Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried to set a recording for the new BBC4HD channel and got this error message "No default authority data available for this channel. Unable to set the recording." I did a Google search and see this has happened in the past, I could not find an answer that didn't involve Raydon's magic touch. :)

I set the recording on the box itself so no major problem
Just do the usual 'Update package list from Internet' via the 'Package Management' screen then reboot and you should be good to go. New icon package containing the five new HD channel icons to follow shortly.

Thanks Raydon as always, will do that, good to have these new channels in HD. :)

OK, channel icons package v1.09 is now in the repository. This contains new icons for the five latest BBC HD channel additions. Just 'Update package list from Internet' to refresh the 'Updates' tab in the 'Package Management' screen.

I am currently in the process of moving a large number of file from the humax to a NAS (to be accessed via NASMount).
I have opted to do this via rsync on the NAS so that we can carry on using the Humax. The icing on the cake would be if I could delay shutdown of the Humax whilst a transfer is in progress.
When I'm deleting multiple files through the Humax on screen menu and try to shutdown I get a message to say that the Humax will shutdown once file operations have completed.

• Does anyone know how I can simulate this delayed shutdown via the CLI?
Any help or pointers gratefully received!

Hi,

im not sure if this helps, but i wrote a windows service to run on my home server, than picks up films and copies them to the homeserver. I have to manually move the films to a folder i created ( called "ReadyToUpload" ) on the humax box, but other than that works really well - it will check source and destination file sizes incase the humax was shutdown during a transfer....

it can email and text you too once the film has been copied over...

I transfer files manually, pulling them from the Humax to my Synology NAS.

Does anyone else find that having a file transfer happening in the background risks having recordings fail?

Cheers, Martin

Heavy load tests have been done by a number of people especially having two recordings ongoing coupled with a couple of dlna clients active. In this case most of the work is being done by the PVR chipset and not the CPU. See no reason why one or two FTP sessions would give any problems.

Heavy load tests have been done by a number of people especially having two recordings ongoing coupled with a couple of dlna clients active. In this case most of the work is being done by the PVR chipset and not the CPU. See no reason why one or two FTP sessions would give any problems.

Many thanks.

BTW, the NAS has a share to the Humax, and I'm just copying the files from the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

Will investigate FTP option from the Synology.

Cheers, Martin

Many thanks.

BTW, the NAS has a share to the Humax, and I'm just copying the files from the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

Will investigate FTP option from the Synology.

Cheers, Martin

I'm having a bit of an issue getting the FTP function up and running.

Under Services, tinyftp is in the "on" state.

From Chrome, if I enter ftp://192.168.0.n/, I get a prompt for user name / password. Once I put in the user/password, I get error:- "This webpage is not available". I get the same if I instead go to:-

ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/
or
ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/Senna_20131013_2223.hmt/
or
ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/Senna_20131013_2223.hmt

Have I mis-understood how to construct the URL to fetch via FTP?

In Firefox, I get status "Beginning FTP transaction", which eventually disappears without a request for user/password.

Would appreciate any advice how I'm going wrong.

Many thanks, Martin

Try using a PC ftp client (fileZilla is good).
Not sure why you are having a problem but many of your example pages are http pages "This webpage is not available". iis a clue - It would not be via ftp using those addresses.

Try FileZilla and report back.

I'm having a bit of an issue getting the FTP function up and running.

Under Services, tinyftp is in the "on" state.

From Chrome, if I enter ftp://192.168.0.n/, I get a prompt for user name / password. Once I put in the user/password, I get error:- "This webpage is not available". I get the same if I instead go to:-

ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/
or
ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/Senna_20131013_2223.hmt/
or
ftp://192.168.0.n/media/Video/!Martin/Films/Senna_20131013_2223.hmt

Have I mis-understood how to construct the URL to fetch via FTP?

In Firefox, I get status "Beginning FTP transaction", which eventually disappears without a request for user/password.

Would appreciate any advice how I'm going wrong.

Many thanks, Martin
Hi Martin, I've found that tinyftp is not particularly browser friendly so you should uninstall it and install vsftpd instead.
The syntax for browser FTP is ftp://username:password@hostname_or_IP_address
so for the Foxsat it would be ftp://HumaxFTP:[email protected]
or ftp://root:[email protected]

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice.

vsFTPd seems to have fixed it, but only once I also jiggled the d/l URL per the documentation for vsFTPd. Would the same have applied for TinyFTP?

If you install vsftpd instead of tinyftp then system accounts are used for login. There are two accounts available and you can login with either. Please note that names and passwords are case sensitive.

The first account mirrors that of TinyFTP.
User name: 'HumaxFTP', Password '0000'
Logging in with these credentials will drop you directly into the /media folder.

BTW, just to comment on this.

I am initiating copies from the NAS so that I can leave them running while the PC is off.

Up until now, I have been using the "copy" function built into the NAS's equivalent of Windows Explorer (Synology's File Station). I select a bunch of maybe 60 files, cut, then paste into the NAS's local folder.

The file transfers are then much like under Windows, and obviously deletes each file that has been successfully transferred. (Very important when the transfers can fail if the box goes into standby.)

Transfer rates hover around 3 MB/s, and I do sometimes get brief drop-outs to recordings if the box is also busy at the same time. Worst is when making two recordings whilst watching a third, as you'd expect.

However, this is not the symptom I was talking about with my comments. If the box is undertaking file copies to the NAS, this will often result in an entry in the media list with the broken icon, and text something like "recording has failed for an unknown reason".

This may be because I'm running a 2TB HD which is very nearly full, but it seems like something makes the recording take too long to startup, and the box gives up. I can understand that - there's limited capacity in the box's hardware.

(I've just upgraded my Android tablet from a 3yo 1x1GHz with 512MB RAM to a modern quad-core 1.6GHz. The old tablet was also running custom f/w, and regularly just hit the limits of what that hardware could achieve - basically due to running out of memory more than CPU resource.)

Looking at the process with FTP, d/l speeds are higher, and get higher again as load on the box decreases - 6+ MB/s when no recordings taking place, and the box is paused replaying a recording (IE also no pause activity on the disk). Browsing the Media file list is much slower with FTP going on, but that's only to be expected.

The "Download Station" on the Synology is able to queue multiple FTP's so they happen sequentially, which is just what I need.

However, it's certainly a lot more work to manually key in 60 separate FTP requests than to just grab 60 files in the filesystem browser and cut/paste them to their destination, especially as I have to construct the file names manually.

I don't know if this is viable as a suggested enhancement to the FoxSat's web UI, but under Browse Media Files, would it be possible to add a "Copy the FTP link for this file into the clipboard" option to the OPT+ menu?

Anyway, the FTP process is all the better for performing so much better, and I'll keep an eye out for whether it avoids any impact to box operations.

cheers, Martin

And as a follow-up to the above.

It turns out that I can upload a file of FTP:// URLs, so it looks like my simplest approach to bulk downloading from the box is:-

dir /b /A:-D /O:NE >d:\url.txt
edit file to modify the various filenames with the relevant FTP:// plus user & password & source folder
feed the file into the Synology's Download Station to initiate bulk downloads

Just need to do a bit more manual cleaning up afterwards.

One nice thing about doing it this way - I have the option to pause the download stream if I need to.

cheers, Martin

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried searching through all the threads, but there is a lot of info here and I might of missed the answer.

I read in 1 thread that is was possible to add the red button/iplayer streams to the EPG so they can be recorded. I have installed raydons latest update, I can see my HDR from my Vista PC, I even found the channeleditor.exe.

Please can someone tell me what streams to enable and make "open", I canot see anything in the list that may look like a red button/iplaer stream, or point me in the direction of the thread that already details this ?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards

Rusty116

Sorry, but it's not possible to record BBC iPlayer streams using the custom firmware. Channel editor is an optional package that runs in the web interface and provides the option to add non-Freesat channels to the Freesat list. It supercedes, the long obsolete channeleditor.exe program that ran under Windows. The BBC Red button service is already in the Freesat list on channel 981 and can be recorded from there, so in this instance the channel editor is not required.

Hi Raydon,

Thanks for your reply. And is this also the case for the extra sports channels ?

Rusty

Looking for some help please. I've used Raydon's excellent software for a while without problems. However suddenly the action list in the package management screen has disappeared so I can't update or amend the packages. I've tried reinstalling the 4.1.2 software but that didn't fix it. Any help wpould be much appreciated.

Looking for some help please. I've used Raydon's excellent software for a while without problems. However suddenly the action list in the package management screen has disappeared so I can't update or amend the packages. I've tried reinstalling the 4.1.2 software but that didn't fix it. Any help wpould be much appreciated.
Is it the complete list that's missing or just the buttons?

Well, that seems to have worked nicely.

Have transferred about 150 HD programmes (something over 300GB) in the last two days usinf FTP. Total number and size of files seem to match, at least!

The box seems to cope pretty well, even when two or three FTPs are running simultaneously, and transfer rates seem to peak around 8MB/s.

Much happier now my box is <80% used, rather than hovering around 99% at beginning of the week.

Thanks for all help.

cheers, Martin

I'm trying to remove the customised firmware and put my box back to factory settings. I understand that I need to delete a file and then reinstall the Humax firmware. However, I can't find the latest Humax firmware on their site. Can anyone let me have a working link and details of the version number please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom