1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Center 2005 & Freeview

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dumfy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

Not sure if this question should be in this forum or the Sky+ Freeview one.

Anyway, as a new owner of a Media Center PC, I was wondering if it's possible to connect a Freeview Set-Top box to it which could be used for both viewing and recording purposes.

My thoughts are it can be done using RF out on the Freeview Box and connect to RF in on the PC, but I'm unsure.....hence the question. If it can be done, can S-Video connections be used instead to improve picture quality?

Apologies if this seems a daft question. ;)

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it can be done in any of the ways you suggested, however, ONLY if you have an analogue tuner card in your mce pc.

3. cogunde

cogunde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a similar question too. . . relocating to the UK in a few weeks, and have a Toshiba Qosmio bought from the US. The problem is, the Toshiba Qosmio has a NTSC TV Tuner card, and I am aware that the UK operates the PAL Standard.

My question is, will I be able to, in some way, connect a Sky+ box to my Toshiba Qosmio (even though it has an NTSC Tuner) in the UK without any problems, or will I have to junk my Qosmio?

The Qosmio has a S-Video port . . will that help any?

Thanks in advance.

Ade

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Dumfy

if your Media Center PC is running Microsoft Media Center 2005 then the SweetSpot MCE card is a better choice - it is more convenient for Freeview to have an internal PC card that captures the digital TV transmissions directly.

Ade

re the laptop - it might be able to pick up Sky+ through the SVideo in - it just depends on whether or not there is any software bundled with it that can use the SVideo port (you would expect there would be but who knows)

Also there are USB tuner options, and even PCMCIA tuner options if you wanted Freeview.