Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to dip in and out of this thread as necessitated by any issues I face. Generally, I forget what I need to do by way of trouble shooting since the last time I had an issue! While there is a wealth of information within these threads, with over 1,000 posts it's near impossible to find the pertinent information. Would it be possible to have some kind of static post containing an FAQ and some initial diagnostic steps? Is there one somewhere already that I've missed?

I had a problem where I'd edited the channel list using the utility that runs on your PC with the resultant file going back into \Media\Channels. I'd simply wanted to replace the SD versions of BB1, ITV and Channel 4 with their HD equivalents. This worked initially until something happened to C4 HD and it was no longer watchable. Series recording also seemed to have stopped working.

I've finally got around to trying to fix these issues and my first thought was to check what version of the software I was running and trying to upgrade it if required. I found the package manager screen and checked for upgrades. Is this all I have to do to upgrade everything or does this does this only check the applications? How can I find the current version of the firmware and what is the latest version?

From reading /docs/guide/Channel_Editor_Plug-in_Guide.html I think the C4 HD issue I mentioned is caused by the 3am event being overwritten as described there and hopefully using this new method will resolve that issue. I'm still not sure if the series recording issue is related to channel renumbering and I'll need to keep any eye on this!

Thanks for the great work!
:)

Last edited:
I had a problem where I'd edited the channel list using the utility that runs on your PC with the resultant file going back into \Media\Channels. I'd simply wanted to replace the SD versions of BB1, ITV and Channel 4 with their HD equivalents. This worked initially until something happened to C4 HD and it was no longer watchable. Series recording also seemed to have stopped working.

I've finally got around to trying to fix these issues and my first thought was to check what version of the software I was running and trying to upgrade it if required. I found the package manager screen and checked for upgrades. Is this all I have to do to upgrade everything or does this does this only check the applications? How can I find the current version of the firmware and what is the latest version?

From reading /docs/guide/Channel_Editor_Plug-in_Guide.html I think the C4 HD issue I mentioned is caused by the 3am event being overwritten as described there and hopefully using this new method will resolve that issue. I'm still not sure if the series recording issue is related to channel renumbering and I'll need to keep any eye on this!
Indeed, one of the disadvantages of Mogie's original PC utility was that it didn't pick up any channel/transponder changes etc. since it always reapplied the whole channel list as edited on your PC. (If I remember right then C4 HD recently moved to the new Astra 1N satellite which would explain why your old transpdner details no longer work)

However your timing is good :) - last week adrianf36 released a major overhaul of this channel editor functionality which is now fully integrated into the web interface, and caters fully for changes to the channel list which the HDR box makes. See here for all instructions and installation details. This renders the Windows tool obsolete:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1601205-web-interface-channel-editor-plug-foxsat-hdr.html

Don't think the custom firmware version is relevant to fix your issue, but you can see it by going into the web interface and selecting the "settings" screen - it's the first line in the page. The latest version is 4.0.6.

You can check the currently installed versions of all the plug ins by going to the web interface "Package Management" page.

So, I'm still not sure how I can rearrange the channel list such that the HD versions replace their SD versions in the list... The "Re-ordering/Re-Numbering/Deleting Non-Freesat Channels" section in the Channel Editor Plug-in guide suggests in that case I should "Move/Delete/Re-order non-Freesat channels as desired via the Foxsat User Interface " which I assume is still applicable to Freesat channels but I can't see how the GUI allows you to re-order channels.

Can someone explain what I should be doing? I'm not sure if the answer lies within the normal Foxsat functionality or the upgraded firmware.

Many thanks!

So, I'm still not sure how I can rearrange the channel list such that the HD versions replace their SD versions in the list... The "Re-ordering/Re-Numbering/Deleting Non-Freesat Channels" section in the Channel Editor Plug-in guide suggests in that case I should "Move/Delete/Re-order non-Freesat channels as desired via the Foxsat User Interface " which I assume is still applicable to Freesat channels but I can't see how the GUI allows you to re-order channels.

Can someone explain what I should be doing? I'm not sure if the answer lies within the normal Foxsat functionality or the upgraded firmware.

Many thanks!

I rather think you have not installed the current release - You cannot now reorder channels - that causes major problems with the current humax housekeeping process.

You need to go to package management and update the list from the internet, then update the channel editor and then the url for the doc should then show as something like http://192.168.0.10/docs/guide/Channel_Editor_WebIf_Plugin_Guide.html

p.s. Post on the channel editor should really go in it's thread - so that users have less to trawl.

Last edited:
Any chance you could update the link above to actually point to the origional thread and not this one. I guess the mod could not be bothered to do it correctly. :D
Thanks, hadn't noticed that. Fixed now.

Any chance you could update the link above to actually point to the origional thread
One poster's spelling is another's linking.:D

I certainly make them too, and js did the split but raydon knows that I was the one that put in the link.

I used Samba to move a recorded program (the three files plus the directory of files, thumbnails?) from the Video directory into a sub-directory. The program was then no longer visible via the normal Foxsat GUI in either the root or the sub-directory. I tried moving the program back using Samba again and it's now visible in the Video directory but the 'move' function is greyed out in the Foxsat's file manager. It's actually greyed out for all programs apart from those recorded subsequently to this failed attempt at moving the program.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done? What can I do to bring back the ability to move the old programs using the Foxsat's file manager?

Thanks!

Firstly, thanks much indeed for a wonderful facility; my first time trying it, and hugely impressed :)

quick question, please: does the version of dropbear used support the ssh publickey method?

I tried copying an authorized_keys file to /opt/etc/dropbear/, but that didn't work. Normally it would go into ~/.ssh/config, but that is a read-only fs so can't do that either.

Any ideas please?

thanks again, great stuff.

Hey Guy's,

I've been using the HDR media bundle for a long time now and I am loving it! :D

However, I have noticed that a large number of people are apprehensive to apply it themselves or just don't know about it.

I would love to offer the service to go out an install it on boxes in my local are (there are loads as we didn't gain Freeview here until this month!).

I would like to charge a small amount for this service although I would't feel right charging and using the open source software. I would like to donate every time I use it but I would like to know what size of donation would be advised.

Thanks,
Robert ;)

Hey Guy's,

However, I have noticed that a large number of people are apprehensive to apply it themselves or just don't know about it.

I would love to offer the service to go out an install it on boxes in my local are (there are loads as we didn't gain Freeview here until this month!).

I would like to charge a small amount for this service although I would't feel right charging and using the open source software. I would like to donate every time I use it but I would like to know what size of donation would be advised.

Thanks,
Robert ;)
If I'd wanted to make a business venture out of the Media and File Server Bundle I would have done so. It is FREE and always will be. Myself, and the other developers do not make a single penny for all the time and effort we spend in creating and suppporting this project. If we can use our time doing all this for free, then why should you make money by simply installing it for others. Where's your community spirit. You should install it for free if you really wanted to help others. Shame on you, you will not get any help or encouragement from me. Go make your money somewhere else.

Hey Guy's,

Thanks,
Robert ;)

It is free, so if you want to help others, help them for free.

If I'd wanted to make a business venture out of the Media and File Server Bundle I would have done so. It is FREE and always will be. Myself, and the other developers do not make a single penny for all the time and effort we spend in creating and suppporting this project. If we can use our time doing all this for free, then why should you make money by simply installing it for others. Where's your community spirit. You should install it for free if you really wanted to help others. Shame on you, you will not get any help or encouragement from me. Go make your money somewhere else.

Well said raydon.

Hello all,

Foxsat-HDR - Beta

HPRSFCI 1.00.20

humax have posted a beta update that is meant to fix crashes , as my epg was crashing everyday i flashed it but of course it wiped out the file and media bundle.

any change of a new build incuding this fix in the future ?

Sorry Guy's, that is precisely the response I deserved and expected. I thank you all from your time and I definitely will not be doing so.

Sorry,
Robert

I installed the Channel Editor plugin, had a quick look and decided against it and uninstalled it. The thing is my Samba [2.0.10-1] install isn't working any more.

Could the Channel Editor install/uninstall have messed up my Samba?
I reinstalled Samba but still no joy. It used to work perfectly.

MeidaTomb is working fine.

Any ideas?

It is FREE and always will be. Myself, and the other developers do not make a single penny for all the time and effort we spend in creating and supporting this project. If we can use our time doing all this for free, then why should you make money by simply installing it for others. Where's your community spirit.

So well put. Thank you.:smashin:

Last edited:
I installed the Channel Editor plugin, had a quick look and decided against it and uninstalled it. The thing is my Samba [2.0.10-1] install isn't working any more.

Could the Channel Editor install/uninstall have messed up my Samba?
I reinstalled Samba but still no joy. It used to work perfectly.

MediaTomb is working fine.

Any ideas?

How is samba usually accessed? Have you tried as a network drive using the ip?

It is unlikely that the Channel Editor install/un-install would have messed up Samba. Has anything else changed?

Hello all,

Foxsat-HDR - Beta

HPRSFCI 1.00.20

humax have posted a beta update that is meant to fix crashes , as my epg was crashing everyday i flashed it but of course it wiped out the file and media bundle.

any change of a new build incuding this fix in the future ?
A new custom firmware will be released when Humax push this version out OTA and not before. In the meantime if you reflash with CFW 4.0.6 all will be restored as was. No need to reinstall any applications.

the last 3/4 days my custom channel edit file keeps resetting itself back to standard, must be after the 3am house keeping shed,
so i re-upload my saved HDR_channels_update file via filezilla to channels folder, reboot all's fine channels list back to the way i want it,
then next morning boot up same thing gets overwritten back to standard.
what's changed in the last 4 days?

How is samba usually accessed? Have you tried as a network drive using the ip?

It is unlikely that the Channel Editor install/un-install would have messed up Samba. Has anything else changed?

Usually I use samba on my mac. Normally if the foxsat wasn't appearing in Finder I'd just hit CMD+K and enter smb://foxsat-hdr or smb://ip address and it would connect

I tried the ip address but no joy. Unless Apple messed something up with a software update I can't think of anything that changed [apart from the Channel Editor]

I can connect using VLC an its UnP protocol on the mac.

Would completely reinstalling Raydon's Firmware be of any benefit or would it just be the same as the reinstall of Samba plugin?

Have installed v4.0.6 and can access HDR through browser and see/use basic Browser Media option. However when trying to install full web interface get following error:

!! ERROR RETRIEVING PACKAGE LIST FROM THE REPOSITORY !!

I have firmware 1.00.17 installed and internet access on HDR (can view iPlayer). Searching posts could only find #330 http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...undle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-1-a-11.html. Have noticed that when looking Network under menu on HDR that the DNS address is changing every 30seconds or so, eg. 128.124.112.0 to 128.184.112.0 to 128.88.112.0 to 128.68.112.0.

Any ideas?

Have noticed that when looking Network under menu on HDR that the DNS address is changing every 30seconds or so, eg. 128.124.112.0 to 128.184.112.0 to 128.88.112.0 to 128.68.112.0.

I'm surprised that iplayer works if your IP is changing all the time. Have you checked the settings on your DHCP server/router?

Checked router IP address is shown as 188.220.218.99 and isn't changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom