Media Compatibility list DVD/CD media

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DVD and CD media compatibilty comes up in posts occasionally so I thought it might be useful to have one post that records what members here have tried and found works/doesn't. Its interesting that media from some big names isn't compatible, but smaller less known labels often is.

Anyway, to kick off here's recent stock I've used with my iMac's Matshita.

Compatible

PiData -R 8x full face printable
Datawrite CD-R printable
most Ritek GO5 -R I've tried have been OK

Incompatible

Ricoh +R 16x

Anyone know if TDK DVD-R Extra Fine Matt Printable 16x is OK?

At work I generally always buy Verbatim or Imation (depending on which stationery company has the best price or better Quidco cashback), but at home I'm not brand specific having picked stuff up from Tesco, Aldi, etc.

I've always just made sure that all CD and DVD media has been -R.
Ocassionally I get a Verify error but the discs usually work after.

I don't know about the specific discs that you mention, but I never use anything other than TDK 8x DVD-R, and with over five hundred used, in my iMac G5 and my Pioneer DVD recorder, I have never yet experienced even one failure.

For me, TDK are A OK :smashin:

At work I generally always buy Verbatim or Imation (depending on which stationery company has the best price or better Quidco cashback), but at home I'm not brand specific having picked stuff up from Tesco, Aldi, etc.

I've always just made sure that all CD and DVD media has been -R.
Ocassionally I get a Verify error but the discs usually work after.

Do you get good write speeds? I find that the better the brand the more likely the iMac is to write at x2, but the no names seem to manage x8 for some reason.

I don't know about the specific discs that you mention, but I never use anything other than TDK 8x DVD-R, and with over five hundred used, in my iMac G5 and my Pioneer DVD recorder, I have never yet experienced even one failure.

For me, TDK are A OK :smashin:

Thanks, I'll order some then.

Do you get good write speeds? I find that the better the brand the more likely the iMac is to write at x2, but the no names seem to manage x8 for some reason.

DVD always seem to be at about 2x.

It's never really been an issue for me as I always just leave it burning in the background. I just make sure I don't start opening large photoshop files or anything else that's processor hungry.

I don't have problems with other apps running etc but since buying the Pidata from SVP the speeds are up at 8x for the first time ever.

I've used DataWrite full face printable 8x DVD-R on my Alu iMac. Works but much faster on my external Pioneer burner.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom