Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

sorry if this is a real numpty quesiotn with this thread being so long I have read a number of pages and cannot seethe answer.

I currently have a humax foxsat HD PVR, does Raydons software work on that model?

Secondly i am thinking of upgrading to the HDR - 1000s does it work with that?

Glenn - Yes raydon's custom firmware works on the Humax Foxsat PVR. No, it doesn't work on the 1000s, nor is there ever likely to be a custom firware for this box as the hard drive is fully encrypted.

Adrain

thanks, i was going to buy the upgraded pvr so that i could use the older one for the kids room and get the new one for the lounge with its upscaling capabilities plus the freetime rool back facility. Mind you if i buy another of the Humax Foxsat HD PVRs i would have a total of four channels to record from simultaneously (i have an 8 block LNB and cabling into the home office where our AV rack is) and if i understand it correctly the facility using Raydons software to save the files and replay elsewhere using say PLEX on the Samsung TV or via the media player (assuming of course they are in the right format).

Glenn - yes, the custom firware provides a number of methods of accessing recordings on the Foxsat from elsewhere. There are two media servers (Twonky and MediaTomb) which will stream to DLNA clients and also options to connect to recordings via Samba and FTP.

My personal experience is that playing the Foxsat's transport stream files (recordings) on other devices can be a bit hit and miss. Sony Bravia TVs for example have pretty poor support for media file formats. You may also find that, becuase of the way the transport stream files are made up, the ability for FFWD/Rewind is limited. It really depends on how "clever" the client playing the recording is.

I'm not trying to put you off - most people find a combination of things that work for them. I would however recommend you install the custom firmware on your existing HDR and try it with your devices to see if it gives you the functionality you want before making the decision whether to buy the 1000s or another Foxsat PVR.

I don't have a 1000s but it has (or will have) its own media server allowing recordings to be streamed off it and it's own media client to allow it to play files from other sources. Quite what level of file format support will be provided by the client I don't know.

Last edited:
Adrian

thanks, well i know PLEX wont play .ts files so have used Handbrake to convert all my.ts files to .mkv, about 1600 of them (some were already .mkv or .avi files) so now have a library which is almost sorted and will play via PLEX/ps3/netgear media player.

The netgear (and ps3 i think) will play .ts files although the netgear has the edge where the film being played is comprised of more than one file.

Anyway im a long way from being an expert on such things, but having the ability to record to larger HDD and for the kids to be able to do the same would be a bonus. Mind you their LG LED tv is DLNA capable and plays the .mkvs from the 8TB Diskstation on the network anyway.

Be interesting to see if the 1000s comes with good streaming (in/out) compatibility.

I am having a very minor glitch with the current pvr for some reason we have a minor problem with the HD signal on BBC1HD. No idea why only that channel but it occurs infrequently and seems to be to do with the handshake between the output from the pvr and the baluins i am using, all other HD signales including 1080p from the PS3 transport fine, so no idea why its an issue for this one channel occiasionally. Might be that we watch BBC1HD alsmot all the time so only notice it on there.

Last edited:
Forgive me for first asking a 'basic' question. For the Foxsat HDR to be accessible via a home network it must be connected in some way to that network. My hummy is not connected via any ethernet cable, so for it to be 'seen' it must have a wireless interface. Is this correct? Does a Foxsat HDR have such a wireless interface?

Wibs

Last edited:
Forgive me for first asking a 'basic' question. For the Foxsat HDR to be accessible via a home network it must be connected in some way to that network.'
-Correct
My hummy is not connected via any ethernet cable, so for it to be 'seen' it must have a wireless interface. Is this correct?
If you don't have an Ethernet cable connection then you must have a wireless one (say a mains plug thingy)
Does a Foxsat HDR have such a wireless interface?
No. See above.
I downloaded the Media & File Server Bundle..........etc
There is little point in doing this unless you have a network connection.
I put the hummy into standby, inserted the memory stick, then pressed and held........Can anyone suggest what may be going wrong here?
Seems about right. Try another stick. Aparently the Hummy is a bit on the choosy side when it comes to memory sticks.

Thanks TJT1,
I edited out the part of my post about the problem with flashing with the USB stick, as I found a fix in another post, and that was to repartition and format using Bootice. After this, and following the steps in the readme again, it flashed no problem.

I asked the first question about a wireless interface as the instructions in the readme makes no mention of this (the need to first connect the hummy via an ethernet cable to a router or laptop on the network), as this would not be immediately apparent to a non-tech savvy newbie.

Thanks again,

Wibs

My hummy is in the lounge, but the router is upstairs in the spare bedroom we use as an office, so of course the short ethernet cable we have will not reach. The hummy has no wireless board inside, so an alternative method was needed to connect it to the home network.

I took my laptop (which is wirelessly connected to our home network) and connected the ethernet cable between the hummy and the laptop. I set up connection sharing, and now the hummy is fully accessible. Curiously an IP address of 192.168.0.246 was assigned, when all the other devices on my home network are in the range 192.168.0.(1-9). Perhaps this is a function of connection sharing??

I have also noticed that only the laptop can access the hummy, typing 192.168.0.246 into any other PCs on the home network produced a 'problem loading page' error. I wonder if it IS possible to connect to the hummy via another PC on the network?

I am now ready to start installing the various software packages....

Wibs

Last edited:
Insufficient data. You need to mention the subnet mask used on both connections and how they are connected to the laptop (two ports?) You do not mention the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (usual). Assuming there are two ports on the laptop you will need to set up a route on the main router so that traffic to .246 is sent to the laptop.

I powered the hummy and the laptop down last night before going to bed, and today when I powered everything up again the hummy was reporting a new IP address of 192.168.0.42, and the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Of course, I was only curious about accessing the sat receiver from another PC on the home network, I don't intend to leave my laptop permanently connected to it. Today I ordered the Netgear WNCE2001 ethernet to WiFi adapter off Amazon, that will connect the hummy directly to the home network, so problem solved. Interesting question though.

Wibs

Where can I download a copy of the software without having to install a load of poo first like what we used to be able to do?

No matter. Found it. It's the orange button at the top right of ZippyShare here
A link to it on post one of the thread would be an advantage:)

Last edited:
Hi guys,
only to put some mp3 on the Humax, started I to look for a way to ftp into it. But, wow, was I blasted away by this awesome piece of software.
There were a lot of threads to read before coming along this one (I didn't read all the posts :). So I know that Raydon was at the origin of this package and i would like to thank him for the really impressive job he did. Also thanks go to all those I have not heard of, who helped setting this all up.

Have a good evening
fatboy92

:D
Where can I download a copy of the software without having to install a load of poo first like what we used to be able to do?

No matter. Found it. It's the orange button at the top right of ZippyShare here
A link to it on post one of the thread would be an advantage:)
You mean the big orange button that says "Download Now" beside the text that says "You have requested the file: Name: raydon's_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_the_Foxsat_HDR_release_4.1.2.rar" ?
Oh, that button. :D. Yes, I know there are some other buttons on the same page that could be a bit misleading, but most people figure it out eventually.

Last edited:
:DYou mean the big orange button that says "Download Now"
[embarrassed] Yes, that was the one:blush:[/embarrassed]
most people figure it out eventually.
I did. But when I fid a page with Livid or somesuch on it, it is a bugger's muddle to find the clean link and it's frequently a tiny button or linked text that is nowhere near as obvious at the big orange one to which you refer:D
That aside, thanks for your great S/W raydon:clap:

Gents, can you help me?
I had a running install with Twonky4, but trying to stream HD to an LG TV on the LAN was problematic
(16:9 format HDTV recording played in a 4:3 box for some reason).

Anyhow, I thought I would try Twonky5, buy a licence, and see if that worked better.
So, I uninstalled 4, then tried to install 5 but no go. Now I cannot install either :(
Reinstalled OEM f/w then reinstalled Raydon's pack again. No change. Now I cannot get past the basic install (initial) setup screen in html.
The error suggests the box cannot copy the list from the file repository. It is online correctly though.
Did try a half-arsed attempt at command line 'fixes' but I just don't have the knowledge.
I deleted the 'don't delete me' file mentioned earlier but now I have a box I cannot log into but otherwise operates like OEM....

Tried unmounting HD4 so I could RM the OPT directory, and I managed to empty that but following re-install it didn't fix anything.

How can I get back to the start, clean out everything that's causing me trouble, and start over please?
Cheers,
Steve

Delete the 'don't delete me' file and reboot. This will cause the firmware to delete the opt structure and recreate it as a new install where you will need to install the full web interface.

Depending on your browser you may need to refresh the first page.

"The error suggests the box cannot copy the list from the file repository" - possible network error.

Just a thought, could not the basic firmware be located on the same server as the 'file repository' with a direct download link somewhere obvious (e.g. Page 1 of the thread)? Using the repository for updating the various add ons is absolutely brilliant and completely idiot proof, so why is finding and D/Loading the basic firmware so fraught with A. Trying to find the link in the first place and B. Trying to find the right button on the page to avoid the 'poo'

Just a thought, could not the basic firmware be located on the same server as the 'file repository' with a direct download link somewhere obvious (e.g. Page 1 of the thread)?
Hosting the firmware on that server would likely be in violation of the terms of service for the hosting ISP. It contains commercial software owned by Humax.

"The error suggests the box cannot copy the list from the file repository" - possible network error.
Agree, you can confirm a working internet connection by accessing BBC iPlayer on channel 901.

Ok - tried the above. All works but now different errors and still cannot reach the repository.
The install of the web interface etc went okay and after reboot, attempting to reach the repository is:
Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class:88: Not a valid address: hummypkg.org.uk:80 in procedure 'pkg' called at file "pkg.jim", line 47 in procedure 'pkg' called at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class", line 79 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class", line 88

There never have been any network issues here everything works fine including internet at the box.
Steve.

It still looks like a network issue to me. Can you:
1) Confirm that BBC iPlayer works.
2) Install telnet using the USB method as outlined in the readme.txt then open a telnet session to your HDR.
3) Enter ping -c 5 hummypkg.org.uk
Result should look like this:
Code:
FoxsatHDR~# ping -c 5 hummypkg.org.uk
PING hummypkg.org.uk (89.248.55.76): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=0 ttl=245 time=69.138 ms
ping: recvfrom: Unknown error -89
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=1 ttl=245 time=37.983 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=2 ttl=245 time=37.049 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=3 ttl=245 time=38.029 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=4 ttl=245 time=37.030 ms

--- hummypkg.org.uk ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 37.030/43.845/69.138 ms
FoxsatHDR~#
Ignore the Unknown error -89 messages.

If that doesn't work then try pinging the repository using its IP address, which does not require a DNS service to resolve it.

Enter ping -c 5 89.248.55.76

If that works then you have a DNS problem.

Forgive me for first asking a 'basic' question. For the Foxsat HDR to be accessible via a home network it must be connected in some way to that network. My hummy is not connected via any ethernet cable, so for it to be 'seen' it must have a wireless interface. Is this correct?

Wibs
No. Use a couple of homeplugs? They work well here.

Just tried to set a recording for the new BBC4HD channel and got this error message "No default authority data available for this channel. Unable to set the recording." I did a Google search and see this has happened in the past, I could not find an answer that didn't involve Raydon's magic touch. :)

I set the recording on the box itself so no major problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom