Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to release another update of the package.
The firmware in this release is compatible with Humax original firmware versions 1.00.13 and 1.00.15.

New in this release:

vsFTPd FTP server, a more feature rich alternative to TinyFTP.
MediaTomb DLNA server, a freeware alternative to TwonkyMedia.
Thanks go to mogie for sourcing the binaries for these applications.

Full details are provided in the included ReadMe.txt.
Please take the time to read this carefully.

Update: release v3b 3/4/11 - USB Ext3 fix.
Update: release v3c 8/4/11 - udhcpc changes.

This version is now supeceded by release v4.0

See the new thread HERE

regards
raydon

Last edited:
Again, what has this to do with Satellite?
And wouldn't it be better for potential users to find if it was in Forums > Home Entertainment Players and Recorders > PVRs and VCRs?

And wouldn't it be better for potential users to find if it was in Forums > Home Entertainment Players and Recorders > PVRs and VCRs?
The Foxsat HDR is a satellite PVR, again this was pointed out to you in the original thread. However, feel free to move this thread or delete it if you wish to be so pedantic about it.

I looked in there once - much less of interest - much prefer here.

Thanks again raydon for the cracking work. I was waiting for this before I tried out the 1.00.15 version....

logiciel - please don't delete this thread. The users of the freesat+ humax pvr's need this post if they want to have extra functionality on their boxes and retain compatibility with the original humax freesat+ firmware. Burying the information in some other corner of the forum really will not help.

I only ever visit the satellite forum because I have a freesat+ box and I want to access all the information about the service and receivers in one place. I don't really want to have to scan other forums.

Thanks again raydon for the cracking work. I was waiting for this before I tried out the 1.00.15 version....

logiciel - please don't delete this thread. The users of the freesat+ humax pvr's need this post if they want to have extra functionality on their boxes and retain compatibility with the original humax freesat+ firmware. Burying the information in some other corner of the forum really will not help.

I only ever visit the satellite forum because I have a freesat+ box and I want to access all the information about the service and receivers in one place. I don't really want to have to scan other forums.
What he said.

The Foxsat HDR is a satellite PVR, again this was pointed out to you in the original thread. However, feel free to move this thread or delete it if you wish to be so pedantic about it.
You deliberately misunderstand me.
I clearly suggested that it might "be better for potential users to find" if it was in the specific PVR forum.
All the response I needed from you was that in your opinion it would not be better for them.
I didn't mention deleting and had no intention of doing so.

Excellent stuff Raydon.

Logi - time for a sub forum or two I think, this thread is very specifically about a particular Freesat PVR, its the most popular one and hence you're going to get many threads about it. A freesat+ subforum or Humax HDR sub-forum would be the best thing.

logiciel - I know it is a tough job to moderate these forums and keep things orderly, especially when you don't understand the detail content of every post. I appreciate the work and would certainly not visit here if it was unmoderated.

However, this issue was debated in a couple of previous threads when you raised the question earlier - which you yourself reference by prefixing your post with "Again, ....". We can't continue to clutter up every new thread on this very important and continually evolving topic with a debate on what it has to do with satellite, especially when its relevance is self evident to every single person who contributes to the thread.

Continually hounding the forum users will most likely result in them upsticks and moving over to digital spy to carry on the debate in peace.

I clearly suggested that it might "be better for potential users to find" if it was in the specific PVR forum.
All the response I needed from you was that in your opinion it would not be better for them.

How are you mods getting on with your discussions - It don't think PVR's and VCR's go together at all and advice on freeview PVR's are not interesting to freesat owners and v.v. I vote for a adding freesat+ to the above freesat and Humax under it.

Nice one raydon..

as for the thread location, I see no problem with where it is currently. If the topic is not of ones interest, don't click on it. I see posts about other manufacturers, I ignore them, like some rat thing on tele says 'easies' :laugh:

First, I'm not taking comments like "pedantic", "cluttering with debate", and "hounding", and the hint implied by "in peace", and will regard anything like them in the future as rule breaking.
I would have thought that if I am treating you so badly you'd be glad to go over to Gavtech in PVRs-VCRs.;)
To repeat, the point of my brief post was to suggest that potential new users - not you regulars - might find the the threads more easily if they were not being diverted by the forum being about Satellite TV.
The idea was to benefit them, and it could also benefit raydon by having his work more readily and widely available.
My post was only a question though - I invited the answer and you've all given it.
I didn't invite a debate and a couple of words in answer from each of you would have been adequate.
The point about mixing your machines with Freeview is confirmed by a look I just took at the other forum: PVRs and VCRs Forum.
I don't have the status to start new sub-forums but there are discussions going on that might have the results some of you helpfully suggest.

GC: I didn't say there was a problem about it being in this location; I asked if it would be better in another - now we know it wouldn't.

Last edited:

I came accross this forum, as did others, I suspect; as a result of the work of raydon and mogie. I am extremely dissapointed that you would accuse raydon of deliberately misunderstanding you.

@raydon. Thank you for sharing your work with us. I haven't had the opportunity to try this out, but intend doing so over Easter.

The point about mixing your machines with Freeview is confirmed by a look I just took at the other forum: PVRs and VCRs Forum.

I used to inhabit the PVRs and VCRs forum, but it is heavily into Freeview and not Freesat. I used it for my Digitalstream Freeview+ recorder.

Having gone over to satellite a few weeks ago, when I wanted information on a freesat HDR, I found this forum - and am very glad I did. I alternate between the Freesat and Satellite forum, a level above, and have found all the information about satellite in general - but more importantly, about the Foxsat HDR. It also gave me the confidence to try the modified firmware, thanks to raydon and others.

I genuinely think it best to keep ALL satellite related stuff together in these two forums - Satellite and the subthread Freesat. This includes the straight receivers and HDRs as the satellite bit is common to both.

Thanks to all for an excellent forum.

Ray D

First, I'm not taking comments like "pedantic", "cluttering with debate", and "hounding", and the hint implied by "in peace", and will regard anything like them in the future as rule breaking.
I would have thought that if I am treating you so badly you'd be glad to go over to Gavtech in PVRs-VCRs..

I would be inclined to vote for a sub-forum in another Forum, that would kill 2 birds with one stone!

I am extremely dissapointed that you would accuse raydon of deliberately misunderstanding you.
My post asked two questions, to establish to what extent the thread is on topic, and to enquire whether it might be better for users - and by implication for raydon - if it were located in a different sub-forum. I did not say that it is in the wrong thread or that I would delete it. The reply showed misunderstanding of those two points. It was my opinion that the misunderstanding could not have been acccidental.
that would kill 2 birds with one stone!
This bird isn't so easily disposed of, and Gavtech wouldn't take any of that hassle.

Last edited:
having some problems with it saving channels on a reboot, keeps deleting the file update

Last edited:
logiciel m8 >>> go with that /freesat/humax

it means anyone coming into the freesat forum will easily find, and at the moment it generates the most posts because of the wonderful work from Raydon.

Honestly just create it right now, if there is any issues then we can discuss them inside the new forum, makes best sense.

having some problems with it saving channels on a reboot, keeps deleting the file update

If you are on 1.00.15 use the non volatile version (in bundle 3).
With this combination the Backup is the version updated by housekeeping and the Update version is your edited version.

My post asked two questions, to establish to what extent the thread is on topic, and to enquire whether it might be better for users - and by implication for raydon - if it were located in a different sub-forum. I did not say that it is in the wrong thread or that I would delete it. The reply showed misunderstanding of those two points. It was my opinion that the misunderstanding could not have been acccidental.
I did not misunderstand your first question. You asked
to which i replied 'The Foxsat HDR is a satellite PVR' and highlighted the word satellite to make the association clear.
What I didn't understand is why you felt the need to ask it again, since it had already been asked, and replied to, in the original thread on this very same subject. The general consensus at that time was that it was on-topic.
I could only assume by your re-asking of the question that you still don't agree, since you then went to suggest an alternative location.

I responded to your second question by saying that the thread could be moved or deleted if you felt strongly about it remaining here. I agree you did not say that you would delete the thread. Others reading the post just thought you might do, and so requested that you didn't.
Personally I have no preference as to where it goes. Freesat just seems to be the most logical place, but ultimately it's up you to decide.

go with that /freesat/humax Honestly just create it right now
I refer the honourable member to my previous reply: "I don't have the status(!) to start new sub-forums";), but thank you.:thumbsup:

raydon:
I took your reply to the first question rather like the ones some of us remember getting a few(?) years ago: Q: why is X Y?; A: Because it is.
What you misunderstood about that question is that I'm actually interested, and I believe new posters would also be interested, in what your work actually does to improve or affect satelltie TV reception. Even if it does nothing to it that's OK, but I, and I believe we, would like to know. I don't ask loaded questions, or rhetorical questions, I seek information and enlightenment.
My second question didn't have anything in it to say that I "felt strongly about it remaining here". It invited opinions, especially from you.

Raydon: this is very cool, i was considoring purchasing one of these boxes and having now seen custom firmware out this has convinced me I should invest.

question though: what would it take to be able to stream channels live from the box to a PC in say VLC, like the dbox2?

logiciel m8

I mean this with no disrespect at all and were I live we say it all our closest friends if anything its meaning that should be taken as warm and friendly

logiciel mate your getting on everyone's tits lol

Its a great forum you have here so you have, but honestly I don't see anyone else complaining and if anything it really is boosting new members onto Avforums, there has been no great deal of freesat news for a good while now, and this has certainly kept this forum busy with Raydon's and Mogies great work - we owe them more than you can ever understand.

logiciel honestly mate just sit back and relax, lets just all get along and all benefit from this major work. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom