1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Center?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by carl310166, Dec 28, 2004.

1. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this post is in the correct forum,but here goes!

At the moment,i have Sky+,32" widescreen tv,and dvd player.

All my mp3's and photos are on my laptop,but my 30gb hard drive is too small.

I would like to know if there is a system to buy or build,that i can store everything on,and stack with and playback via my tv equipment.

I have thought about buying an external hard drive,but how could i connect to my tv etc.

A media center type thing would be great,like this

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/Info.asp?e=AC716BC5-1C20-4511-9409-4711D5C5FDAB

but it's very expensive for what it is.

Is there a simple solution ? somebody must have done this?

Thanks in advance.

p.s i am a bit green when it comes to tech stuff.

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    I am currently running media center 2005, on a homebuilt PC and it runs prefectly for me.

The live TV picture is very good (not quite as sharp as the regular direct one) however where this really shines is in the following : recorded picture is superb, full EPG that can control your digital box ( i set up 7 recordings over xmas on different channels and they all recorded perfectly) can display photos superbly, music is excellent and you have loads of controls plus visualisations.

go to microsoft site for more details

A very big plus is that it is very EASY to use , and therefore the WAF factor is well taken care of (or the non techy person)