Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have electronics experience. The internal ir sensor disconnects when i plug the external ir sensor into the rear mounted socket i have installed. The ir sensor turns out to be a standard 3 leg affair. It may seem extreme, but after adding the sw upgrades this box is so good that the only things that would make it perfect (for 'er indoors) was the remote operation. Also, turning off the lcd backlights stops the attention of the kids to start messing about with it!

Hi, i have just had an error when trying to record using the webif epg. The error is "no default authority data available for this channel. Unable to set the recording". Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

Ok, reboot didn't help. I can set a manual recording, but not epg recording.

Just to let you know the epg record worked on the night that i put the old hdd back into the box. Bbc 4 schedule worked. It seems after the housekeeping it has gone wrong.

Hi, just an update, this has now been resolved. Please see my post 'humax hdd change cfw' for information. A big thanks to raydon.

Hi, Now that I have been 'Housekeeping' there is one issue that I'm not keen on and that is that my favourites default page requires resetting. Otherwise, it has always been 'pinned' as the main channel list. Is there a work around to 'pin' a favourites channel list as the main channel list? Or is it possible to do what the freeview boxes enable you to do and let the user have the ability to sort the main channel list as they want it? For example have all the main HD channels top of the list in sequential order: BBC1HD, BBC2HD, ITVHD, CH4HD, CH5SD, BBC3HD, BBC4HD...etc. Thanks

I have a FOXSAT HDR running Raydon brilliant software. Not sure what version though and the remote has finally given up the ghost after a three year assault by my youngest so Iuntil the replacement arrives I won't be able to find out if I am running the latest version or not. That's not really the problem though. The Humax keeps falling off the network and I don't know why. It connects via a home plug normally but sometimes the network connection just stops for months at a time before randomly coming back at some point. I have tried plugging an ethernet cable directly into the router with no luck. Anyone got any ideas? How can I troubleshoot the hardware?

Is there a work around to 'pin' a favourites channel list as the main channel list?
For clarification, is this on the box's native on-screen interface, or the WebIf, and if the latter, on which screen? (And is the same question as has been answered here?)

On the box the channels can't be re-ordered or re-numbered natively, and doing so programmatically has always been seen as a Bad Thing™. Also I can see no way to cause the "List" button to bring up a particular favourite list. For me it always defaults to all channels, and pressing Green defaults to the "Auto" list and has to be pressed again to get to a favourite list. (Given how futile the whole process is I'd be surprised to learn of anyone who bothered!) It's a frustrating part of modern living. You will have a choice whether you like it or not. Grrrrr! Whatever happened to being able to choose to have less choice? Hiding channels helps.

On the WebIf the "Channel List for EPG" setting is sticky and maintains across reboots as far as I can tell (and although I've not checked whether it survives a housekeeping boot, I have no reason to believe it won't).

If I did have a wish-list it would include modification of the WebIf Channel List editor so that the group headings were floating (so I could remember in which column the box I was ticking was when I'm further down the list than my screen can handle) and the ability to reorder the channels in the WebIf so that BBC2 comes between BBC1 and ITV1, even if I can't do that on the native interface.

I hope that's helped answer your question.

Not sure what version though and the remote has finally given up the ghost after a three year assault by my youngest so Iuntil the replacement arrives I won't be able to find out if I am running the latest version or not.
The WebIF and custom firmware offer two "soft" remotes through the browser, one suitable for phones, the other for PCs and tablets, and the Settings tab of the WebIf lists the custom firmware version. If you have neither of these facilities on your box then the version you're running is certainly not the latest. Mine shows:

Custom Firmware : v 4.1.3
Web Interface : v 2.87

The Humax keeps falling off the network and I don't know why. It connects via a home plug normally but sometimes the network connection just stops for months at a time before randomly coming back at some point. I have tried plugging an ethernet cable directly into the router with no luck.
Is that no luck in getting anything working, or no luck in fixing it if it's dropped off via the HomePlug?

Easy/obvious ones first. Connecting the box to the network involves an Ethernet cable in the back of the box connecting to a router, or to (presumably) the same router via a HomePlug. When you look at the Ethernet port at the back of the powered-on box it should have one steady light on the left (as you look at the back of the box) and a blinking one to the right when traffic is passing. The router should have similar lights. Are they on? Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable(s) in case they're faulty? Have you tried a different port on the router in case it's faulty? (Unless you have implemented VLANs or mappings/NAT based on the physical port then you should be able to swap adjacent cables on the router's LAN ports without affecting things.)

If all the cables are OK, the lights are lit and all these physical signs seem right, what does the box's Network screen look like? What's its IP Address, subnet mask, router address and DNS address when it works or, if it's not working, what are those settings when it's not working? What are the equivalent settings on the PC with which you're trying to contact the box? Is the box's IP Address set manually or by DHCP? It could be that the box's Ethernet is fine - technically it's OK at OSI Layers 1 and 2 - but if the IP Addressing is wrong then it may not be able to talk to the rest of the network. If you accidentally have two conflicting DHCP servers running on the network this could happen, or if you have manually set a static IP and subnet mask on the box while everything else uses DHCP and the DHCP changes, this could also have the same effect.

Finally, if all that looks good, check your router for some esoteric setting that may be causing issues, such as MAC-address filtering that's throwing away all the box's traffic before anything sees it.

Diagnosing network connections can get quite tricky, but I hope the above helps pinpoint the problem before trickiness needs to be involved.

JellyRoll. Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I will look at this on Sunday and report back.

Thanks jellyroll. It was regarding the native on screen interface. It is nice to have the channel list in a sortable order, as it's a case of trying to find where a channel has gone. Most of my friends are freeview and are shocked when they find channels all over the place. I guess freesat viewers have got use to this and find it isn't that important anymore.

Jellyroll,

I have been through all the settings you mentioned apart from checking the router properly. This is an Apple Airport Extreme. The green and orange lights are on. I have swapped out the cable, even swapped out the home plug. The IP address was set manually because I want to control the box from my Loxone home automation system. When I tried to use DHCP from the Humax it assigned itself 0.0.0.0 so either the router isn't recognising it or the Humax cannot see the router but other devices can pick up an IP from DHCP so I suppose it's reasonable to assume the Humax cannot see the router.

There does look to be a failure to communicate.

Assuming all IP Addresses involved are "private" ones (i.e. 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x), so safe from Internet hacking, can you please post the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway from your Humax box, your PC and just the IPA Address and Subnet Mask from your Airport device?

Can you also please get a CMD prompt on your PC (or a terminal window on your Mac), ping the IP Address of your Airport and of your Humax (a PC will PING four times, the Mac will do it indefinitely and need to be stopped with Ctrl+C unless you enter "ping -c 4 <IP Address>" as the command), and then, regardless of the result, enter "arp -a" (the same command works on PCs and Macs) and see if it shows the IP Address of the Humax and the Airport; and if it shows the address of the Humax, whether the hardware MAC Address it shows matches the one on the networking screen of your Humax.

I hope someone can help. I have had a new router from Virgin following issues with my router randomly re-setting itself (appears to be a bug in new software for the original Vigin Media superhub). Since installing I am unable to use ftp to access my Foxsat-hdr (or both my HDR FOX T2's). Logging in using filezilla connects but reports. Telnet and the Webif work normally. I have a data file in the opt directory I would like to download to my PC. I guess that this would be possible using telnet, any help with the command syntax appreciated.

Any ideas

Resolved

Traced to firewall settings on new router.

Last edited:
This may seem a silly question, but I can't find a way to change the system time! After clocks went forward 1hr in UK the guide time is 1hr adrift and I have missed recordings. I've tried rebooting and searched all the menus - any advice appreciated. I'm running latest Raydon 4.1.3 plus web interface.

Currently local time is 1750hrs but Humax programme guide shows time top right as 1851hrs. The Web interface shows time correctly in guide!

Last edited:
This may seem a silly question, but I can't find a way to change the system time! After clocks went forward 1hr in UK the guide time is 1hr adrift and I have missed recordings. I've tried rebooting and searched all the menus - any advice appreciated. I'm running latest Raydon 4.1.3 plus web interface.

Usually caused by using an out of date version of Nowsters patch. You need the UTC version.

opkg install http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk

Hi guys, I'm stumped with this problem. I usually drag'n'drop from the Humax to a NAS but haven't done it for ages. Today it keeps quitting early after ~1.5GB, seems to fall off the network and I can't get the webif. It returns with a reboot. Firmware is 4.0.8
Any pointers much appreciated.

EDIT: when webif quits it still returns a ping.

Last edited:
CF out of date but it probably won't help. Neither will this post really.

I just installed the latest CF, still the same :)
Hmmmm

You do have a unique ip address set for the HDR?

I've had a bit of luck ;)
I went to the machine (which I use for copying) which connects to 2 x NAS and the Humax via a Gigabit switch. It reckoned network connection unplugged. Removed and re-connected all the gigabit rj45's and it now seems to work.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom