1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Cabinet Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, May 2, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, since the plasma is now on the wall, I now have to sort out storage for the Xbox, PS2 and NTL and possibly a PC.

I have seen the FINNBY cabinet at Ikea, but it is too wide for the space I have planned for it.

What would be ideal, would be a FINNBY cabinet which is about half as wide. Can the dimensions of the FINNBY be modified and still keep the clean look to the unit ? I am not sure how it goes together.

Any suggestions ? Any other possible units for around £60 ?

Thanks,

Dai

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I saw this post from groove on the 'Get Your Plasma Out For The Lads' thread.

What stand is this ? How does it look so neat ? I would have thought with an open stand there would be wires everywhere ?

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    go to ikea!
    go to the kitchen area! and buy the plain box units,get as many as you need/want for the space you wish to fill,screw them together then pick the doors you want, and the legs you want, and handles if you want any.
    i was going to do the same thing before i thought of putting two finnbys together (my old place was huge)
    the look was the same very smooth etc very trendy or change the doors and u can have a different look alltogether, trust me itll look spot on for you and ul prob end up with something indevidual to yuo and ur setup

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :thumbsup:

Cracking idea mate ! I think I will just do that !

5. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems pointless to me to put the plasma on the wall and then have a cabinet underneath it. Why not just use a pedestal stand on the cabinet?

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345

have a look on the get ur plasmas out thread.
    somepeople (myself defo included) like everything hidden/smooth but allso want there panel on the wall for looks
    so we put panel on wall but keep all av equipment ouuta the way/sight in cabinets off side/underneath etc/
    id have my av equipment further away if it wernt for the cost of the cables required for me to do this :(

the next stage for me is to change my speakers for some that i can hide better, i want the bose cubes, the single ones not the 2 ontop of each other, in white purly so i can hide em more.
    also a saw someone with a panny wall mounted the panel then built a false wall around it so it looks like it only stands around 4mm from the wall that looked awesome!!! id love to do that then cover it with some sort of 2 way mirrow so when its off its a mirror with no sign of it being a plasma at all then turn it on and it pops to life, i know phiillips made something like this but the type of frames they did wernt to my taste

and as a security measure it keeps em outta eye view from dodgy geezers looking thru ur window thinking wow check all that out, and if uv got children you can lock the cabinets and keep em safe, and put the panel up outta there way.

someone must know someone that has a normal tv or even a plasma that is on a stand, they have a lil one and they spend most of the night asking em to move outta the way, or they run in and press the bottons, :nono: so they turn it off during a vital moment or turn over, turn volume so high u nearly blow the speakers :thumbsdow , adjust ur well thought out and tried settings or draw on it!
    surely all of that will make parents of toddlers want to go out and wall mount a plasma and put the rest of the gear in a cabinet :smashin:

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    ul get some great results mate, i got the idea from ikea coz on one of there shop displays they had some white units around 4 metres long looked well smart and looked every where for em, couldnt find them no where, so grabbed one of the yellow t shirted felows and said where do i get that, and they told me there just the standard kitchen cabinets(diff sizes available), screwed together, then picked some nice legs in the height they wanted and picked some doors they wanted put it all together and it looked awesome!
    in the end i put 2 finbys together to achieve the look but the kitchen cabinets looked better! it was just a cost issue, the kitchen cabinets wouldve cost me about £40 more but im tight :D

going on a bit but i saw plain white small cabinets with white doors with frosted glass on them with soft backlighting inside and thought awesome!
    now i know theyre deep and wide enough for av equipment so imagine em all inside with soft blue lighting inside! and the remotes will still pass thru the glass!

i think iv just sold myself another unit :rotfl:

8. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I will be putting all my devices in the corner of the room away from the screen so this is not going to be an issue for me.

I know what you mean tho, I understand why people have the plasma on a stand on a unit but I think you may aswell buy a CRT if you are going to do this IMHO.

Looks much better on the wall and you can also have it at the right eye level for you then as you are not hindered with the height of the stand.

9. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Are you any good at drawing mate ? LOL !

;) :rotfl:

That sounds awesome ! I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I want white units and with being able to get the doors I want to match then I should easily be able to make it look good in the room.

Going to have to pay IKEA a visit sometimes next week I think !

:cool:

10. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have 3 kids. They have never touched the hi-fi or TV. Biggest problem is sitting on the remote :rolleyes:

Most wall mounted plasmas are way too high. I was initially referring to the picture posted above, which shows that great care has been taken getting the plasma to look good, but the rest of the AV stuff looks out of place. Now that plasma could easily have been sat on the cabinet, I can see no benefit from it being wall mounted. In fact being wall mounted reduces flexibility in re positioning or decorating.

Anyway, now I've probably insulted half the people on the forum :eek: here's some useful info. Garyd has a post on the get your plasmas out thread showing his with three small oppli units. 2 of these may be suitable for you. (His is a stunning setup, but I still think he should have used a pedestal stand :hiya: ) My setup is here.

11. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Some people do mount their plasmas very high but then we are all different. I have mounted mine on the wall and the space it saves by not being mounted on a unit is unbelievable. Makes all the difference in my room.

I don't agree that wall mounting reduces flexibility when decorating though. It saves so much space and it is just so much easier to mount on the wall if you have a wall that is suitable.

Everyone is different and they all have different needs. Personally, if you have a plasma then I think it is a huge waste not to wall mount it. At the end of the day, it is the lack of depth to the plasmas that attract us to them IMHO.

I am ecstatic with my setup and when I get the unit sorted for the end of the room it is going to look spot on.