1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media centre and NTL's Samsung box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Mike TV, May 1, 2005.

1. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can anybody help I am loosing the will to live here. Has anybody got media centre to successfully change channels on NTL's Samsung SMT-2100c STB the problem seems to be with 3 digit channel numbers which for example I get 14 when I want 144 or 30 when I want 130. Have searched around on some sites which say I need the langley NTL guide rather than the bromley one and I have put the wrong postcode in. I surly can only put my own postcode in! and how would this make a difference to the remote code anyway! Is there anyway to manually tell the computer my remote code? Supposing I could find it out! I have tried mannually configuring the STB remote with media center but it just sticks on the number 1 no matter how long I try for.
    Please help somebody must have it working!

2. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Are you using a red-eye translator or maybe you need one? Do a search on it in this forum if need be.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried changing the IR emitters around? i.e. swapping them between sockets. I had problems until I changed them around.

Also, when doing the manual setup, at the end of the process, MCE sets the speed of the emitters. Mine work perfectly on the slowest setting. IIRC, results on fast & medium were as you describe - not consistant/reliable.

Best of luck.

:smoke:

4. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No not using a red eye but their website is where I saw the thing about the post code thing I will have a read up on here though, also on their site they said that the samsung box is on the standard ir protocol and therefore shouldn't need one, as I said I will read up though.

I have tried the ir emitter in the number one hole where it didn't work at all so I tried it in number two where it does emit a signal but with the above problems also as I have found out tonight It doesn't like double figures ie. 11 gives channel 1. I will try the other emitter in both sockets just to make sure, maybe I have a faulty remote? I will keep tring thanks for the advice I will let you know what happens.

5. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    If you search there are a few posts about this and I don't think anyone (maybe Kramer?) has got a NTL Samsung box to work with out the doubl digit prob

6. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am beginning to think this may be true, but I still think I may have a faulty remote receiver as niether of the emitters will work in socket no. 1 I have a friend who has the same one I am going to see if his will work. Can't belive there isn't a way round this though I will keep tring. When you were doing yours did you manage to get the manual remote learning to work? Mine just sticks at no. 1 while it says there are 12 or 13 pages to go at.

7. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No but managed to se it up manually and the channel changes work perfectly for 1 day then the double digit problem came, I just think these STBs are too sencitive

8. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found what I think is the solution microsoft have an update for the samung set top box and others find it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...07-5601-43be-9e33-8b655881b8ea&DisplayLang=en
    please could somebody try it as for some reason I can't get it to install as it says my OS. is not the media center edition, odd as I am sure thats what I have been trying to get to work for the last two weeks. I am sure I can solve that some how but its most frustrating.

9. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another look at it and it appears to be old published in 2002 which means it may be for an older version of Media center which might be why it won't install, still if somebody could have a go and let me know what happens I would be very interested.

10. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Sorry but there is not enough info there to say what its will support and with my stable pace I will not rise it.

Sorry

11. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask how you guys connected your samsung ntl boxes to the HTPC? I have tried a Scart to S-Video/Phono adapter but all I get is black and white on the PC. This is apparently because the STB does not output S-Video?? How else can I connect it?

Thanks.

13. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    At the moment all I a using is compersite i.e. scart to 3 phonos (red whate and yellow)

14. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else have the samsung ntl STB? How is it connected?

15. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    you could try an rgb to svideo convertor box from maplins £35
    I bought one today!!!! havent tested yet

16. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how you get on....

17. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the same rgb to s-video converter from maplins works fine although the quality is not as good as RGB direct to your TV but its about the best you can achieve on a CRT tv. A friend is setting his up on a plasma screen I presume this will be better but I am still saving for that.

18. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jpfrost how well does your media center controll your stb?

19. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too well at the moment. The IR Receiver is being triggered by my plasma somehow. When the plasma is on standby it works OK, but as soon as I turn the plasma on, the IR receiver light starts flashing away..Also (not got this far yet) there is supposedly a double digit problem.

20. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thats the problem I am having see earlier in this thread for a update from windows for samsung stb's don't know if it works yet as I can't get it to install

21. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the MCE IR emitters have a simliar problem with Sky STB's? If not, then I'm think of getting rid of my ntl box and moving over the Sky

22. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, they seem to work flawlessly with Sky STBs. Just confirming that I don't have an NTL STB, was just offering general setup advice.

:smoke:

23. spepm

spepm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, something to make you all feel better. Not only can I not change the STB channels from using media centre but I can't even install microsoft downloads for windows xp media centre edition because apparently I have a different OS? I am confused. Any tips any help would be appreciated. I know my IR emitter cable is working I used a pulse generator and a night vision camera to verify it. When I connect the IR cable to the IR blaster port of my computer though nothing happens. It is like no signal is comming out from the PC. Thanks