0044.ts
EPG:

Flags: SD,New,Unconverted,
Copy count: 0

Humax2/mnt/hd3/Video# cat stderr
Segmentation fault

An the file mentioned Family Guy_20220920_0044.ts does not exist.

Now there are a whole bunch of .hmt files in the "Family Guy/" directory, they display fine, the .ts files etc exist as they should . These files (above) are both "broken" and in t he wrong place, odd?

scheduled-events.jpg

Humm, couple of logs of interest...
log.jpg
log2.jpg

Last edited:
Channel Icons v1.57 & Default Authority
Includes the following Icons:
QVC HD (Ch 800) - New Icon
QVC Style HD (Ch 803) - New Icon
TalkTV (Ch 217) - New Icon
CRAFT EXTRA (Ch 817) - New Icon
E4 Extra (Ch 181) - New Icon
RealityXtra UK (Ch 134) - New Icon
Legend (Ch 137) - New Icon
HorrorXtra (Ch 138) - New Icon
HorrorXtra +1 (Ch 139) - New Icon

Update your package list in the usual way for the package(s) listed in the "Upgrades" tab.

The Default Authority list has also been updated. Remember to reboot the Foxsat-HDR after updating your package list to pick up the updated Default Authority data.
This Default Authority file also contains the data for C4 HD regions and BBC TWO NI HD for when they appear on Freesat.

Hi

My EPG seems not be updating and recordings are not working again - is this a recurrence of the EPG fault or has something else gone wrong?

Thank you
Kyle

ETA: I am on 1.9.0 and last EPG update seems to have been on 1st November

Last edited:
Well I’ve discovered the answer - both tuners showing no signal strength so either the LNB has given up the ghost the box has finally had enough?

Well I’ve discovered the answer - both tuners showing no signal strength so either the LNB has given up the ghost the box has finally had enough?
That's bad news. I had the same problem a couple of months back. It was the LNB - the front cover had come off at some point, so water had got in and both feeds stopped working at the same time.

That's bad news. I had the same problem a couple of months back. It was the LNB - the front cover had come off at some point, so water had got in and both feeds stopped working at the same time.
Many thanks for the reply, I’ve just got hold of someone local who charges 65 pounds - that might be high but they’re coming tomorrow at least so I’m hoping it’s that and nothing more serious.

Many thanks for the reply, I’ve just got hold of someone local who charges 65 pounds - that might be high but they’re coming tomorrow at least so I’m hoping it’s that and nothing more serious.
Yes, hopefully it's as simple as that. I'm dreading the day that the actual box dies!

Hi

So the satellite guy has been round who was very good and I now have my dual feed back with very good 85/90 strength - but I cannot see the epg on my PC, it just times out after 10 or so seconds and doesn’t populate? On actual box the guide is populated and I have tried reboots and power recycles but nothing is letting me access it remotely? I can access my recordings over the network still,

but I cannot see the epg on my PC
I assume that the "satellite guy" came round today to resolve the issue. The EPG for the web interface is only refreshed once per day during the housekeeping boot at 3am, so it won't be updated automatically until tomorrow morning.

If you want the EPG refreshed in the web interface sooner you will have to:
  1. Go into the "Guide" pages on the Humax via the remote control
  2. The background audio will be muted while the EPG is downloaded and some form of "updating ...." message is displayed at the top of the TV screen
  3. Wait for the "updating ..." message to disappear. The background audio will also return at the same time.
  4. Reboot the Humax
  5. Wait 5-10 minutes and try the EPG pages on the Web Interface again. You should be good to go.
  6. If you try accessing the Web Interface EPG before the new data is processed you'll see a message saying that "New EPG Data has been found and is being processed" at the bottom of the Web Interface EPG screen

Many thanks Adrian - I did go into the guide on the box and seemed to have data after a while with returned audio but wasn’t picking it on pc after box reboots.

I did vaguely remember I could press the red button when the guide was on (I think it was) which instantly brought populated data and background sound on and then after a few moments, then the EPG worked on the pc. Many thanks for the help.

As it turns out my dish and lnb were very old so he did replace all and the engineer is going to revisit in a couple of weeks to run a third cable from the dish to another box (possibly not humax) just for watching satellite in bedroom. 👍

Hi
I'm getting the "No default authority data available for this channel Unable to set the recording" message with the new ITV 4 HD channel on Freesat.

I've Updated Package list and rebooted.
I get the "Updating EPG DefaultAuth information" when updating package list but still can't record.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Andrew

I’ve prepared the DefaultAuthority and channel icons but I rely on someone else to publish them to the server from which the downloads take place.

Thanks David.

Of course, I remember when we had the recent epg issues someone else had to publish the fix.

Thanks again to all involved

DefaultAuthority Update

Update your package list in the usual way for the package(s) listed in the "Upgrades" tab.

The Default Authority list has also been updated. Remember to reboot the Foxsat-HDR after updating your package list to pick up the updated Default Authority data.

I'd noticed that the EPG has niot been updated and I'd thought that it was something to do with my new fibre broadband. A relief that others have had the same problem.

However, it's been ages since I've "played" with my Humax settings, and I'm afraid that I can't remember how to access this stuff!!! (My daughter tells me that I'm suffering from cognitive degeneration! I'm 76!)

Can SKS point me in the right direction please. Where do I find the "Upgrades" Tab? On the Humax? or on the webpage somewhere!

Sorry. I feel like an idiot!
Philip

I'd noticed that the EPG has niot been updated and I'd thought that it was something to do with my new fibre broadband. A relief that others have had the same problem.

However, it's been ages since I've "played" with my Humax settings, and I'm afraid that I can't remember how to access this stuff!!! (My daughter tells me that I'm suffering from cognitive degeneration! I'm 76!)

Can SKS point me in the right direction please. Where do I find the "Upgrades" Tab? On the Humax? or on the webpage somewhere!

Sorry. I feel like an idiot!
Philip
OK, I'd found the upgrade tab - it's on the Humax, stupid!
Now to run the upgrades to see whether this solves the problem!

OK, I'd found the upgrade tab - it's on the Humax, stupid!
Now to run the upgrades to see whether this solves the problem!
Nope! I've got EPG 1.9.0 and I've rebooted the Humax, but no joy!

Where do I go on from here? I'm no techie!

1670075100397.png

1670075061586.png

First check that you can receive the Home Transponder for the live EPG : using the Humax UI not WebIF

LCN Ch999 Freesat Info: Then Menu - System - Diagnostics for signal/quality numbers.

If not received well then EPG isn't received quickly (and even quick is many minutes).

A mains power down and back on again would be my next recommendation. (That ensures a time/date update to the box happens - probably from the home transponder, though.)

EDIT (again).
WebIf EPG is updated during the overnight 'houskeeping boot'.
But it can be done manually as well:
While no recordings are being made:
Press Guide on the remote, to download the EPG: the Foxsat-HDR sound will disappear -- wait until sound returns
Reboot the -HDR (put in standby, wait until all activity stops, turn on from standby again).
The WebIF will rebuild its Guide from that but it will take some 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom