Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 3 Dummies Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to clear up this area of USB drive identification as my experience differs from those of debitcardmayhem, and I'd like to avoid any confusion.

What I have found is that:
The first USB drive to be plugged in, regardless of whether it's the front or rear USB port becomes sda1. A second drive that is plugged in afterwards becomes sdb1.

Do you really mean the first USB drive to be plugged in, or do you mean the first USB socket to be used?

I updated using a memory stick via the front USB socket, so presume the socket became sdb1. Later, plugging a USB hard drive into the front socket, I presume it should still show as sda1 as the same USB socket is used.

I have never used the back USB socket.

My smb.conf already has the block:

[USB]
comment = USB Drive
path = /media/sda1
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

so, I don't see why it shouldn't work. I have tried mapping the drive as \\Foxsat-HDR\sda1 but Windows 7 says it can't be found. FTP and http DO however find it.

I suspect I'm not writing the correct text in when I try and map the drive in Windows.

Cheers,

Ray D

I've finally cracked it.

Instead of mapping to \\Foxsat-HDR\sda1 I have to map to \\Foxsat-HDR\USB - which is what the samba share is called.

All works now.

Cheers,

Ray D

I've finally cracked it.

Instead of mapping to \\Foxsat-HDR\sda1 I have to map to \\Foxsat-HDR\USB - which is what the samba share is called.

All works now.

Cheers,

Ray D

Well done, I didn't realise your were trying to map it, I am having one of those days (monday I guess) yeah if you try to Map it then the bit in [USB] is the name that samba gives you. I have a big drive in the back of my box called that and a stick in the front for that I give samba the name [Stick] .

Do you really mean the first USB drive to be plugged in, or do you mean the first USB socket to be used?
Isn't that both one and the same thing ?
Anyway to avoid any possibility of confusion.
The first USB drive [or stick] to be plugged in [to a USB port], regardless of whether it's the front or rear USB port becomes sda1. A second drive that is plugged in afterwards [to the other USB port] becomes sdb1.:)

Last edited:
Is there any way to get files from pc streaming to Foxsat?

jkm

In a word, No. :(

Thanks Raydon just what I thought, however can I ask another question?
I have used many Linux boxes i the past and I am a music lover, with The Dreambox on cetain firmware I can play Flac files.
Do you think that this will ever be possible on the Foxsat?

jkm

Thanks Raydon just what I thought, however can I ask another question?
I have used many Linux boxes i the past and I am a music lover, with The Dreambox on cetain firmware I can play Flac files.
Do you think that this will ever be possible on the Foxsat?

jkm

I've tried this and the Foxsat certainly won't play FLAC encoded files, which is a pity as most of my CD collection is encoded this way. The issue would be that the user interface and player functions on the Foxsat are closed. Raydon and mogie and others use the open Busybox part of the software in order to provide the ftp/samba/uPNP facilities. It's a pity that the box doesn't support the playing of FLAC files:( I'm on the lookout myself for a media player which will support Freeview-like PVR and media functions. I've found the AC Ryan Playon! HD DVR which seems to tick all the boxes (including FLAC), but I'm not 100% sure it will work here in Ireland where we are using DVB-T and H.264 encoded HD transmissions.

Has anyone tried this I did, then ran the bundle no telnet no ftp so had to resort to 1.00.13. It could be just my set-up since I have messed a bit:cool:.
Also if you see this Raydon the AV2HDR 1.5 will happily ftp to the box but sadly the file permissions do not allow access from Windows explorer they are created as -rwx------ so I cannot open up the directory. I guess that that is because of svftp ??

Has anyone tried this I did, then ran the bundle no telnet no ftp so had to resort to 1.00.13. It could be just my set-up since I have messed a bit:cool:.
Also if you see this Raydon the AV2HDR 1.5 will happily ftp to the box but sadly the file permissions do not allow access from Windows explorer they are created as -rwx------ so I cannot open up the directory. I guess that that is because of svftp ??
I don't have any problem with 1.00.15 - I can also access all the samba shares fine from Windows Explorer. You don't mention what you are trying to access?

No, nothing at all to do with vsftpd. I have never experienced problems using Explorer to access video created and FTP'd with AV2HDR. And, as stated in the initial release, the firmware works for both 1.00.13 and 1.00.15 beta. I think your first statement was nearer the mark 'It could be just my set-up since I have messed a bit'

No, nothing at all to do with vsftpd. I have never experienced problems using Explorer to access video created and FTP'd with AV2HDR. And, as stated in the initial release, the firmware works for both 1.00.13 and 1.00.15 beta. I think your first statement was nearer the mark 'It could be just my set-up since I have messed a bit'

Hi raydon have attached a screen shot of two directories Alicia (vsftpd) and Alicia_tiny (tinyftp) as you can see the file permissions are totally different. The vsftpd one is only rx for owner the tiny one is group and other rx permissions. I can open that fine is Explorer but the vsftpd one gives access denied. I can get around that no problems using chmod or using filezilla, I was really pointing it out in case someone falls foul of it.

Great work again btw .

Attachments

• tiny-vs-vsftp.jpg
    tiny-vs-vsftp.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 237
Hi raydon have attached a screen shot of two directories Alicia (vsftpd) and Alicia_tiny (tinyftp) as you can see the file permissions are totally different. The vsftpd one is only rx for owner the tiny one is group and other rx permissions. I can open that fine is Explorer but the vsftpd one gives access denied. I can get around that no problems using chmod or using filezilla, I was really pointing it out in case someone falls foul of it.

Great work again btw .
Hmmm... see what you mean.
Add the two lines I've highlighted to /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf
That should fix it.

Code:
# Standalone mode
listen=YES
max_clients=20
max_per_ip=8
ftpd_banner="Foxsat-HDR FTP server"
# Access rights
anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
[COLOR=Red]file_open_mode=0777
local_umask=0022[/COLOR]
#anon_upload_enable=NO
#anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
#anon_other_write_enable=NO
# Security
anon_world_readable_only=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
hide_ids=YES
pasv_min_port=50000
pasv_max_port=60000
# Features
xferlog_enable=NO
ls_recurse_enable=YES
ascii_download_enable=NO
async_abor_enable=YES
# Performance
one_process_model=NO
idle_session_timeout=1200
data_connection_timeout=3000
accept_timeout=60
connect_timeout=60
#anon_max_rate=50000
force_dot_files=YES

Last edited:
You will need to edit the hostname file /opt/etc/hostname regardless of which applications you install.

Do I change this with FTP or Telnet? :confused:

Hi raydon, thanks for coming back to me , I wonder if it really should be umask=6022 , since it will still mess with the directory perms without the leading 6 ?

Do I change this with FTP or Telnet? :confused:

If you want to change the hostname eg as Foxsat-HDR-Lounge then do this
Telnet to the box
then enter this
echo Foxsat-HDR-Lounge > /opt/etc/hostname

That will do it then go standby and restart again
Basically what this does "echo" ie print to the words Foxsat-HDR-Lounge to
the terminal but the > is a redirect to what ever is on the right of it. So before you do this try this
cat /opt/etc/hostname
this will print out as it is now
echo Foxsat-HDR-Lounge
you will see those words on your screen
Then after doing the echo Foxsat-HDR-Lounge > /opt/etc/hostname
do
cat /opt/etc/hostname
and that will show you the new name

Hope this helps , if anything goes wrong with any of raydons wonderfull software to can reverse this by doing
echo Foxsat-HDR > /opt/etc/hostname

Hi raydon, thanks for coming back to me , I wonder if it really should be umask=6022 , since it will still mess with the directory perms without the leading 6 ?
See above for edits to my earlier response. This will give permissions of 755 when you create a new directory.

See above for edits to my earlier response. This will give permissions of 755 when you create a new directory.
Good man, now I will try to sort out my 1.00.15 bits and pieces , you need a big :beer::beer::beer:

HELP......
I just followed the "Dummies"guide and I got the Downloading Screen on the Humax.... but there was an error message on the screen E-HF.

OK I can strike out the HELP bit as the box has rebooted and is back to normal. But after I got the error message the Box switched off and stayed off?

Any ideas why I got the error message?

Last edited:
Sounds like a corrupt usb flash drive you have,,

E-HF means the file is not in the correct HDR file format - do you have another one to try ?

Or maybe just format and try again, won't harm it.

Just tried that, re format that is. This is the same USB that I installed the first update on the box. All that happens now is this...
Insert USB
Humax says USB Drive has been inserted
Switch off Box and wait till red light goes on
Switch back on and hold for 5 seconds.... but all that happens is the box switches on and goes off until I let go of the button?

Or it may be a flash that is not compatible .. what size is it , and is it fat formatted ?? I believe Humax recommend 1Gb max but I have worked happily with a 16gb with fat32 , not all flashes are as good as Mr Gordon. If you have a different flash try that , if you have loaded the Raydon bundle it will be less fussy , but getting it there is the first problem...

Or it may be a flash that is not compatible .. what size is it , and is it fat formatted ?? I believe Humax recommend 1Gb max but I have worked happily with a 16gb with fat32 , not all flashes are as good as Mr Gordon. If you have a different flash try that , if you have loaded the Raydon bundle it will be less fussy , but getting it there is the first problem...

Its a Corsair 8gig formatted to FAT32.

Should there be just the one (FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf) file in the root of the USB or should I have put the FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf along with the 10 winrar files from the installers root of the USB?

Its a Corsair 8gig formatted to FAT32.

Should there be just the one (FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf) file in the root of the USB or should I have put the FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf along with the 10 winrar files from the installers root of the USB?

Should I try to re boot the Humax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom