Media Center... Delay after pressing remote??

mremulator

Novice Member
Basically, I'm getting a delay sometimes after pressing a button on my Xbox 360 Media Center remote, this happens on both of my Xbox 360'S which are networked to my PC. I can play HDTV .ts files, stream music etc, however, it's the little things like navigating the menus in Media Center that are driving me up the wall! :mad:

For example... sometimes, I'll go into "My Music" and when I try and flick through my albums I get a 5 second delay after pressing left, right, up or down on the remote. Sometimes I get multiple jumps because I have pressed the remote more than once in frustration.

I doubt that it's my router of the 360 itself because I can play high bitrate stuff etc on the 360 and the remote works perfectly when navigating the dashboard and HD DVD's on my HD DVD drive.

Anyone else having this really annoying problem in Media Center?

mikthe20

I get exactly the same and assumed it was normal. It's acceptable and you get used to it, but I agree it's annoying. I think it depends on how busy the PC is whilst it's trying to serve pages to the 360.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
As a little test create a folder on your pc and throw in a couple of image files, just to test how quick they get displayed and responsive navigation is between them. I've found with big files in the folders its a little slow but in folders with fewer smaller files its fine.

mremulator

Novice Member
It's not normal I'm afraid, it used to be fine up until the last update or the update before that. In addition, my PC is super fast and should have absolutely no problems communicating with the 360 when simply browsing a page of album covers or navigating through the Media Center menus.

M$ changed something as it was perfect a couple of months ago for me. I have seen this before on my Pixel Magic HD Media Box and Pinnacle Show Center 200, however, neither had the horse power of the 360!

mremulator

Novice Member
As a little test create a folder on your pc and throw in a couple of image files, just to test how quick they get displayed and responsive navigation is between them. I've found with big files in the folders its a little slow but in folders with fewer smaller files its fine.

Yea that's what I thought, however, that does not explain why Media Center does not respond sometimes on the main menu (My Music, Settings etc) when pressing the remote. It definitely seems to be sluggish, sometimes non-responsive, yet all is fine when using the dash or streaming from Media Player 11. Anyone noticed that Windows Media Connect is not required now BTW?

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Yup, WMP11 replaced media connect to the annoyance of a few lol.

Maybe the batteries in the remote are going down? What happens if you navigate with a controller?

mremulator

Novice Member
Yup, WMP11 replaced media connect to the annoyance of a few lol.

Maybe the batteries in the remote are going down? What happens if you navigate with a controller?

I have a Philips Pronto, 2 genuine Xbox 360 media remotes and 4 wireless controllers... all behave exactly the same way. A bug me thinks with Media Center Extender.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I don't use my xbox as an extender, but i will give it a go to see if its the same for me. post back sometime tomorrow.

delanoster

I only get a delay when accessing my MCE by wireless (that is the360 is wired to the router but the MCE machine is connected by wireless).

Using a completly wired setup and Vista RTM I have no noticable delay when navigating.

fruvos

I get the same delay when accessing my MCE2005 box over a wired network. It's not related to the number of files, as I get the same delay at the My Music, My Movies menu, before files even come into play. It's not network speed as I can stream dvd images and .ts files without any problem.

Perhaps the bug has been fixed in Vista and that's why delanoster isn't seeing it?

balders

Novice Member
I had some problems with key/ reposonse lag a while ago, mainly after the MCE box came out of standby and the 360 connected to it. It was taking about 5 seconds or so to respond to a keypress, which made the menus almost unusable, and rewind/ ff was a joke! Restarting the PC seemed to fix the problem, but obviously isn't the most convenient solution.

My PC has 2 distinct network ports (om the mobo, A7N8X), so I eventually tried plugging my network cable into the other port. Lo and behold, the 360 started behaving itself, and I haven't had the problem since. My guess therefore is that there may be some network card configuration issue that affects MCE/360, but unfortunately, most of the network card parameters don't mean much to me.

Balders.

delanoster

When I was using XP MCE I didn't have any delay either but I can't remeber if I was using WMP 10 or 11 at the time.

It sounds like balders could be onto something with NIC settings.

Have you tried pinging your 360 from the computer and seeing how high the latency is?

mremulator

Novice Member
When I ping my 360 using CMD, I get "timed out" x4 (100% loss). :confused:

However, everything plays fine (even high bitrate HD stuff), however the menus in Media Center are really starting to hack me off.

J

joe chin

Getting exactly the same delay problem here...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

delanoster

When I ping my 360 using CMD, I get "timed out" x4 (100% loss). :confused:

However, everything plays fine (even high bitrate HD stuff), however the menus in Media Center are really starting to hack me off.

The 360 is probably set to not reply to pings in that case.

Have you deleted the media centre connection in the 360's dashboard and then tried to make a new connection?

mremulator

Novice Member
The 360 is probably set to not reply to pings in that case.

Have you deleted the media centre connection in the 360's dashboard and then tried to make a new connection?

Yep, makes no difference. I have spoken to a couple of others today who are experiencing exactly the same problem. How do we contact Microsoft about this? I called technical support who were about as technical as my 80 year-old Nan!

mikthe20

I installed a second 360 as a media extender yesterday. This time using wireless, and the button delay was awful, but then so was the media playback. I then switched on QoS (Quality of Service) in the router settings, which I always presumed was a bit of a gimmick, and suddenly no button delay and wonderful media playback. HTH someone.

mremulator

Novice Member
I installed a second 360 as a media extender yesterday. This time using wireless, and the button delay was awful, but then so was the media playback. I then switched on QoS (Quality of Service) in the router settings, which I always presumed was a bit of a gimmick, and suddenly no button delay and wonderful media playback. HTH someone.

What router do you have? I'm thinking about replacing mine, however, I want one with a decent firewall and something that is fairly easy to set up.

Kazman

I had some problems with key/ reposonse lag a while ago, mainly after the MCE box came out of standby and the 360 connected to it. It was taking about 5 seconds or so to respond to a keypress, which made the menus almost unusable, and rewind/ ff was a joke! Restarting the PC seemed to fix the problem, but obviously isn't the most convenient solution.

My PC has 2 distinct network ports (om the mobo, A7N8X), so I eventually tried plugging my network cable into the other port. Lo and behold, the 360 started behaving itself, and I haven't had the problem since. My guess therefore is that there may be some network card configuration issue that affects MCE/360, but unfortunately, most of the network card parameters don't mean much to me.

Balders.

Interesting, I have the same mobo and the same issue, so might try the other port and see what happens :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom