Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed so. Hugely improves the appeal of the Humax device. If they offered this capability "out of the box", surely it would help it sell.

I think there are things it would not be legal to do out of the box, such as being able to record any HD channel unencrypted in Freesat mode so it works to a schedule - I'm surprised you can even back up recordings to a USB device without the mod, to be honest.

As it is, probably 99% of Foxsat owners have never heard of these mods and what is possible. Sadly.

It is a shame, but I guess in a way it's a blessing: I have no doubt that if everyone modded their Foxsat HDR in this way broadcasters would pressure Humax to release firmware patches that lock the box down and enforce some form of DRM on everything it records in future.

Last edited:
I've installed Raydon's bundle and everything seems to work. Problem is getting Chrome on my Nexus 7 to use the vlc plugin.

I've verified that I can run video from the Foxsat in Chrome on various Windows laptops, but the Chrome for Android on the Nexus stubbornly refuses - saying that it does not support the plugin. Is that true?

It may not be quite what you had in mind, but I use VPlayer with the uPnP plugin. This plays SD .ts files O.K. but doesn't seem to have quite enough puff for HD, the video slowly falls behind audio until they become completely disassociated. Not sure if it's the codec or the Tegra 3 processor is the problem.

Mind you I haven't paid for the VPlayer unlocker either. Maybe you get a better codec if you do?

Having just taken delivery of a second foxsat-HDR and installing the excellent custom firmware I've come across a problem with my network. Not only does the new box not appear, also my existing foxsat has disappeared from the network along with my NAS and a couple of Rpi's. Though strangely my two laptops and one desktop do show, there is a netbook that if memory serves me correctly is on a different workgroup (MSHOME) which also no longer show on the window7 devices (WORKGROUP). I've set the new foxsat host name as Foxsat-HDR2 and retained the default workgroup.
All other features of the CFW appear to be working (although the mongoose config file seemed to get corrupted when trying to set up a webif user account, which with perseverance I've over come) but I'm struggling to rectify this network issue.
Any help will be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
GC

Last edited:
GC - After changing the workgroup and hostname - you did reboot both the Foxsats?

I think there are things it would not be legal to do out of the box, such as being able to record any HD channel unencrypted in Freesat mode so it works to a schedule - I'm surprised you can even back up recordings to a USB device without the mod, to be honest.

I agree, but that functionality is not part of Raydon's firmware.

And regards backing up to USB (without the patch you allude to), as they are encrypted, you can't play them on anything other than the original Humax box, so it's not a risk for copyright holders.

GC - After changing the workgroup and hostname - you did reboot both the Foxsats?
Hi REPASSAC thanks for taking time to help out.

Both foxsats are still set to the default workgroup (WORKGROUP) I gave the newer foxsat a hostname change and the box rebooted after applying the setting. Since Monday, the day I first stared setting up the new box both have had numerous reboots.
I've also noticed that one of my RPi's that was mounted to the original foxsat refuses to now remount. On further inspection I found the Pi had crashed out of Raspbmc and after rebooting it the foxsat still won't mount it.
Another point I should perhaps make is that My NAS device was also, along with my netbook, set up in the (MSHOME) workgroup and yesterday I attempted to allocte it to (WORKGROUP). This made no difference and currently I've set it back to (MSHOME).

again thanks for the time taken to help

Many thanks
GC

GC - Think I would check a number of things.

I would change the NAS back to use 'WORKGROUP'

Firstly - recheck the Foxsat name changes are still present and then reboot your Router.
All devices on your Lan should see the connection drop and use DHCP to renew their IP's.
Next, Suggest you restart samba on both Foxsats - This will cause the Foxsats to re-broadcast their names.
Next I would open a command windows on the PC and use net view to scan the network. Do you see any of the Foxsats?

If not I would start looking for logfiles on the Foxsats - look in /tmp and /opt/temp. Lastly you could scan the PC system log entries to see if any problems are shown (Thats where things like "Duplicate name on network" would be recorded).

Lastly if you still have not found any reason - Try with only one Foxsat up - and rebbot the one that is up (Does it now appear?)

REPASSAC You're a star. :smashin:

Working closely to your instructions it now looks promising, well better than promising as I can now see all computers, both foxsats and my NAS.

I got as far as the command line using net view which came back with "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found." Looking on-line it seemed this wasn't a recognised error for windows 7 :rolleyes: So I just started shutting down devices in turn :p starting with my Rpi's. Low and behold everything else appeared on my network.

It looks like the hostname change in Raspbmc doesn't actually change the actual device hostname. Strangely despite this being the case running both Rpi's at the same time didn't show to be problematic until I added the new foxsat. Thinking back it seems only one was showing as a connected device, however the pair of them showed as media devices.

Many thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

By the way you don't happen to know how to correctly change the hostnames on Raspberry Pi's do you? :rolleyes:

By the way you don't happen to know how to correctly change the hostnames on Raspberry Pi's do you? :rolleyes:
Sorry but no - I would think it must be possible else two could not co-exist. It is the sort of device I would love to play with but many irons in the fire at present, new house being built, etc

It does work for Firefox under linux, however the name of the plugin is different. It's a little unstable sometimes for me, crashing firefox every now and again.

Couple of snippets from the vlc plug-in documentation here which should help you get going. Packages may have different names in repositories other than Ubuntu/Debian; I'm not sure:

Thanks, I already looked at those threads.

There's still no real answer to this, the plugins and libavcodec are for a very old version of VLC (1.1.3?), the newer versions, >2 anyway, should have the plugins built in (or so I'm informed).

I agree, but that functionality is not part of Raydon's firmware.

Wouldn't be possible without it though!

And regards backing up to USB (without the patch you allude to), as they are encrypted, you can't play them on anything other than the original Humax box, so it's not a risk for copyright holders.

I know, that's why I installed the patch, so I can have stuff recorded in HD on the Foxsat and then stream to my HTPC running XBMC which has better transport key navigation, plus the built-in deinterlacing takes advantage of the DXVA2 capabilities of the nVidia graphics chipset so it looks 99% as good as it does on the Foxsat itself. ;)

SD content is unencrypted by default though so you could record both HD and SD versions and keep only the SD version for playing across multiple devices anyway. In my experience most people can't be bothered to a) keep the massive multiple GB files the Foxsat spits out for either resolution and/or b) encode the original files down in size with a good freeware program like Handbrake or MeGUI. So in that way, for the average user even with the excellent Raydon firmware there's very little risk to the copyright holders.

Sorry but no - I would think it must be possible else two could not co-exist. It is the sort of device I would love to play with but many irons in the fire at present, new house being built, etc

I considered one myself for portable media player use (an Rpi plus 2.5" 250GB USB2 HDD and small universal remote) but apparently even with overclocking and dozens of hours of tweaking it still won't play 1080p content and decode DTS and/or Dolby Digital 5.1 to stereo PCM so it can be played on a TV with even HDMI v1.0. Which would make it useless as a carry anywhere showoff platform for XBMC... :(

This works on HDR 320 and HDR 500 but not the new HDR1000S box?

If so might be helpful to update the 1st post(s) in threads to make it clear before too many people buy the new boxes? ;)

What is the issue with the new box's security? Is this something we could all be working on? Does it need some sort of jailbreak or is it a case where Humax have not published source code and should have by now?

Would love to know a little more as the new boxes are a big step up apart from lacking this additional functionality the bundle adds :)

This works on HDR 320 and HDR 500 but not the new HDR1000S box?

If so might be helpful to update the 1st post(s) in threads to make it clear before too many people buy the new boxes? ;)

What is the issue with the new box's security? Is this something we could all be working on? Does it need some sort of jailbreak or is it a case where Humax have not published source code and should have by now?

Would love to know a little more as the new boxes are a big step up apart from lacking this additional functionality the bundle adds :)

Unlike the Foxsat's the HDR-1000s actual drive partitions themselves used to record broadcast content are encrypted. As a result you can't even read the files contained in these partitions to do anything with them. After changing the HDD there is no apparent way to even copy back the existing recordings.

Thanks for the quick answer.

So, at the risk of repeating a question that has probably been asked many times before, is there any clue in the source code as to how the encryption is performed and perhaps some possibility of either decrypting or modding the firmware to remove the need for encryption completely? If its a case of lots of CPU time to crack keys I am sure there are plenty of people who are willing :smashin:

Thanks for the quick answer.

So, at the risk of repeating a question that has probably been asked many times before, is there any clue in the source code as to how the encryption is performed and perhaps some possibility of either decrypting or modding the firmware to remove the need for encryption completely? If its a case of lots of CPU time to crack keys I am sure there are plenty of people who are willing :smashin:
You need a starting point and there is not any way I can see. No access to the object program let alone source. No access to disk - OK it could be removed, but need to mount the encrypted file system and only Humax know how the key is derived. No access to NVRAM either.

The promise of a future DLNA server and freesat hits at a possible future web interface results in less incentive anyway.

You need a starting point and there is not any way I can see. No access to the object program let alone source. No access to disk - OK it could be removed, but need to mount the encrypted file system and only Humax know how the key is derived. No access to NVRAM either.

The promise of a future DLNA server and freesat hits at a possible future web interface results in less incentive anyway.

Is this not the source then? (HDR1000S is listed) Welcome to HUMAX [Global Website]

I assume you meant "hints" earlier? I wasn't aware of any - is there anything on record from Freesat?

Is this not the source then? (HDR1000S is listed) Welcome to HUMAX [Global Website]

I assume you meant "hints" earlier? I wasn't aware of any - is there anything on record from Freesat?

Humax only pubish details about the open source parts - nothing on their application.

When I said web interface - I was only referring to the remote setting of recordings - souce Aubrey (Admin) freesat community.

If the disk is anything like the Humax YouView box it uses encrypted video partitions, of which you need to know the passphrase/code to mount the partitions.

Unlike the Foxsat's the HDR-1000s actual drive partitions themselves used to record broadcast content are encrypted. As a result you can't even read the files contained in these partitions to do anything with them. After changing the HDD there is no apparent way to even copy back the existing recordings.

I should think you could clone the old drive onto the bigger new one then extend the Video partition, which is the biggest one at the end I believe?

Edit: Wait... if you need to mount the encrypted partitions to change them... yeah, not a snowball's chance.

Not being able to record everything unencrypted for the purposes of streaming across devices and/or backing up elsewhere would be, to me, a huge loss. The HDR-1000S doesn't do anything significantly better than either the Foxsat HDR or my HTPC so there's really little incentive to upgrade. Shame though, as <freetime> is quite a nice little interface.

Last edited:
A HUGE thank you to Raydon, and all the other dedicated individuals, who have made what was a darn good unit into a real gem of a recorder player. Your software and hacks have removed all the annoying problems with the unit, particularly the USB interface. To be able to copy films across to the box from the PC via the network is a tremendous bonus and solves this niggle.
It has been well worth the hours spent reading all these forums to have such an improved bit of kit.
I have one problem which can be overcome using the rename facility on the browser, but is a real niggle - > .... AV2HDR responds with "no such host known" when I select HDD for output. Using EXACTLY the same parameters in FileZilla I have no problems. Anyone got any ideas? (I have tried disabling the firewall but to no avail)

Quick question

I remember reading about a modified firmware to add non Freesat channels to the Freesat EPG, is this it?

I want to add another LNB for Astra 1 and be able to record an RTL without changing from Freesat mode.

Is this it?

Quick question

I remember reading about a modified firmware to add non Freesat channels to the Freesat EPG, is this it?

I want to add another LNB for Astra 1 and be able to record an RTL without changing from Freesat mode.

Is this it?

Yes, but also see the thread here which deals with the Channel Editor plug-in.

Twonky to WDLive issue - why do some videos play and some not? Is it to do with the format difference of HD\SD channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom