Media Box Recommendation

Wibs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Now that my Sony SMP N200 has given up the ghost since the last firmware 'upgrade' I have decided to start afresh, and I need a recommendation.

I would like a media box that does the following:

1. Connects to my home's wifi network
2. Has built-in support for for the catch-up services of BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5
3. Has a USB port so I can play movies on a stick
4. Will work with Serviio
5. Makes the tea

Are there any products out there that fit the bill?

I also get poor wifi reception (1 or 2 bars, but mostly 1 bar), even though my Virgin Superhub 2 is in the next room (with stud walls), so if anyone can recommend a 'over-the-mains-network' powerline product that can carry HD video, I would appreciate it also.

Cheers

Wibs

Last edited:
Raspberry Pi2 with OpenELec (XBMC / Kodi) does not have all the official catch up services but you will be able to find all the content from them on other addons.

So for £30 you cant go wrong. Unfortunately it does not make tea or distil or spirits.......

NUC 2820 and install OpenElec (xbmc) on it.
Not as cheap as JonMace has suggested but a powerful little htpc, does have internal wifi in it as well.
Powerline wise, I reckon one of the newer 500mbs probably would work for you. I have a 3 year old Belkin which maxs at I think 150mbs and it doesnt struggle with streaming from my NAS.

I'd second both the above suggestions.

As to powerline adapters I'd always suggest getting the fastest ones you can afford as the actual speed you get is dependant upon the wiring in your house, I'd also suggest you get them from somewhere that has a good returns policy as they don't always work as well as you expect, mainly in older houses with poor wiring.
I've always had Devolo plugs and would recommend them.

I'd third the NUC , had a pi then an HTPC full size but the NUC is altogether much better.

If I have a USB with openelec on it using a NUC, and I upgrade my NUC by buying a new one - will the USB drive work on the new NUC? Or would I have to do some fiddling about with it to boot the USB etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom