Media centre for PS3 web browser released

onkeh

Was browsing another forum when they mentioned this cool link:

http://www.vilvic.com/screens.html

It will let you stream/download music from any PC on your network from your PS3 browser. Doesn't play videos directly yet but the website says it can be done if a flash player is released, PS3 browser already HAS a flash player so maybe that's on the way too? You can download the videos to your PS3 and play them there however, assuming they are encoded correctly I guess.

I just tried it out and it works, let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Tony Hoyle

Site says it's still a beta..

There's also http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/ps3mediacenterx/

You can do pretty much the same just by installing an apache server and lashing together some html pages. The problem at the moment is the ps3 can't stream mpeg files, so you end up having to transcode to flv.

onkeh

Site says it's still a beta..

There's also http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/ps3mediacenterx/

You can do pretty much the same just by installing an apache server and lashing together some html pages. The problem at the moment is the ps3 can't stream mpeg files, so you end up having to transcode to flv.

That one's an alpha AND requires you to install Apache. This one's a lot more hassle-free IMO.

Tony Hoyle

That one's an alpha AND requires you to install Apache. This one's a lot more hassle-free IMO.

Huh? it's a refinement red kawa fileserver. You just download it and put files in it the right places and it works.

Kahled

Well given the limitations with regard to streaming video then it is a bit of a stretch calling either a media center capability, no?

F

fdxd

There is always ORB as well. ORB works great on mobile phones too.

tscotsman

clearly the ps3 has along way to go to match the 360's abilities in streaming pc content. hopefully sony can get their act together and really allow the ps3 to become the media center for the living room

pprovart

Standard Member
Hi

I'm using Orb which has been pretty good so far.. I just need to ugrade my wirelss to 54Mbps to see what the Video is like.

I#'ve manged to download pictures form my PC to my Treo650 which i thinks pretty cool!

On the PS3 the interface to Albums and videos coudl be better IMHPO< needs to display more detail about each album/video etc...

I also cant get Internet streamign radio to work...

I wish SONY would beef up their media capabilities on the PS3 to allow for streamign from a PC Server and from the Internet, without havign to use and internet browser and flash.. Its a waste of the graphical and audio capabilitie of the PS3 to hamstring it by usign these browser based media centers... but they doo give the funcitonality..

Now back to GT HD , or shall i play RFOM , F1 or Tekken 5..

DeanTheDon

I've tried orb but I always get a time-out error...

abs

Hi

I'm using Orb which has been pretty good so far.. I just need to ugrade my wirelss to 54Mbps to see what the Video is like.

I#'ve manged to download pictures form my PC to my Treo650 which i thinks pretty cool!

On the PS3 the interface to Albums and videos coudl be better IMHPO< needs to display more detail about each album/video etc...

I also cant get Internet streamign radio to work...

I wish SONY would beef up their media capabilities on the PS3 to allow for streamign from a PC Server and from the Internet, without havign to use and internet browser and flash.. Its a waste of the graphical and audio capabilitie of the PS3 to hamstring it by usign these browser based media centers... but they doo give the funcitonality..

Now back to GT HD , or shall i play RFOM , F1 or Tekken 5..

i've tried orb and have a wired connection between pc and ps3. i've started the orb on the ps3 and it shows my folders on my ps3 etc. the problem i have is when i select a file it tried to download it to my ps3 instead of streaming it on the fly. am i doing something wrong? also what media files does orb work with, divx etc?

W

Whitey75

You do all realize that you can use PIMPstreamer to stream music and movies to the web browser. Works well.

Cheers

staxdoobie

All of this software seems to be PC only. I'm a recent mac convert (never thought I'd see the day) and my PC just sits upstairs gathering dust now. Anyone know of any similar streaming software available for Macs?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom