Quantcast

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 6

Kyle1974

Novice Member
Hi

I had totally forgotten I had an account here!

Anyway, I was just doing some checking and realised I had not installed the Remote Scheduling app.
Is there anything else I am missing thats obvious and/or how do I check the CF and other settings to make sure I am up to date please?

Thanks
Kyle

ETA: I am messing around with PuppyLinux and trying to access the Humax through network share and the IP address but it is asking for password/username? I don't have to do that when I log in through Linux or Windows? Is there anything I am missing?

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
how do I check the CF and other settings to make sure I am up to date please?
Use WebIF to check for latest updates and apply them.
(Assuming you are running CF v 4.1.3, if not do that first)

Use WebIF to :rtfm: contained therein for other features you may want/need and how to install/remove and use them.

Check you have Nowster's patch applied (HD files will be flagged enc if not).

Kyle1974

Novice Member
Use WebIF to check for latest updates and apply them.
(Assuming you are running CF v 4.1.3, if not do that first)

Use WebIF to :rtfm: contained therein for other features you may want/need and how to install/remove and use them.

Check you have Nowster's patch applied (HD files will be flagged enc if not).
Great, thank you - I think I just needed to the Nowster patch - no idea how I have missed this all the time but it's a huge bonus!

TJT1

Make sure that you get the Nowster's with 'utc' in the filename.

Kyle1974

Novice Member
Brilliant! It worked!

Another quick question since I'm on a roll (!) - when I watch anything back over my network, it defaults to the Audio Description track - is there a way to change it? It's not a big issue, I'm just curious

TJT1

Yes there is but I can't remember how it's done. It is documented here somewhere or I think @grahamlthompson knows about it. Not certain though and it's too late for me to go searching.

TJT1

Thanks for the 'bail out' David

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Make sure you have at least double the existing file space on your Hard Disk if you choose the back up option. This copies the existing files and creates a 2nd converted file. In all the years I have used this I have never lost a file. I would ignore the backup option :)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thank you, is that a one time permanent change or a case of running it every few weeks?
You need to run it at least once on all your existing files. Set reversion from the root of the Video Folder. It will take a long time. Once all your files have converted it will recognise new unconverted files and convert them. You may want to set a power on timer for say an hour every morning if you make a lot of recordings so when you boot the box to use them all files will be converted. Provided you don't try and stream or copy a file before the file is converted it's flawless. The files can be viewed remotely if you have a G2 Humax PVR. As this avoids the Foxsat somewhat soft HDMI output it actually improves the picture quality.

Kyle1974

Novice Member
That's great thank you. I'm also trying to remember if I changed the drive space allocation. I seem to think I altered things when I upgraded the hard drive, but that must be 8 years ago maybe?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
That's great thank you. I'm also trying to remember if I changed the drive space allocation. I seem to think I altered things when I upgraded the hard drive, but that must be 8 years ago maybe?

If you mean you changed the allocation to make the Video partition the largest it can be that's fine. I also did that years ago using a 1TB drive. There is plenty of room to run the CF and packages.

cozzykim

Hi to all the good folks on this thread.
It's been a while since I installed the custom firmware, although I still use the Foxsat HDR.
I had a crash of the original 320GB Humax disk, so I installed a spare (ex Sky) 500GB disk and booted it up.
I now have the system up and running again, except that I can't install the full web interface as the basic webif page says that "Error - ping to host failed hpkg.tv is unreachable"
I tried to install individual packages and dependencies from "hummypkg.org.uk" but I've got in a catch 22 with the 'webif', 'webif docs' and 'channel icons' packages, as they all fail to install saying that they're dependent on each other.

I've installed/rebooted/installed/rebooted dozens of times and I'm going cross eyed.

Can someone point me to the correct way to get the webif installed?

EDIT: The packages I've installed so far have all been via USB,

Thanks. Cozzykim

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Brilliant! It worked!

Another quick question since I'm on a roll (!) - when I watch anything back over my network, it defaults to the Audio Description track - is there a way to change it? It's not a big issue, I'm just curious
You need Raydons convert files add on which changes the track priority.

Set it to process recursively from the root video folder. Do not choose the backup option if you have a llot of files as it copies the original file before it creates the converted one doubling the space required.

It runs automatically on boot and may take a while to convert them. The progress is shown as it converts files. Do not attempt to copy a file until conversion is complete.

The RAR can be downloaded from here

This installs a basic Webif which copies the files when you first access your box IP address.

TJT1

except that I can't install the full web interface as the basic webif page says that "Error - ping to host failed hpkg.tv is unreachable"
Sounds like you have a network IP address problem. Can you see that the Hummy is connected to your router (at the router admin page)?

cozzykim

Yes, I have the HDR connected via ethernet.
I've seen other posts that make me wonder whether it's because I have a Three 4G router/broadband and it's something to do with the DNS server/IP address.
I've used vi in a telnet terminal, (EDIT: From my Linux laptop) to try changing the /etc/resolv.conf to point at Google etc, but no change.
I can ping the Foxsat repository from a terminal, no problem, so that's why I think it might be a DNS issue.
If I could copy the 3 interdependent webif packages into /opt/tmp and run the installer with the -force --depends option for webif, then I'm sure that it would work, but I'm not au fait with using telnet to copy files.
I have a 3.5" SATA adapter arriving today, so I'll be able to look at the HDR's root directories directly and see what's there.
Just call me 'Heath Robinson' ;)
Thanks for the reply.

cozzykim

Update.
I was able to install the full webif, by adding a subfolder to the USB stick and putting all the packages that require dependencies in there to prevent auto installing them at boot.
I then cd'd to the USB subfolder in telnet and ran the 'opkg install webif_2.75_mips.opk --force-depends' command followed by 'webif docs' and 'channel icons'.
Followed up with the rest of the packages that I require, in the correct order to satisfy their dependencies.
All is now working on the local network, but I still can't add packages using the webif 'package management' route, as I get the message:

Code:
wget: bad address 'hpkg.tv'
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
Updating package meta information.
Seems as suggested that it's an IP/DNS problem.
I'll keep looking...

Trending threads

Latest News

MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Film festivals move online: We Are One starts 29th May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published