Media centre build

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by GuitarGuy, Dec 25, 2011.

1. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Basically we have an upstairs tv which is only used for the ps3. Got an old and never used sky box since we cancelled out sub. Thinking of taking the skybox out and putting an Internet connected (think I player / YouTube / 4 od) media centre pc. Got an old pc already here but it's from 01. Ten years old. Single core pentium 4 at around 3 ghz. 1 gig ram. Piece of junk tbh. Newer parts include the DVD drive and hard drive. I'd prefer to keep the psu hard drive and optical drive. Also want a media centre style case about the same size as one of the grundig skyboxes. Going to get an i3 sandybridge system with 4 gigs of ram and whatever gpu you guys reccommend me for buttery smooth video playback. No OS or display required. As for price, I'm not too fussy, just nothing crazy. It's only for occasional use to watch tv upstairs. Now as for network connectivity, considering either wall plug (must have pass through as there's only one socket in the room with a splitter from it) or wireless, we have a wireless g (soon to be n) system in the house already. Look forward to your advice.

2. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
  3. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    That does seem good, let me just weigh up prices. It looks like the and solution will be cheaper..