1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media (DVD-R) for Toshiba XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CaptainFusion, Apr 10, 2005.

1. CaptainFusion

CaptainFusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen other posts, but decided to create a new thread concerning the problem.

I have just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to successfully load a blank DVD-R in to the Toshiba XS32 --- 17 attempts in a row failed, with either "check for damaged / clean disk" or "cannot ... prerecorded content".

Each time the urge to pull the unit off the shelf and destroy it became more and more intense.

What is the deal? Is it that the Toshiba XS32 is actually a piece of crap or is it the media?

I had purchased a 50-unit spindle of Staples DVD-R, and had not one problem. These same blank DVD-Rs go on sale, 25 for $8, so I buy three spindles. NONE WOULD LOAD. I opened a second spindle of 25, the same. Just opened the third out of complete frustration, and BOOM, loaded within seconds.

Should I blame Staples (an office supply franchise store)? Maybe ...

But what about Maxwell, Memorex, Fuji and Sony? Out of a Sony 50-unit spindle, 32 wouldn't load; 14 of 25-unit spindle also same result. Similar but worse results from a 50-unit of Fuji DVD-Rs, when I just stopped trying after about a dozen attempts.

As soon as I think "this" works, it doesn't.

Anyone have this kind of problem?

2. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I get the same problem m8, tried different media, seems to be hit and miss if it loads or not, from Riteks to Datawrite yellows and loads inbetween, even worse if I burn a film that I have backed up via my pc as the kids get their prints on em etc these hardly ever play no matter at what speed I have burnt them, I am contemplating updating the firmware.

Taz

3. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the Toshiba XS32 recorders are way too sensitive with media. I returned two units back in February because 90% of the media would not load. I tried four different brands. One of the most frustrating things is when it's trying to load, it could take several minutes and there's nothing you can do but wait it out. These same disks rejected by two Toshibas as "damaged or dirty" (I collected a whole spindle) were accepted without problem on the Pioneer I eventually purchased.

4. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have tried the upgrade but it comes up with version update not completed, any ideas why?

Taz

5. CaptainFusion

CaptainFusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, I spoke too soon about the third 25-unit spindle: XS32 loaded it pronto, but gave me the usual alerts when I tried to finalize --- six attempts/discs.

Why in the world do owners of this unit put up with this? If it was a situation of XXX Brand not loading, fine; but the fact the same brand will work and then suddenly won't is driving me insane.

Essentially, I have no way to get my money back on all these blank DVD-Rs simply because the XS32 is fickle (unless I buy another brand DVR!). What an absolute crock.

And YES, the seemingly eternal wait after hearing the noise that is now familiar, that the DVD-R put in the XS32 won't load. I've spent the entire day trying to burn ONE DVD successfully.

I fail to believe Toshiba can get away with selling a unit this defective.

6. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  7. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first posted about my bad experience with the Toshiba XS32 on a few forums, I got blasted from a few Toshiba lovers who insisted I was doing something wrong or using the wrong media. The Toshiba wasn't my first recorder (I've had a Panny E30 for several years).

The day I bought my first Toshiba, a lady was returning hers and talking about media with a sales guy. I'm convinced Toshiba produced some bad units that went to market.

CaptainFusion, where are you located and when did you get your Toshiba?
    I couldn't put up with it and I suggest you shouldn't have to either. BTW, Toshiba product support was not helpful. Their line was always busy, I left two voice messages and two emails. They replied to my email a month after I returned the recorders. Their suggestion "use 4X dvd-r".

8. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just about to order a Toshiba XS34 but reading this thread is giving me doubts. Are these isolated cases or is this a general problem with Toshiba XS32/34?

9. CaptainFusion

CaptainFusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Markham

I'm in Ohio/USA, and purchased the XS32 last Aug/Sept from a Best Buy franchise store. Admittedly, I didn't purchase an extended warranty --- to me, what I hear is "This item really isn't very good, so you better pay the extra $129 etc." If it's sitting on a shelf to be sold, right or wrong, I think I have a reasonable expectation to be purchasing a working item without having to be extorted for more 'insurance' money.

I mention that only because I have inquire at the Best Buy store about my problem, and instead of being helped, I felt I was being dressed-down for not buying the warranty.

To Markham and Howard:

I actually love the XS32 --- when it works is great! BUT ... lol

I probably have about 150 blank DVD-Rs from Sony, Staples, Fuji, Memorex (and a few Maxell) that aren't usable by the XS32. It's only been this weekend I've actually come to grips that its not the media manufacturere's fault but Toshiba's.

Again, if Brand X doesn't work with XS32, FINE. But finding a brand that seems to work with no problem, investing in it and then suddenly have the XS32 consistently (and almost persistantly) reject it is maddening.

I appreciate all the responses, knowing I'm not alone is a big piece of mind.

P.S. Thanks Taz ... but the link was to a German language site. On top of that, I'm not sure what to do with a firmware download (I understand the concept, but the XS32 sure isn't user friendly in many areas, I'm sure this will be another such area).

10. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Toshiba(s) here is Canada from Futureshop which is owned by Best Buy. You may be too late for Best Buy to exchange/refund, but what about your Toshiba warranty?

I've just looked at the on-line owners manual. It looks like the warranty is much better here in Canada.
    Canada 1 year parts/labor with new exchange 90 days, refurbished after 90 days.
    U.S 1 years parts/90 days labor. Looks like you may need to pay for labor.

I would go ahead a get Toshiba to fix it. I spent a whole week loading disk after disk trying to get my recordings off the hard drive. I know how frustrating it is.

11. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possibile that we in middle/east Europe have superior units of these than you in Canada, for instance? You make me worried, but I have to say, I've burned about 30-35 dvd's so far with non of any problems! I've used tdk, emtec, verbatim, gigamaster and arita. Only one piece of emtec coused the problem during loading, the tosh said something like "the damaged disc". That emtec was burned on pc with no problems (Nero said that) but the recorded media was unreadable in players (grundig, marantz, onkyo) what clearly means that it was media problem. *knock knock*

12. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just think Toshiba built a bad batch of machines and some unlucky few were the receptients of the units. It seems to be just the dvd drive that's problematic. Unfortunately, a dvd recorder that only occasionally accepts media is like owning a car that only starts one day a week. You can't live with it like that.

13. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try Datasafe x4, TDK, Verbatim Pastel and if you are feeling rich Taiyo Yuden. All a touch more expensive than normal but worthwhile in the long term.

14. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave up on Toshiba after trying Taiyo Yuden (as recommended in the owners' manual). Both units I tried rejected 90% of the Taiyo Yudens.

15. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case I would return the machine.

They can't blame the disks that they recommend!!!

Even the one I had trouble with worked(!) best with TY codeed disks!

16. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    if you chaps are willing to upgrade the firmware, it works, regonises lots more disks now after doing mine, make your you rename the .img to a .iso first before using Nero

Taz

17. itzme

itzme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Taz. Could you explain how to rename the .img to a .iso.
    I understand the burning to a CD-R as a data disc etc, but having dementia with the rename.
    Richard

18. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right-click on the file named "DVD_8-1_1415_USR.img" in Windows, select rename and change .img to .iso.

19. itzme

itzme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Toby.. I had already tried your Rename process many times but thanks to You I discovered I was trying to rename the partially unzipped file which was still compressed.
    I unzipped that file (524KB) and ended with DVD_8-1_1415_USR.img (1,024KB) then renamed it to DVD_8-1_1415_USR.iso
    So far I've burned one Data CD-R session only finalized (not the whole disc)and it has repeatedly failed with way to many trials.
    So, burnt another Data CD-R with finalizing both file and full disc. And it has repeatedly failed with way to many trials.
    So I burned the .img file and it has repeatedly failed with way to many trials.
    The bottom line is each disc prior to their burn with Roxi's EasyCD Creator was claimed to be: Not a valid (or supported) image file.
    All of the discs inserted in the rd32 says "Check the Disc. It may be damaged physically or require cleaning" (If everything fails tell the owner he's up a creak with a broken paddle)
    I tried inserting some other CD-R discs of the same Manufactures spindle that have VCD's and or SVCD's burned on them with my PC and they all played on the rd32.
    Again, the original file is named DVD_8-1_1415_USR.img and I've renamed it
    DVD_8-1_1415_USR.iso
    The site for download is: http://translate.google.com/transla...http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/dvdsupport/89/ (translated)
    And I also downloaded from the German's non translated site: http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/dvdsupport/89/ and followed the same practices as above with the same results.

Any revealing HELP will be very much appreciated.
    Richard
    PS: I'm going on 70yrs and I still have that very steep Learning curve mentioned so frequently about the rd32 and it now appears to be some what concaved. :) Oh,, by the way I recently returned a Lite On 5005 (I learned I needed a HDD too)that I had upgraded successfully using this same process as I stated above. Said that because I don't want you to think I'm a complete dumb dumb.

20. Teamscoop

Teamscoop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only just bought my 32 so does it need an upgrade? How do I tell?? Thanks T :lease:

21. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Scoop, got the setup menu, go back twice, (I think) and at the bottom of the screen it will say the version and the dvd rom version, ie ZL11 1414 if its 1415 I think thats the latest, thats the one I have upgraded to anyway, lol

Taz

22. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Go to the Setup Menu (Setup button on the remote, under the flap), it is under "Management Options" I think. You'll see something like ZL11 1414 (that's what mine is). The ZL11 (some are ZL10) is the software version. The 1414 is the firmware; the first 2 digits are the hardware version. Some are hardware 13, and for these the latest is 1313.

If it says for example ZL11 1415, you have the latest version.

Mark

23. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    itzme, try burning the disc with Nero. You can get a trial version here. Use burn CD from image file option at the slowest speed possible (and verify data afterwards to make sure it burnt correctly). You still have to burn the .iso one btw.

24. itzme

itzme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Toby,,,,, I have a aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa version 5.5.10.9 disc (not installed now though). I bought it some time ago. I'm wondering if that version has the option "burn CD from image file".?? Reason for asking is I did install it's packages in the disc but didn't like what Nero did to all my various file .exe's so I uninstalled all of them, nothing of Ahead installed now. Anyway I'll install my version tonight and will see what I find? . Do you mean to copy the image file only as an.iso and have nothing to do with the .img ??
    Thanks again.
    Richard

25. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you got Windows XP? If so then do it like this:

1) - Extract DVD_8-1_1415_USR.img to a convenient place.
    2) - Rename the file as instructed before (to DVD_8-1_1415_USR.iso).
    3) - Create a System Restore Point in XP.
    4) - Install old version of Nero you have.
    5) - Burn the DVD_8-1_1415_USR.iso file to CD with Nero (not as a data CD, but use the option "Burn CD from Image file", your old version should be capable of this without any problems).
    6) - Upgrade XS32 with your new disc.
    7) - Go back to PC and restore it to the System Restore Point you just created. That will get rid of Nero and all its associations on your PC.

26. itzme

itzme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, on it now ,,,,,,,,,,thanks again,,, that install was light years ago so will take a snap shot now and reinstall the Ahead program -- do the deed and try the update ,,maybe even leave the Head in. :) ,,Yes on the XP H.
    BTW,,my 32 is a factory refurb from eCost. This thread is not the right place to discuss so-called recording qualities per Bit settings but I'm certain My unit is suffering woeffully so maybe you can direct me to another thread or threads? thanks again. Richard

27. itzme

itzme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Toby and Gang.
    Using my old Nero Express with it's selection: What would you like to burn?,, then used the: "Disc Image or saved project" command.
    Worked like a champ, I used an old CD-RW for the burn and since then have burned a copy of it to a clean CD-R for a back up.
    Thanks Thanks Thanks
    Sure meet some nice people in these forums

:) Richard

28. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you got it sorted, itzme :thumbsup:.

29. chrimsun

chrimsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, this had been driving me crazy too. I use the Taiyo Yuden discs and it made me want to :suicide: Anyway, if you aren't in a position to do the firmware upgrade and really *have* to get something burned to disc with the unit, try this. Take the blank media out. Put in a "regular" studio DVD and play it for a few seconds. As well try turning the power off for a few minutes. It might take several tries but eventually it should accept the disc.
    It seems that if you get the error message (i.e. clean the disc or it may be damaged) and try to open the tray and reinsert the same disc it will NOT work. You have to "trick" or "reset" the unit by putting in a working DVD and/or switching it on and off.

That said, I did install the 13_14 firware upgrade and loaded several discs in a row with no problems :clap: :thumbsup:

Then, after burning and finalizing one, it was back to it's old ways :thumbsdow

30. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I believe it has to do with the hardware version of the drive. I don't think that 14 is neccessarily any better than 13. If you have the latest firmware with 13, it should work OK

Mark