Media centre pc, sound card, and yam 2600

DrMekon

Im looking to put some pc bits together to build a dedicated media centre solution, and wanted some advice over sound cards...

I have just got a Yamaha RXV2600 receiver, and wondered if I just need a bog standard card with either RCA and/or Optical SPDIF connectors... letting the amp do all the processing magic...

or would I benefit from getting say the HDA Mystique, or X-Plosion.. they both seem amazing cards, and unlike the creatives, have both the connectors I would require, without having either an external box, or front panel...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/HDA_Sound_Cards.html

Do I need such an advanced card, with all the features they boast, or will anything with a digital output produce the same results with the receiver...

I am awaiting delivery of the Denon DVD1920 player, but just wanted to add the "jukebox" functionality of a pc media centre into the mix... and want to get the most from it, especially with the yam, as its a mind blowing piece of kit!!

Any advice would be great...

Thanks

IRobot

I don't think a fancy sound card is necessary. You don't want your computer to do any of the sound processing. I built a HTPC a couple of days ago and used the motherboard spdif connectors to pass a digital signal via optical cable to a Denon 2807 amp. Movie files with a DD5.1 sound track sound fantastic.

DrMekon

Thanks.. just what I thought...:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom