Media Center Wi-Fi problem (Buffalo bridge & Netgear Router)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pigdog237, Sep 12, 2007.

1. pigdog237

pigdog237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello - can anyone help with this little problem? :lease:

I have cable broadband upstairs connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router.
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

I've now purchased a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router / access point to wirelessly connect both my Xbox Media Center and Xbox 360 downstairs.
    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/p...erformance-broadband-router-and-access-point/

The Buffalo router is supposed to be easily configured as an access point:

It actually does have a little switch underneath to switch between modes.

I was hoping all I'd have to do would be select "bridge" on the switch and then turn it on and via the magic of DHCP it would be allotted an IP address on my network and magically connect - but no!

(By the way - my Netgear router definitely works, as I connect my DS, PSP and Mac laptop all the time.)

I've even connected my Mac laptop to the Buffalo router/bridge and accessed the diagnostics page (or whatever it's called) to check it is in bridge/access point mode.

Do I need to manually configure IP addresses or something?

Or do I need to change some settings on my Netgear router / broadband connection upstairs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm itching to sort this out and get connected to Xbox Live! :smashin:

2. mattharesign

mattharesign
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now then - i had the same thing connecting 2 buffalo jobs together

you need to do the complicated thing on page 67 (WDS Bridging) of the instructions.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/?WHR-HP-G54-Manual-v1.7-web.pdf

it basically replicates your router settings upstairs and makes the buffalo think it is the router as well and carries the signal to the room.

i have an xbox running xbmc and a 360 plugged into mine. it is set in router mode as per the above and it all works a treat

ta

matt

3. pigdog237

pigdog237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Matt - I'll have to try that! :smashin:

Tried tons of other things (also posted a very similar in the Xbox 360 thread) to no avail. I ended up sharing my connection wirelessly through my Mac laptop, which is hardly ideal. Having to set up the laptop every time I wanna go online.