1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media center running at Monitors Default Refresh Rate

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by meansizzler, Aug 14, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Ok so the defaul refresh rate i have my monitor set to is 75HZ, and media center goes 60HZ full screen, so it has to switch refresh rates and it takes a few seconds but if it was running at 75HZ full screen then there would be no delay as there is no change in refresh rate needed, i've checked this theory and it's correct changed my monitors refesh rate down to 60hz and since media center is 60hz in full screen it's switches straight away with no delay, but I want this at 75HZ, so is there any way I can get media center to do 75HZ full screen, i know there was a reg edit for 50hz, but is 75hz or higher possible, seems a shame really, if you got a good enough screen you want the highest refresh rate, but since most people use full screen media center on a TV hence the reason for the 60HZ cause a tv monitor cannot go higher.

Anyway any help?...

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    If you can get the registry hack to work, it just stops MCE changing refresh rate when it launches, so it will stay at whatever your desktop refresh rate is.

If you are having trouble changing the registry, try the MCE Customiser plug in here looks like they have just released a new version and it has a 'disable refresh rate change' option.

lisa

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I installed the plugin, but when I change a setting it never saves it, so it's kinda useless, I press save, back out and when I go and check the settings they were not saved, also I get a script errors each time I load the plugin within MCE, anyone else get this, maybe it is related, anyone knows what it means, I get script errors now and again, and I narrow it down to either it is beacuase I don't have .net framework installed, or beacuase I have a norton worm protection firewall on and microsoft antispyware, can anyone confirm this...

here is the error I get..

[​IMG]

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Odd - works ok for me,
    In IE try tools - Internet options - Advanced Tab and under 'Browsing' check that Disable Script Debugging is ticked. Might make a difference.

lisa

5. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problems aswell.
    never saves my options, and the above error.

I already had 'disable script debugging' ticked.

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Is this with the new version of MCE Customiser?
    Maybe should let the developers know...

lisa

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    i've looked through tme settings last year when I had my script errors, never seemed to help, i'm going to chekc MS's newsgorups to see if anyone there has the same problem...

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Okay just went to MS knowledgebase and searched for script erors, finaly got a link to some information about script errors in internet explorer, in the form of the one I posted above, well i'm going to do all the steps mentioned including installing JAVA from Java.com ,as I have found that I do get a load of Java errors, to me JAVA is utter garbage, I hate it, has so many bugs no matter what version of windows you got, I prefer Macormedia Flash over it..., but why some poeple use Java insteado f flash I don't know...anyway, check this article over at follow all the steps, i'm sure there are alot of people who suffer from the same error...

Script Error in Internet Explorer Solution

Ok I got it all working, no script error and the plugin works, well apart from the refrsh raet thing, that does not work, probably becasue it is a beta, but the other options I tested worked and were saved, here is what I done...

1.Done everything in the article in the link in the above post, i.e, registered that file, installed Java from Java.com

2.Installed .Net Framework 1.1, just go to microsoft.com, and search for it, then install the 1.1 update, there are two files one is 20MB+ and the update is 10MB

3.Thanks to Lisa I deleted the second user account from control panle>users, so I don't get the log on screen..

4.From I.E, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, at the bottome there is a button called "Restore Defaults", click it...

5.Restart Your PC and Install the Pluggin, sucks the refresh rate thingy does not work yet...

*UPDATE*

Figured out how to change refesh rate manually, go HERE and scroll down to Post #38