Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 3 Dummies Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarky

Established Member
Reaction score
4ic0zk.jpg

Download the Release 3 Package from here --> http://www.4shared.com/file/CHaplbLl/raydons_Media_and_File_Server_.html

Guide on how to update your Foxsat Satellite Receiver.

Part 1

Your Satellite Foxsat Receiver must be connected to your Broadband Router.

14t607l.jpg

Part 2

You need a USB Stick

i4n7tj.jpg

Part 3

Insert the USB Stick into your Computer and Format it, format it to FAT32

o9322q.jpg

Part 4

Download and Install Winrar from - WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Part 5

double click onto “ The Update Bundle “ and extract using winrar (that you just installed) – extract “ The Update Bundle “ to your desktop

29ok9dy.jpg

Part 6

Everything in the Installer folder – Drag that onto the usb stick Also the FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf file too

ejz36.jpg

Part 7

Take the USB Stick to your Foxsat Satellite Receiver and insert into the front port

dpineo.jpg

Part 8

Turn OFF Your Foxsat Satellite Receiver (Wait until the red light comes on)

6pam8h.jpg

Part 9

Hold the ON/OFF Button on the front of the Foxsat Satellite Receiver for 5 seconds (KEEP IT PRESSED), If successful you should see this screen

xdcbhw.jpg

Part 10

Press the Off button on the Foxsat Satellite Receiver it should take 40 seconds to update your box (DO NOT REMOVE USB STICK UNTIL Box Turns off)

Congratulations you have now " Jailbroken your Box " you can now share your box up to 7 other media devices.

Last edited:
Part 13

Click " My Computer " or " Computer " on windows 7 then click Network it should take a few seconds but you should see FOXSAT-HDR click that.

i2q74h.jpg

then click Video

It should list all the recorded programs on your humax

bi5xxw.jpg

Its now simply just clicking onto a MPEG-2 TS Video file to play Anything !

1gt1lw.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a Ipad, download and install Buzz Player - Now you can watch video directly from your Ipad - You can also download the videos from your Humax onto your ipad and watch on the move.

2m5o0tl.jpg

Very nice write up, and for I think the first time, you say 'why' users might want to do the mod in the first place with the inclusion of the pictures at the very end. Personally, I'd start with that, I think a lot of novices are wondering why they want to mod in the first place :)

Some added comments :
1. The foxsat appears to also handle FAT as well as FAT32. The HDR is known not to like larger capacity USB sticks.
2. WINZIP (14.5 anyway) also handles rars correctly.
3. If you are using a HDMI you may not see the installation screen - in this case three digit numbers will appear on the HDR display panel as the upgrade progresses as soon as you see these release the standby button. END will indicate the end of flash process. The box will reboot after a small delay, if not press standby briefly.
4. Windows Media plater (version 12) also plays .ts files from a samba shared folder but not via Twonky.

I've installed Buzz Player on my iPhone but when I log into the Foxsat, it doesn't display any recordings. Any ideas why this might be?

Can I also add my thanks to you wonderful people who have provided these wonderful mods.

I've installed Buzz Player on my iPhone but when I log into the Foxsat, it doesn't display any recordings. Any ideas why this might be?

Can I also add my thanks to you wonderful people who have provided these wonderful mods.

Do you have any other device (like a PC) on your network?

Yes, my iMac is also on the network but I haven't tried adding that yet.

I've not been able to get streaming via my iphone (Non Jailbroken) as yet, maybe its because I only have the Iphone3g like you it would not stream via Buzz Player - it only worked the ipad app.

However on the iphone it did work once I jailbroke it and installed xbmc

Install XBMC on iPhone/iPad - XBMC

XBMC will work on the mac too, its a great media player one of the best.

Wow, excellent. I'm really tempted to try this. Is it risk-free and won't mess with any official updates from Humax>

Wow, excellent. I'm really tempted to try this. Is it risk-free and won't mess with any official updates from Humax>

Nothing is risk free. It's fine - Humax updates will disable it but I am sure raydon will confirm if any changes to the install are necessary.
If you download a copy of the 1.00.13 firmware from Humax's site (or the beta from the beta site) you can go back without any problem.

There have been no reported problems with Raydon's update - its very easy to remove too, just re-flash with the official one from humax if you want to go back, but once its updated makes the box fantastic - almost life changing (if your a telly addict)

Okay, sounds good. Just wondering, once it is jail-broken would all pc's in my network be able to see it without any configuration. (because I don't want this) I'd just like my PC to be able to view the contents of the box etc.

Okay, sounds good. Just wondering, once it is jail-broken would all pc's in my network be able to see it without any configuration. (because I don't want this) I'd just like my PC to be able to view the contents of the box etc.

Depends on which of the packages you install, the Operating systems of the PC and what software is installed on the PC. Also to some extent any advanced expertise of the user.

The only thing I haven't been able to get working is seeing my external drive - the one plugged into the Foxsat-HDR - on the PC.

I have the Foxsat hard drive appearing as \\Foxsat-HDR\Video but can't get the PC to recognise the USB drive.

I have tried to map \\Foxsat-HDR\sda1 but Windows 7 says it can't find it.

It is set up as a share in Samba and I can FTP it and find it side by side with Video in the Media folder.

I can see it in the web browser if I go to http://foxsat-hdr - just not in Windows explorer.

What do I need to type in on the PC to map to it?

Cheers,

Ray D

Is there a simple/other option if you have 2 foxsat boxes and want to install the update on both boxes? I am thinking I would get some sort of network conflict if I did update both boxes?

Is there a simple/other option if you have 2 foxsat boxes and want to install the update on both boxes? I am thinking I would get some sort of network conflict if I did update both boxes?

You are indeed correct - Both boxes would require different host names if they are in use at the same time. This is changeable in the configuration files.
If you tell me which packages you want to install I will look what you have to change. e.g. for samba edit smb.conf and change foxsat-hdr to foxsat-hdr2.

You are indeed correct - Both boxes would require different host names if they are in use at the same time. This is changeable in the configuration files.
If you tell me which packages you want to install I will look what you have to change. e.g. for samba edit smb.conf and change foxsat-hdr to foxsat-hdr2.
You will need to edit the hostname file /opt/etc/hostname regardless of which applications you install.

Last edited:
The only thing I haven't been able to get working is seeing my external drive - the one plugged into the Foxsat-HDR - on the PC.

I have the Foxsat hard drive appearing as \\Foxsat-HDR\Video but can't get the PC to recognise the USB drive.

I have tried to map \\Foxsat-HDR\sda1 but Windows 7 says it can't find it.

It is set up as a share in Samba and I can FTP it and find it side by side with Video in the Media folder.

I can see it in the web browser if I go to http://foxsat-hdr - just not in Windows explorer.

What do I need to type in on the PC to map to it?

Cheers,

Ray D

I have added this in my /opt/etc/smb.conf file on my Hummy
Code:
[USB]
   comment = Iomega
   path = /media/sda1
   public = yes
   read only = no
   create mask = 0640
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

edited to remove my stupid bit about front/back thanks to raydon ---vvvv--- for clearing up ,
apologies. Rob

Last edited:
I have added this in my /opt/etc/smb.conf file on my Hummy (note this is on the Back USB port which is sda2 the front one is sda1)
Code:
[USB]
   comment = Iomega
   path = /media/sda2
   public = yes
   read only = no
   create mask = 0640
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no
I'd like to clear up this area of USB drive identification as my experience differs from those of debitcardmayhem, and I'd like to avoid any confusion.

What I have found is that:
The first USB drive to be plugged in, regardless of whether it's the front or rear USB port becomes sda1. A second drive that is plugged in afterwards becomes sdb1.
If both USB ports have drives connected at boot time, then the rear port becomes sda1 and the front port becomes sdb1.
If you're using a USB hub then additional drives will become sdc1, sde1 etc.etc.
The only time you ever get an sda2 if you have a USB drive with two partitions, in which case they will then appear as sda1 and sda2.
Does anyone else have any different experience. :confused:

I'd like to clear up this area of USB drive identification as my experience differs from those of debitcardmayhem, and I'd like to avoid any confusion.

What I have found is that:
The first USB drive to be plugged in, regardless of whether it's the front or rear USB port becomes sda1. A second drive that is plugged in afterwards becomes sdb1.
If both USB ports have drives connected at boot time, then the rear port becomes sda1 and the front port becomes sdb1.
If you're using a USB hub then additional drives will become sdc1, sde1 etc.etc.
The only time you ever get an sda2 if you have a USB drive with two partitions, in which case they will then appear as sda1 and sda2.
Does anyone else have any different experience. :confused:

My bad raydon, thanks for clearing that up having a bad today, maybe better tomorrow :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom