1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Center Noob

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by spikerules, Aug 27, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's and gals,

I've been looking at using my PC as a PVR ever since I heard it could be done. However, I hadn't in the past had a working media center edition PC, now that I have I would like to make a PVR computer a possibility.

I know I need a TV tuner card, but what card do I need for Sky Digital? When I get the card, do I need to connect it into the digibox, or can I use my multi-room cable thats already in my room?

Thanks in advance for the replies (If my dumbass gets any :thumbsup: )
    Spike

Edit - Sorry forgot to ask if a particular card is also needed for HD broadcast? Future proofing would be a good idea with SkyHD just around the corner!

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    How you connect up the Sky box is up to you, depending on the quality you want and convenience of cabling.

You could connect your existing RF cable, from the multi-room system, to the (analogue) tuner card. Picture quality though would better if an s-video cable is run directly from the Sky box (assuming the box has one, making it either Sky+ or Grundig) to matching input on the tuner card (would probably need to be an analogue card again). The advantage/disadvantage of option two is you would get stereo sound, but you would of course need to run a sound cable as well as the video.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i would recomend Nvidia NVTV card or Haupauge PVrR-350 as your tv card there is no current card that has suitable inputs for HD in the UK to get HD the card needs to have 1 of 3 input connections DVI, VGA or Component.
    I am on the look out for one myself you can bet whoever comes out with such a card 1st which is MCE compatible will make a mint !

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Why oh why oh why do you keep recommending people buy the PVR350? It's more expensive than the other Hauppauge models because it has an MPEG2 decoder & TV out neither of which is used by MCE. It's nearly twice the price of the PVR150 which is designed for & supported in MCE unlike the PVR350 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx

5. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would any of the cards recommended be able to tune to separate digital SkyTV channels?

Thanks
    Spike

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Sorry but I don't understand your question. All the cards that have been mentioned are analogue TV capture cards. Normally you connect from the digibox via composite or s-video plus audio to the inputs on the card. There is no tuning involved but you capture whatever the Sky digibox is tuned to. From inside the MCE interface you change channels with the MCE remote which then triggers an IR bug that is stauck on the front of the digibox.

7. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I get a media center remote control the IR signal will change the channels on the digi box?

8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +582
    u cant go wrong with an ATI 550 Pro card Superb quality

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Exactly. (to the remote question!)

10. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if you want to record Sky One at a certain time, but the Skybox is on another channel, will it change to Sky One automatically like Sky Plus does?

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Yes.