1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Center (PC, DVI and Plasma)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by purplehorace, Oct 26, 2004.

1. purplehorace

purplehorace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, :clap:
    Another newbie here. Ive been looking through a lot of the posts but seem confused about the best setup for using a plasma as a display for a PC based DVR system. Thinking of using Microsoft (yuck) XP Media Center 2005 as the base for the system with dual tuner card, DVD writer and bloody big HD drive for recording.

My thoughts are that effectively using the DVI input it should be pixel perfect and give a better picture than using VGA or RGB (forget S-Video or Composite too furry). Has anyone got any experience using such a setup ?

I was thinking about the best quality of budget screen for around 1.5k (trying to keep the full build including PC to about 2k). I have searched for screens that support DVI but there are only a few and the most reasonable being LG!!

Does anyone out there have any suggestions to make an informed decision 'cause its difficult trying to get any stores to demonstrate screens using the DVI input they just say that its like a TFT monitor with DVI input.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    :smashin:

2. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest I doubt that you would see the difference between DVI and VGA
    The quality of the desktop and jpgs from my laptop's VGA output looks stunning on my Hitachi 37" and very acceptable. When I first got the Hitachi I did drag the PC with DVI output across and connect it up via DVI but I can't say that it looked any better than what I now see from the laptop via VGA but then it was not an 'A-B' comparison...
    My 17" Mitsubishi LCD monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs and there is no difference at all between them from what I can tell...

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll need time on your hands to run this system, PC's are terriffic for picture and sheer functionality, but for 'tinkerers' only. You need to run an XGA at least panel, you won't fit enough of a desktop on a 852x480 panel, and with a total budget of 2k both the screen and the PC will be badly under specced. My advice is think again.

4. purplehorace

purplehorace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for feedback guys. I am definately a tinkerer, as an embedded SW engineer I need to be :eek:) !!!

I was thinking about the LG RZ42PX11 as there have been some good reviews and its a reasonable price with all the necessary inputs and with access to the service menu it can be set up correctly. It looks about the best for around 1.5k.

The PC can be built easily for about £500, Asus do a nice looking quiet barebones Pundit-R that has a DVI port on it and a 6 channel audio.

Resolution of the panel as you say could be a problem though but with nearly 800x600 resolution I think it would be enough to use the menus on XP MCE. I'll give it a go on my monitor and see how it looks.

Anyone got any suggestions about XGA panels with DVI inputs ?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's the 480 high vertical resolution that's the problem. Many windows apps need more res than this, try the screen properties box! Musicmatch is another problem. XGA screens don't come cheap. There are 1 or 2 loyal LG fans, but it's definitely a budget sceen with all that implies. Even Pioneer could make a bad screen cheaply.

6. purplehorace

purplehorace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it not be better to go for one of the LCD panels as that will give a better res for the same sort of money plus there will be no fans and half the heat.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, a Sharp 32" would be a brilliant solution, excellent with a PC

8. purplehorace

purplehorace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help MAW I'm off now to trawl for prices and specs of Sharp panels and anything else around the same spec. :smashin:

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Be careful on specs, not all is what it seems. Many TV type LCD's will not accept native res at all, that's why I suggest the sharp, it's one of the few.