• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mede8er MED500X or Dune Smart H1???

Which one?

• Mede8er MED500X

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Dune Smart H1

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
I'd imagine most people wouldn't be able to say. Only people who have used/owned both players would be able to make an informed decision. I like my Mede8er but I have no idea of the capabilities of the Dune. I know the Dune's tend to be more expensive and offer more features, but without using one myself I couldn't possibly say if I'd choose it over the Mede8er.

MarkE19

As I already own a Dune Prime I would almost certainly go for the Smart as my Zappiti video wall would just work on it.
If I was buying my first media player then I would go for the best I could afford - which was the Dune Prime as it had several features that very few or none of the other players I looked at could offer, ie analogue 7.1 audio output, internal BD drive.

Mark.

nsemple

Just got a dune h1 to replace the mede8er, and the dune outperforms it certainly for what I want to use a media player for!!

MarkE19

No, ripping a disc needs to be done on a PC/Mac - Dune would never get a DVD or BD license if it could be used to rip a disc.

Mark.

Keiron

Thanks Mark.

So why is the Dune (and popcorn for that matter) so expensive? As far as I can see, the only thing it offers over a £70 sumvision is the ability to play a BD iso. (If my Sumvision could play those, I'd be happy as Larry.)

MarkE19

IMO the Dune & PCH offer:
better hardware
better firmware support
better format support
better conectivity

IMO with a media player you nearly always get what you pay for. Yes there are overpriced units that don't do as much as some cheaper ones, and there are some cheap units that seem to do it all. But generally the cheaper units have had to cut corners to keep the price low - that may or may not be an issue for your uses of the player.

Mark.

Keiron

All reasonable points but a hefty premium. I guess if you want to watch BD rips then you also need a BD drive in your PC and ripping software (which last time I looked was not freely available and indeed very expensive).

MarkE19

To be fair - the copy protection on BluRay discs is changing at a fair old rate, so software to bypass this requires constant updating and that costs the company money.
SlySoft who make AnyDVD HD are stopping sales of lifetime updates from next year, so anybody wanting to use the program should get it now before it is too late and they have ongoing costs to rip their BD's.

Mark.

MarkE19

MakeMKV Beta is free until it comes out of Beta and should be fine, but it only rips to an MKV container rather than a BD ISO etc. But be aware that the Dune firmware does not give chapter access to a rip in an MKV container - although many others such as PCH do :rolleyes:

Mark.

Keiron

Apologies for leading this thread astray somewhat but last question: Most of my backed up DVDs are music concerts so the "extras" are vital.

How do you go about ripping and navigating to these without ripping to ISO?

(I should say that the Dune has been on my radar recently to enable me to watch BD ISOs but the cost of software and BD drive for the PC is making it all very expensive).

MarkE19

Most of my backed up DVDs are music concerts so the "extras" are vital.

How do you go about ripping and navigating to these without ripping to ISO?
Why not to ISO?
However with AnyDVD HD I can rip to an ISO image or rip to the HDD in a file structure, ie in a Video_TS folder structure for DVD rips and BDMV folder for a BD - in exactly the same file/folder structure as stored on the disc. I then use the DVD/BD menu to acces the video exactly the same as if I had put the disc in the tray and was playing from it.
(I should say that the Dune has been on my radar recently to enable me to watch BD ISOs but the cost of software and BD drive for the PC is making it all very expensive).
I know what you mean, but you can do it as I did and buy the parts bit by bit as you can afford them.

Mark.

nsemple

Thanks. Sorry, what I meant is how to rip and navigate to the extras without going to the expense of buying AnyDVD.

Dvdfab works well and has 1 month fully functional trial and 25% off ATM as well. Don't get the posts about the premium. The dune h1 is £80 more than the mede8er, but also has full movie jukebox functionality and full bluray menu support.

Don't get me wrong, the mede8er is a good device, it streams SD content fine and play hd stuff fine from the hard drive, but money no object, (as the poll title!!) I'm afraid the dune has to be the one.

TopMeTom

Banned
I voted mede8er THEN saw money no object.....doh.

I do think the dune is quite expensive though and if you cannot rip bd to it I am yet to see the point in paying extra?

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
IMO the Dune & PCH offer:
better hardware
better firmware support
better format support
better conectivity

IMO with a media player you nearly always get what you pay for. Yes there are overpriced units that don't do as much as some cheaper ones, and there are some cheap units that seem to do it all. But generally the cheaper units have had to cut corners to keep the price low - that may or may not be an issue for your uses of the player.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

You say the Dune and PCH offer "better" this and that, but you have not said how these are better? IMO firmware support for Mede8er is one of the best across all players and connectivity and format support are on a par.

I'd be interested to hear your reasons for saying Dune and PCH are "better"?

nsemple

Hi Mark,

You say the Dune and PCH offer "better" this and that, but you have not said how these are better? IMO firmware support for Mede8er is one of the best across all players and connectivity and format support are on a par.

Im sorry, but having owned both, network performance is not comparable, sound support is better and small things like subtitle support is better. The dune has a couple of nice gui's, the mede8er has the videowall in v4, but it's a bit limited.

If you want a no frills, relatively cheap Player, then the mede8er is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkE19

If you look back at the post my 'better' comments were in response to it was actually the Sumvision rather than the Mede8er I was looking at. But I am of the opinion that with a media player you do get what you pay for and therefore paying a bit of a premium can be very worth while. I've never used a Sumvision media player, but when I was looking at what to get I did read loads of users issues with it and so never looked at it any closer.

So using iboum to compare the Sumvision vs Smart H1
Realtek vs Sigma Designs - personal choice maybe but the Realtek did (still does?) have issues with HD audio
iboum states about firmware for the Sumvision - 'Firmware has been reported as less stable than average for this player and feature updates significantly lag the best players.' vs Smart - 'The new Dunes are basically repackaged versions of the Dune Base 3.0.. ..and they use the same firmware'
HDMI & Composite vs HDMI, Component, Composite

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom