Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Continued from part 4 of the thread.

(This is the first post from the original thread, repeated here for your convenience.)

O.K guys, here's what you Foxsat HDR owners have been waiting for.
To further enhance your Freesat experience, I am very pleased to announce the release of v4 of the Media & File Server Bundle.

Firstly, I would like to thank af123 (or af12345 as he is known here on AV Forums) for kindly allowing me to use his original ideas and sources from the HDR Fox T2 web interface development, as the basis for the web interface and support applications you find released here in v4
And also for agreeing to host the web based repository for the application packages. Without his help none of this would have been possible.
Thank You !

New features in v4

A fully functioning web interface for the Foxsat HDR.

A package management system with web based repository for the downloading and updating of applications.
This can be accessed both from the web interface and from the command line.

A service management system to display status of custom applications, start or stop them, and disable/enable boot-time autostart.
Again, this is accessible from the web interface and the command line.

Latest update is v4.1.3 and is available for download from HERE *

v4 is based on Humax's latest v1.00.21 firmware released on 30/07/2012 and is a complete standalone replacement for it.
What this means is that a reflash with the standard Humax v1.00.21 firmware before flashing with v4 is not necessary.
It will upgrade any earlier version of installed firmware, either standard or modified, to v1.00.21 with custom mods.

Full instructions on how to install everything are provided in the included ReadMe.txt and I suggest you read this carefully before you start, as there are many changes compared to the earlier v3.0 releases.

For those who are already comfortable with installing and using the earlier packages here follows a quick start guide.

Flash the firmware in the usual way, then open your favourite browser and enter the IP address of the HDR into the browsers address bar. Remember to use the IP address, not the hostname, as the netbios nameserver service is not available until you have installed samba.

You will then be presented with this basic web interface.
basic_webif.jpg

From here you can download and install the full web interface. Click on the Download & Install button and after a short delay (depending on your internet connection speed) you will be presented with an installation status report.

install_status.jpg

After that it is simply a matter of rebooting the HDR to initialise the full web interface. (Remember to refresh your browser, with the IP address only, in the address bar). You will then be presented with the full web interface index page.

full.jpg

Clicking on Package Management will then display this page

packages.jpg

From here you can install the applications you wish to use on your HDR.
Click on the pages top bar to return you to the index page.
From there you can then select the Service Management option.

services.jpg

From here you can stop and start your applications, and select which ones are auto-started at boot time.

Any additional information you might need can be found in the ReadMe.txt so please do me a favour and read it before posting any queries you might have. You may just find the answer there.

That's it then, I hope you all enjoy using this v4 release

my regards to all here at AV Forums

raydon

Last edited:
Ian4355 - re. your problems with the EPG data in the Web Interface.

As REPASSAC has said, the best way to troubleshoot will be via telnet. If you are on Windows 7 and haven't already done so you will need to enable telnet. Google "Enable Telnet Windows 7" to find instructions on how to do so.

Once done, check that you have the telnet package installed in the Web Interface - Package Management page. Check the "Installed" tab. If telnet is not there, go to the "Available" tab and install it.

You'll then be able to run a command prompt on Windows 7 and issue a "telnet <foxsat IP address>" command to telnet to your foxsat. e.g. "telnet 10.1.2.3".

When you get this far you'll be able to follow the troubleshooting steps in this post:

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0 | Page 14 | AVForums

Do that and post the results.

Since upgrading to ios 7 on my ipad, I've found problems viewing the web interface on the foxsat in safari. Sometimes the page looks correct. Soon after, it's very wrong. I'll include some images in this post (hopefully) and you'll see what I mean. :)

You are not alone!
Unfortunately with the forum updates (can't say improvements!) there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity at the moment to answer your question. I have the same problem, but I'm pretty sure it is an Apple/Safari quirk in ios7 - probably conforming to some new 'standard' yet to be universally accepted! Why oh why can't Apple make things backwardly compatible?
Adjusting "text size" under settings doesn't make any difference either.

Hi,

So I've installed the custom software and am using the older version of Twonky to successfully stream to my LG smart TV.

Can someone confirm that I won't need a license key and that twonky will continue to work past 30 days?

Jim

I am currently in the process of moving a large number of file from the humax to a NAS (to be accessed via NASMount).
I have opted to do this via rsync on the NAS so that we can carry on using the Humax. The icing on the cake would be if I could delay shutdown of the Humax whilst a transfer is in progress.
When I'm deleting multiple files through the Humax on screen menu and try to shutdown I get a message to say that the Humax will shutdown once file operations have completed.

• Does anyone know how I can simulate this delayed shutdown via the CLI?
Any help or pointers gratefully received!

Ian4355 - re. your problems with the EPG data in the Web Interface.

As REPASSAC has said, the best way to troubleshoot will be via telnet. If you are on Windows 7 and haven't already done so you will need to enable telnet. Google "Enable Telnet Windows 7" to find instructions on how to do so.

Once done, check that you have the telnet package installed in the Web Interface - Package Management page. Check the "Installed" tab. If telnet is not there, go to the "Available" tab and install it.

You'll then be able to run a command prompt on Windows 7 and issue a "telnet <foxsat IP address>" command to telnet to your foxsat. e.g. "telnet 10.1.2.3".

When you get this far you'll be able to follow the troubleshooting steps in this post:

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0 | Page 14 | AVForums

Do that and post the results.
Hi, I'm also having issues with the epg and failing at the first step
in response to the ls -l /mnt/hd2/fsatepg command I get the answer total 0
I've rebooted the box and pressed the guide button, but the audio comes back on within a few seconds.
Any ideas on where I go from here?

Thanks

Edit:-
the epg.copy file is in /opt/tmp

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5719780 Nov 20 21:15 epg.copy

but the epgnew.db isn't in /opt/epg just the following

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30621 Nov 15 23:56 DefAuthInit.sql
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 1319 Jan 28 2012 channelDBinit.sql
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 251904 Nov 20 21:35 channels.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8192 Jan 28 2012 channels.db-opkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 11 00:42 epg.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11264 Jan 28 2012 epg.db-opkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13025280 Oct 6 21:48 epg.db.old
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 936 Jan 28 2012 epgDBinit.sql

Last edited:
jeff2000 - the reason the EPG sound came on at once ius that you were recording,
try again when you are not.

Thanks Repassac, but definitely not recording, as I rebooted the box several times in an attempt to set the timers for the f1 practice, as the guide on the box itself was missing chunks of data.
The guide on the box seems to be ok now but get the error
Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class:588: no such table: epg in procedure 'epg' called at file "epg7day.jim", line 53 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class", line 588
when attempting to view the 7 day epg through the web interface.

Tonight I went to record something on BBC2 HD in non-freesat mode. Now I have the custom firmware but I still got the Enc listed next to the recording. I've not recorded in HD for sometime.

Is the problem due to having out of date custom firmware? I am using v 4.1.1 but I think 4.1.2 is the leanest. Unfortunately for me I didn't have time to update before Adventures in Time and Space started. Teach me not to keep up-to-date with the firmware!

Hi folks
I'm completely new to this forum, so please bear with me :)

I've just installed Raydon's 4.1.2 firmware on my Foxsat HDR and it's a revelation! I messed about with Filezilla for a while trying unsuccessfully to access it via a wired connection to my broadband router and then discovered this (and previous threads). I added samba to the install via the web interface to see Foxsat in my network and I can now copy .ts files to my Windows 7 64 bit PC HDD and play them from there using Media Player.

I had read that HD recordings are encrypted and cannot be played if they are copied directly to a PC, but I have tried one HD recording and it plays just the same as an SD recording. Has the firmware overcome this problem or was this never really a problem in the first place? I'm very happy but a bit puzzled.
TIA
Dave

Hi, I'm also having issues with the epg and failing at the first step
in response to the ls -l /mnt/hd2/fsatepg command I get the answer total 0
I've rebooted the box and pressed the guide button, but the audio comes back on within a few seconds.
Any ideas on where I go from here?
It sounds/looks like the Web Interface EPG database has become corrupted. Easiest way to start afresh is to telnet onto your box and then issue the following two commands:

Code:
opkg remove epg --force-depends
opkg install epg

The first will force a removal of the EPG package which the Web Interface uses for the EPG data. The second will do a clean re-install.

Once completed, go back to the Guide page and wait for the background audio to re-appear. Then re-boot. On reboot the EPG 7-Day screen should say:

EPG Database is empty. This is probably because this is a new installation.
New EPG data has been found and is being processed. This should be completed within five minutes.

Wait five minutes and you should be good to go.

Hi folks
I'm completely new to this forum, so please bear with me :)

I've just installed Raydon's 4.1.2 firmware on my Foxsat HDR and it's a revelation! I messed about with Filezilla for a while trying unsuccessfully to access it via a wired connection to my broadband router and then discovered this (and previous threads). I added samba to the install via the web interface to see Foxsat in my network and I can now copy .ts files to my Windows 7 64 bit PC HDD and play them from there using Media Player.

I had read that HD recordings are encrypted and cannot be played if they are copied directly to a PC, but I have tried one HD recording and it plays just the same as an SD recording. Has the firmware overcome this problem or was this never really a problem in the first place? I'm very happy but a bit puzzled.
TIA
Dave

The custom firmware on it's own will not allow the box to record HD content that the broadcaster has flagged to force the box to encrypt on recording. The encryption is controlled by the Humax settop propriety software. There is though a small patch by Nowster which records without encryption for future recordings. There is no known way of decrypting existing recordings made before the patch was applied. It seems as if you installed the patch without realising it.

It sounds/looks like the Web Interface EPG database has become corrupted. Easiest way to start afresh is to telnet onto your box and then issue the following two commands:

Code:
opkg remove epg --force-depends
opkg install epg

The first will force a removal of the EPG package which the Web Interface uses for the EPG data. The second will do a clean re-install.

Once completed, go back to the Guide page and wait for the background audio to re-appear. Then re-boot. On reboot the EPG 7-Day screen should say:

New EPG data has been found and is being processed. This should be completed within five minutes.

Wait five minutes and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your reply adrianf36, did the removal and re-install audio came back on the guide within a few seconds as before, but rebooted anyway.
Got the

message in the 7-day screen also had the epgnew.db file in /opt/epg waited for it to disappear, went back into the 7-day screen and got the message

By itself without the second line. However going into the now/next epg it says in there

Displaying EPG Data from (Thu January 1 1970 00:00)

So it doesn't seem to be updating something. Files in /opt/epg at the moment are

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29755 May 30 2012 DefAuthInit.sql
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 1319 Jan 28 2012 channelDBinit.sql
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 37888 Nov 22 20:04 channels.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11264 Jan 28 2012 epg.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 936 Jan 28 2012 epgDBinit.sql

Thanks for your help

Edit 23/11/13
All now seems to be working today. The overnight housekeeping must have fixed something.
Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
Tonight I went to record something on BBC2 HD in non-freesat mode. Now I have the custom firmware but I still got the Enc listed next to the recording. I've not recorded in HD for sometime.

Is the problem due to having out of date custom firmware? I am using v 4.1.1 but I think 4.1.2 is the leanest. Unfortunately for me I didn't have time to update before Adventures in Time and Space started. Teach me not to keep up-to-date with the firmware!

C'mon Logi, a link to another site???? AND my reply!!!!!

Sorry but I doubt you actually recorded it in non freesat mode. In non freesat mode there is no EPG information containing the encrypt flag to tell settop to encode.

To record without encryption in non-freesat you have to go into non-freesat mode and reboot the box.

I most definitely was in non-freesat mode or I wouldn't have been able to be above channel 7000.

However I also most definitely didn't reboot the box after switching to non-freesat mode because I was unaware of that step. Most of my non-freesat mode HD recordings have been foreign channels and they don't have Enc next to them.

Anyway thanks for the useful info. I will switch to non-freesat mode and reboot and that will resolve the issue.

UPDATE: I actually didn't do that. I installed the excellent patch by Nowster and that bypassed the problem. So thanks for all the work on that.

The only issue was my recording ended before the end of Doctor Who. I put that down to Doctor Who not keeping to time and my FoxSat not being able to take account of that. I forgot to add extra minutes because I just hit record and was expecting to just hit stop at the end. Still I'll remember next time.

Last edited:
I cant seen to be able to download the file for some unknown reason ! Is there any other sites that host the fils ?

if you mean raydons
Latest release v4.1.2 is available for download from HERE or HERE. near the top of this page
I tried the second one at 5:30P, it looked good to me

When i try to download the file it wants to download some 3rd party software which i dont want

When i try to download the file it wants to download some 3rd party software which i dont want

If you can't decline it, use control panel to remove it after the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom