• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Media centre extenders

johno12345

Standard Member
Hi,

I have media centre 7 on the main TV which almost works fine. i think im going to get a black gold tuner for that problem, but with the aparent lack of support for media centre im having trouble with extenders. id like to use media centre on the tv in the bedroom, without a fill blown PC in there. so basically, is there some small device that will do this for me?

thanks in advance

next010

Distinguished Member
MCE is dead so short answer is no.

You could still use the xbox 360 but the only other remaining MCE extender is sold by an outfit called Ceton and I'm not sure they sell their device outside of north America.

next010

Distinguished Member
The Ceton units are on eBay if you wanted to import one. The only concern is the power pack and if it supports UK voltages so you can just use a regular 2 pin to 3 pin adapter.

You can find used Xbox 360 S units for around £110 on Amazon UK, those are the smaller quieter units.

If you don't use an extender then you need something that plays WTV files, which really means XBMC and probably something like an Intel NUC to run XBMC on. A lot of the old school media player boxes never really supported MCE recordings properly or even at all.

AMc

Distinguished Member
I use a couple of 360s as extenders - they work fine and can be set to boot straight into Windows Media Centre. Pick up remotes in the classifieds here or they will work with any normal Windows Media Centre remote. The only downside is they sometimes crash the interface on the main PC when they're shut down. Not every time but often enough to be noticeable and when it happens and I have 3 things recording I get a short break in one or two of the programmes. WMC recovers the recording fine, but you have to restart the interface on the PC when you turn the TV on.
Last time I checked nothing but a 360 would play back UK HD recordings made on WMC. and they need a media update pack which has to be reinstalled after the annual xbox dashboard update.

riverboat2001

I use a couple of 360s as extenders - they work fine and can be set to boot straight into Windows Media Centre. Pick up remotes in the classifieds here or they will work with any normal Windows Media Centre remote. The only downside is they sometimes crash the interface on the main PC when they're shut down. Not every time but often enough to be noticeable and when it happens and I have 3 things recording I get a short break in one or two of the programmes. WMC recovers the recording fine, but you have to restart the interface on the PC when you turn the TV on.
Last time I checked nothing but a 360 would play back UK HD recordings made on WMC. and they need a media update pack which has to be reinstalled after the annual xbox dashboard update.

Hiya, how did you get the 360 to boot straight into media center please?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom