Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooo-hooo! All sorted.

It was the manufacturer's update wiping out the custom firmware. Shame you can't disable it.

Thanks for your help!

Goto the Setup section then "Software Update" and change it to manual...

I think the manual update option simply lets you enter a different transponder to look for. (Manual page GB53) - I must admit I never remember seeing it before.

wooo-hooo! All sorted.

It was the manufacturer's update wiping out the custom firmware. Shame you can't disable it.

Thanks for your help!

If you have the old custom firmware 4.0.7 and reflash it takes the built in firmware back to 1.0.20. The next night your 1.0.20 firmware is recognised as out of date so updates to 1.0.21. Custom firmware 4.0.8 contains 1.0.21 so installing it stops you going round in circles :D

I think the manual update option simply lets you enter a different transponder to look for. (Manual page GB53) - I must admit I never remember seeing it before.
You're absolutely right! I just assumed that because the options were "automatic" and "manual" that the latter disabled the former by default... (having never used them...)

is there any guidance/instructions on using media tomb. i've installed it but the user interface is very unfriendly and the help file doesn't work.

This reply is copied over from the part 2 thread. Sorry - it took me quite a while to get ready to respond...

Me (here):-
...I've just installed 4.0.7 on my box.

The install went as described in the readme, and the box reports "Custom FW v4.0.7" on the front panel display at bootup, but I'm not able to get the webpage up:-
"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.30."

The Humax has a net connection - I can stream iPlayer content from channel 901, and I can ping the box from my PC.

On raydon's advice :blush: I attempted to install telnet, which failed:-
Install started
cp: unable to open `/opt/tmp/telnet_1.0_mips.opk': No such file or directory
Collected errors:
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/opt//var': Read-only file system.
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/opt/var': Read-only file system.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to make temp file /telnet_1.0_mips.opk.control.Ni3gw9: Read-only file system.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
rm: cannot remove `/opt/tmp/telnet_1.0_mips.opk': No such file or directory
Install done

Thinking about it, I wonder if this is because I've upgraded the disk to 2TB?

REPASSAC (here):-
Hmmm - how did you partition it and what sizes?

Answer: see "fdisk output.txt" and "GUI partition properties.txt", attached.
2.2 GB
107 MB
1.1 GB
2.0 TB

raydon (here):-
Custom firmware installs to the Music and Photos partition so (a) It needs to exist and (b) it needs to be writable. Going by the log of the unsuccessful telnet

install, it appears that it failed because the file system is read only. Maybe you need to remove the drive and check it with e2fsk.

Had quite a bit of hassle with Ubuntu (and other half insisted I backed up the recordings before I started playing, which was fun :laugh:, but my NAS is now 1.4TB fuller.

Attached is the output from e2fsck (hope that is what you wanted). There were a couple of errors found & fixed with the 2.0 TB filesystem. However, the 1.1 GB filesystem (the Music and Photos partition, I'm sure), does give me a nasty-looking error:-

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck /dev/sdc4
e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
/dev/sdc4: recovering journal
e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/sdc4

/dev/sdc4: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

So, what's the next step from here? I don't have any music or photos, so can I just re-format the partition or something like that? If so, what process would I need to follow in Ubuntu to do that? After the filesystem fix, do I just re-install 4.08 again?

Many thanks for any help.

cheers, Martin

Attachments

• fdisk output.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 88
  • GUI partition properties.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 139
  • e2fsck output.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
So, what's the next step from here? I don't have any music or photos, so can I just re-format the partition or something like that? If so, what process would I need to follow in Ubuntu to do that? After the filesystem fix, do I just re-install 4.08 again?
Google is your friend. Information HERE and HERE

No change, but then e2fsck last time reported it was trying that automatically, anyway. More googling.

Edit: that's reported as a fail of the process at the second of those links, but it doesn't seem anyone has posted a fix.

"e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/sdc4"

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sdc4
mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
65808 inodes, 263064 blocks
13153 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=272629760
9 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
7312 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ e2fsck -b 32768 -fv /dev/sdc4
e2fsck: Permission denied while trying to open /dev/sdc4
You must have r/w access to the filesystem or be root
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -b 32768 -fv /dev/sdc4

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -b 98304 -fv /dev/sdc4

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -b 163840 -fv /dev/sdc4

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -b 229376 -fv /dev/sdc4

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Last edited:
Re my issue above, I'm not finding any obvious solutions via google.

Is there an easy "nuclear" option, to just format that partition empty?

thanks, Martin

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc4

Great, thanks, that ran OK. I also resized sdc4 (some of my searching led me to parted) to use the small amount of unused space at the end of the drive, which runs checks before & after and they listed the partition as fine.

The firmware appears to have installed OK - reports 4.08 at boot, I can now get to the web interface on the box, and Browse Media Files is working. Woot!

I'm really stoked at the possibilities with the custom firmware, so thanks for your patient help.

But, telnet still failed for the same error:-
Install started
cp: unable to open `/opt/tmp/telnet_1.0_mips.opk': No such file or directory
Collected errors:
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/opt/var': Read-only file system.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to make temp file /telnet_1.0_mips.opk.control.5VomKW: Read-only file system.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
rm: cannot remove `/opt/tmp/telnet_1.0_mips.opk': No such file or directory
Install done

Perhaps something with chmod (though I'm not sure exactly what)?

Thanks again, Martin

But, telnet still failed for the same error:-

Perhaps something with chmod (though I'm not sure exactly what)?

Thanks again, Martin
Nothing to do with chmod I'm afraid. You still have your original problem.

It looks like /dev/hd4 (the Music and Photos partition) is still not being mounted read/write. In which case the custom firmware cannot create the directory structure it requires. You can access the basic web interface simply because that is implemented entirely in firmware. However, if you try and click on the "Download & Install the Full Web Interface" button I suspect it will just return more Read-only errors in the status report. Try copying an mp3 from USB stick to Music, or a jpg to Photos to confirm the Read-only status.

Nothing to do with chmod I'm afraid. You still have your original problem.

It looks like /dev/hd4 (the Music and Photos partition) is still not being mounted read/write. In which case the custom firmware cannot create the directory structure it requires. You can access the basic web interface simply because that is implemented entirely in firmware. However, if you try and click on the "Download & Install the Full Web Interface" button I suspect it will just return more Read-only errors in the status report. Try copying an mp3 from USB stick to Music, or a jpg to Photos to confirm the Read-only status.

Well, that didn't confirm read-only.

Went into file manager and the Photo directory didn't exist on the HD (hardly surprising). Tried copying a JPG (actually one of the early MSL images), and it created the Photo directory and worked! Eh, what?

So then I tried the telnet install again:-

Install started
Installing telnet (1.0) to root...
Configuring telnet.
Install done

The Humax firmware obviously created the Photo directory, and presumably did something to open the partition r/w, also. Time to try the full install on the web interface:-
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz. Inflating http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz. Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg/base.

Installing webif (2.71) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/webif_2.71_mips.opk.
Installing jim-tcl (0.7.1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/jim-tcl_0.7.1_mips.opk.
Installing service-manager (1.1-1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/service-manager_1.1-1_mips.opk.
Installing busybox (1.18.4-1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/busybox_1.18.4-1_mips.opk.
Installing epg (1.5) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/epg_1.5_mips.opk.
Installing sysclock (1.1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/sysclock_1.1_mips.opk.
Installing hmt (2.1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/hmt_2.1_mips.opk.
Configuring busybox.
Configuring jim-tcl.
Configuring service-manager.
Configuring sysclock.
Configuring epg.
Configuring hmt.
Configuring webif.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! CONGRATULATIONS !!
You have successfully installed the full web interface and supporting packages.
Please restart your Foxsat HDR in order to complete the initialisation process.
(I added some line breaks)

I think I'm sorted - fantastic!

cheers, Martin

Edit: and, of course, many thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Hi all, newbie (well, newish to posting) here - this all looks fascinating, can't wait to try it out this evening.

Just a quick question before I get home (and apologies as I'm sure this is already covered, but there are so many different threads I don't know where to look :blush:)

Does the channel editor mean non-freesat channels can now be moved over to freesat, and then scheduled to record? Without impacting already scheduled freesat recordings?

If so, the people responsible should be knighted :thumbsup:

You can move non-freesat channels so you can set manual recording timers in non-freesat, sadly you can't record non-freesat and freesat at the same time even though you have enough tuners. You can however add channels that aren't on your freesat epg by virtue of your postcode. This gives you an epg entry from which you can set a recording. Edit one of the times to convert to a manual recording and this should work.

Example as a test I am recording ITV1-HD Granada and ITV1-HD London at the same time.

A bugfix update to samba is now available for download from the online repository. Use the 'Update package list from Internet' button in the 'Package Management' page of the Web Interface and the update will be listed under the 'Upgrades' tab.
This update addresses an obscure bug which affected the transfer of large files to the HDR, but only with files in certain specific size ranges. This resulted in an erroneous 'disk full' error being returned by the HDR.
The transfer of files within the range of 0 to 2GB, 4 to 6GB, 8 to 10GB, etc, etc succeeded, whereas files within the range of 2 to 4GB, 6 to 8GB, 10 to 12GB, etc,etc failed.
My thanks to caldirun for initially reporting having a problem with file transfer to the HDR, and to REPASSAC for beta testing the fix.

regards
raydon

The transfer of files within the range of 0 to 2GB, 4 to 6GB, 8 to 10GB, etc, etc succeeded, whereas files within the range of 2 to 4GB, 6 to 8GB, 10 to 12GB, etc,etc failed.
Now I know why I was confused, great work to root out this bug and find a cure, very well done!
Update, just tried the new download, it worked fine with one of the rogue files.

Last edited:
My Foxsat has suddenly started to ask for a username and password. How can I fix that? I have telnet and FTP access. Any help much appreciated.

My Foxsat has suddenly started to ask for a username and password. How can I fix that? I have telnet and FTP access. Any help much appreciated.

Telnet into the Foxsat -
I would like to see the results of:
cd /opt/etc
ls -l mon*
cat mon*
cat .ht*

Following that the following should fix things:
mv mongoose.conf mongoose.confx
mv mongoose.conf.old mongoose.conf
service stop mongoose
service start mongoose

Are you sure you did not set a password on the settings page?

Thanks.
I don't recollect setting a password on the settings page.
After entering cd /opt/etc I get /bin/sh: cd/opt/etc: not found

raydon -
I've created a basic iphone remote package based upon the "remote-control" package.
i'm not a developer so I won't be moving it any further forward than it's current state so was wondering if you would know who could take it under their wing?
it may even be good enough to be included in the package list - i don't know.

i can email you the package or something.

love your work by the way!

:) Spot on. When I retype it correctly it all works. Problem solved. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom