Media Center Install?

Vinny74

At the moment my PC has Windows XP Home installed and running on a 80GB hard drive (C), and I have recently installed a second 200GB hard drive (D) which I use solely for storage.
I have copied all my personal files (such as my iTunes music library, family photographs, game saves etc.) from my C drive to my new D drive.
Tonight I plan to do a clean install of Windows Media Center 2005.
During this installation will I be given the option to select a drive to install to?
Providing I select the C: drive to install to, is it safe to assume that all my personal files I have backed up to my D: drive will be left untouched?

Sorry if it seems like I'm being a bit thick, but I need to know 100% that my personal stuff will be OK

james_uk9

Novice Member
Vinny74 said:
At the moment my PC has Windows XP Home installed and running on a 80GB hard drive (C), and I have recently installed a second 200GB hard drive (D) which I use solely for storage.
I have copied all my personal files (such as my iTunes music library, family photographs, game saves etc.) from my C drive to my new D drive.
Tonight I plan to do a clean install of Windows Media Center 2005.
During this installation will I be given the option to select a drive to install to?
Providing I select the C: drive to install to, is it safe to assume that all my personal files I have backed up to my D: drive will be left untouched?

Sorry if it seems like I'm being a bit thick, but I need to know 100% that my personal stuff will be OK

Providing u move all files u want to keep to D:/ and install on C:/ u will be fine.

Dan L

Yep.

Best way to do it (cleanest) is to choose the C: partition and let setup format it for you.

When you install the OS it will be quite clear which partition you are choosing - it will give the sizes of the drives.

Of course, if you are really paranoid then you could always disconnect the 200Gb D: drive whilst you do the install, then reconnect it afterwards...

I

Info Freako

danluton said:
Of course, if you are really paranoid then you could always disconnect the 200Gb D: drive whilst you do the install, then reconnect it afterwards...

And if you're really paranoid back D: up to DVDs before you disconnect it in case it doesn't work when you reconnect it.

CharlotWeb

Novice Member
The other option of course is simply to unplug the D: drive from the motherboard while you install the new windows onto C:. If it ain't plugged in, you can't write over it. That's what I did in my paranoid state. :)

Oops, just noticed someone said that above too.. Apologies

DarkEntity

I always unplug my backup drives when installing, never EVER trust MS to do it right first time ;)

B

BUSTERg128

But my mx1000 mouse stutters.

MCE on Xbox 360 does not play Divx etc.

And me wifi box is to slow to stream hd movies.

Gonna get a external usb 2.0 hardrive to copy movies too.

XBL BUSTERg128

noikz

MCE on Xbox 360 does not play Divx etc

Don't forget the "incredibily amazing magical" DivX/Xvid > WMV conversions people are doing. Triple encode video,mmmmm yum. ;)

Vinny74

OK so I've installed Media Center 2005.
Even though I've installed it as a fresh install on the C drive (which used to contain my XP Home operating system), every time I boot the PC I get the option to select either Windows Media Center or XP Home edition (see attached .jpg).
Has this happened to anyone else?
Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Attachments

• BootScreen.jpg
    BootScreen.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 41

Vinny74

Also took this screen dump from the Computer Management screen on my PC.
Cannot figure out why I have an extra 39MB partition on Disk 0.
When media center installed, I was asked which drive to install it on and it formatted that drive!
Could this extra partition have anything to do with the unwanted dual boot option?

Attachments

• DiskScreen.jpg
    DiskScreen.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 31

hot-fuzz

Vinny74 said:
OK so I've installed Media Center 2005.
Even though I've installed it as a fresh install on the C drive (which used to contain my XP Home operating system), every time I boot the PC I get the option to select either Windows Media Center or XP Home edition (see attached .jpg).
Has this happened to anyone else?
Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Im no PC expert and im probably going to get told otherwise, but this happened to me once.
I hadnt deleted the C: partition when installing.
If you delete it, then create it again when in the setup process then it completely erases the O/S you had on the C: drive.
It looks as though you have got them both running (cant remember the techy term for it).

I would suggest doing it again and when it says if you want to delete the partition, delete it and then create it again.

HTH

As I found out Friday transcoder360 will happily convert Divx files on the fly and play them on the 360 - the only caveat is that DD 5.1 Divx will play as pro logic surround, apart from that works a treat!

BUSTERg128 said:
But my mx1000 mouse stutters.

MCE on Xbox 360 does not play Divx etc.

And me wifi box is to slow to stream hd movies.

Gonna get a external usb 2.0 hardrive to copy movies too.

XBL BUSTERg128

Vinny74

Thanks

Looks like I'll have to re-install it all again tonight

yonderblue

Vinny74 said:
Also took this screen dump from the Computer Management screen on my PC.
Cannot figure out why I have an extra 39MB partition on Disk 0.
When media center installed, I was asked which drive to install it on and it formatted that drive!
Could this extra partition have anything to do with the unwanted dual boot option?

If you have MCE2005 up and running fine then don't worry about the 39MB partition going by your screen shot you look like you have a Dell PC ?. That 39MB is the Dell Diagnostics utility that hides on the harddirve so don't worry about it. You can if you wish remove it, but that's upto you.

Even if you wipe a PC i.e. C: Drive or just install over the existing windows on drive c: the Windows MCE2005 installer will recognize the previous installs and it modifies the C:\boot.ini file which contains the boot description and what to boot and that is why you have to two entires at startup. I suggest you edit the boot.ini file you can do this when you are in running windows, You first have to make the file writeable as by default boot.ini is read only, then you can remove the Windows XP Home boot line quite safely and then make the file read only again and the next time you boot you should have only one entry for Windows MCE2005. Note if the [boot loader] timeout is set to 0 seconds or blank you will not see the boot menu at all and it will just boot straight in MCE2005.

Vinny74

Good guess - it is a Dell PC.
Will try editing the boot.ini file tonight.
It should save me a lot of time - many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom