media centre or seperates?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bluesilver, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bluesilver

bluesilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    this is probably a dumb question, but how does a media pc compare to good av equipment? By good, I mean about the £2k mark. I have a pc I could use as a media centre but I was going to go down the amp, dvd player etc route.
    this could save me a fair bit of money if I use my pc instead. It has a PCIE card (6600gt OC) so I can display HD content, but how would it sound compared to say, the yamaha 757se amp and denon 1920 dvd player?

2. bluesilver

bluesilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    just to amend that, I meant £2000 including speakers, so about £1k for the seperates. how does a 1k amp/dvd player compare to a media centre for sound and video?

3. dynamitetony

dynamitetony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well, personally, an htpc is just the source ie it plays the dvd/cd/music/video just like a DVD player would and this would then feed a nice amp and speakers

so in answer to your question, i would say you need both.

and that a properlly configured pc should be better than a DVD player for image.

the sound would come out digitally from your sound card to your amp and would then be sent through your amp/speakers.