Medal of Honor Xbox 360 Review & Comments

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviewed by Ste Carter

MOHcoverscaled.jpg

Format – 360 (Also on PlayStation 3 and PC)
Developer – Electronic Arts
Publisher – Electronic Arts
Rating – 18 (BBFC)

Synopsis

When it comes to big names in the gaming world, they don’t come much bigger than the likes of Electronic Arts (EA), with their wealth of leading franchises such as FIFA and Need for Speed. Along with the likes of Activision, they are at the forefront of releasing games annually in the build up to Christmas, regardless of the longevity of the franchise. No more so is this the case with the latest Medal of Honor (MoH) title, as the First Person Shooter market is already a busy one without another addition being thrown into the mix. This wouldn’t be a big issue if it wasn’t for the fact that so many of them tried too hard to knock Call of Duty (COD) down a peg or two, which is usually attempted by ’borrowing’ a lot of its ground-breaking ideas.

One of the key selling points for MoH is the fact that Tier 1 soldiers (those who enter a combat zone first, regardless of their own safety) have been closely involved with EA to make this a more realistic title that reflects actual battle situations. But, for some, this will not appeal to them as they will feel that the setting, in Afghanistan/Iraq, will be too controversial as the conflict it is meant to represent it still on going. This being one of the reasons why for multiplayer, the Taliban have been renamed to OpFor (Opposing Force), in order to avoid being racist and offending anyone, so controversy already surrounds MoH and is a potential downfall.

Being an EA title, MoH has received its fair share of both good and bad publicity, along with plenty of preview shots being released to whet our appetites. For many, this is seen as nothing more than a cheap ‘wannabe’ but the majority have been holding their breath in the hope that this will be as good as rival in-house title, Battlefield. Their expectations are rightly held too as they are renowned, along with the Frostbite engine, for producing an online multiplayer experience that challenges the likes of COD. But this will be their second attempt at rivalling Activision and their last was not that well received based on the quality of its single player, so will the latest Medal of Honor stand a better chance of becoming the new king of shooters?

moh_mp_online_e3_1.jpg

Presentation

Initially when the single player campaign is loaded up, you’re treated to a cinematic that’s well polished and technically at a high standard, which makes you feel that the rest of the game will follow suit. Unfortunately, this is not the case and these quality visuals are only seen in the cut-scenes between missions, whilst in-game the graphics are of a lower standard. Not so much so that it’s a problem, but they could definitely be a bit better given the time and attention, as was the case with Battlefield 2. One good feature is that all guns sound ‘loud’ and have distinctive tones and echoes depending on your surroundings which shows how attention has been given as to how the games realism can be vamped up.

EA’s latest isn’t without its problems and bugs though as I found out within the first few levels of the campaign. Standing and waiting for a door to be blown off by air support in order to continue, I was treated to black vertical lines across the screen which disappeared in the end but it definitely hindered play. The lighting isn’t great either as interiors are too dark, then as soon as you step outside the game will adjust itself ‘accordingly’ by making it too bright just when it doesn’t need to.

Although the graphics overall are ok, the explosions are very ‘ugly’ and far too pixelated to suit a current generation console, tied with the fact that explosions sound too tame, this reduces the ferocity of what should be a very intense game. EA does try to build tension though through its dialogue, with plenty of swears and shouting, which usually go to waste more often than not as it is quite frankly out of place and unnecessary. The amount of acronyms and army ‘lingo’ that gets thrown around will confuse you too and wish that they would speak in terms that everyone can understand, instead of alienating the majority.

moh_mp_online_e3_4.jpg

Game Mechanics

Something that is clear is the fact that Medal of Honor’s button layout is a carbon copy of Modern Warfare 2’s, apart from a couple of additions courtesy of Electronic Arts. This will let you ‘pick up and play’ immediately which is a good thing for those who are trigger happy, but that’s where the similarities end in terms of actual gameplay. Those who are brave enough can choose to take on the Veteran mode in Activision’s title, which usually amounts in numerous deaths and swearing at the TV, but EA’s title is far too easy on the hardest setting. Anyone could quite happily complete the campaign with little or no trouble straight away on hard, as the enemy AI is nothing to be feared, more often than not they act as nothing more than bullet sponges. Similarly, they do not fire upon the player with any frightening accuracy and spray bullets left, right and centre, and even when you do get shot you’ll have a hard time of knowing how much more damage you can take. The damage mechanic does tell you where you are taking fire from, but there is no alert to tell you that you are on the brink of being killed.

The biggest challenge of all is overcoming the idiocy of the friendly AI and the bugs and glitches in-game. For example, an open door indicated the next stage of the level which I could not walk through, and then I was plonked on top of a quad bike which I could not drive or dismount. Both of these were very annoying and happened on several occasions after reloading the last checkpoint, meaning I had to restart the level from the beginning, very annoying. Your allies will frequently help you take down your adversaries, but that’s where their co-operation ends as they will stand stationary, oblivious to where the next objective is, leaving you unable to continue until they decide that they want to.

There is a lack of a story within MoH, or if there is, then it is so forgettable that it can be skipped over and ignored and not make a blind bit of difference if it’s understood or not. The game unfolds something like this though; you play as four different soldiers across the Middle East sent to take down the Taliban’s forces and quash their hatred for the Western world. Each section see’s you take part in various missions, which in truth are far too short in length and number, but in their defence they are varied. One will see you spotting targets for an AC-130 gunship and the next you will take the Taliban head-on in order to silence their anti-aircraft positions. All missions seem ‘life-like’ and make you feel that you’re taking part in operations that are on-going throughout the Iraq conflict, so the work with Tier 1 pays off in that respect. Controlling all these characters can be a little heavy and cumbersome though, which detracts from some of the fun of playing but it’s not the game’s biggest gripe by a long distance. Also diminishing the fun is how many headshots you manage to pull off, which seem to occur even when you don’t catch them in the head, whilst the ensuing animation for a headshot leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that the curse of the ‘disappearing head and tomato sauce replacing it’ has struck here too.

moh_screen_24.jpg

Longevity

To say that Medal of Honor’s single player is short is an understatement; it’s far too short. That it can take around four to five hours to fly through is a very poor show on EA’s part as it goes nowhere near in as much depth as the Call of Duty brands, which is clearly its main rival. Tied with the earlier point that the difficulty settings are not consistent, it leaves an altogether sour taste in your mouth upon completion. Replayability is encouraged through Tier 1 mode, which sees you take on time challenges across all levels, and an achievement/trophy for finishing each level below the set par time. This is somewhat of a gimmick though and makes you wonder why they couldn’t have just concentrated more on the campaign, instead of trying to compete with modes such as MW2’s Spec Ops as a fully polished campaign would convert many of Activision’s loyal fans.

There’s no denying the fact that when it comes to online multiplayer, Infinity Ward are one of the best. So, do EA give them a run for their money? Well, no which is probably no big surprise to you as the online multiplayer almost feels as empty as the Liberal Democrats ballot box. There are around eight or nine maps, with three or four of them being tied to specific game modes only, so you’ll see a lot of the same scenery on your tour of duty online. All maps are relatively small and close quarters, reducing the appeal to those who prefer to pick off enemies from afar, which is often a little tricky as there seem to be a couple of problems with the hit detection.

The usual game modes are all present and accounted for with team deathmatch, objective based games and sector control modes, and Combat Mission where you can take on set objectives and scenarios with friends or other online users you encounter. Online is nowhere near as chaotic as MW2, but neither is the destruction on par with Battlefield 2 despite running on the same engine.

Longevity is further lowered with just three set classes to choose from; Sniper, Recon and Soldier but they do have exchangeable gear that is unlocked through levelling each class up individually. Say you reach level three with the sniper; you’ll receive a scope that is attachable to all your rifles, so there is some reward for sticking with one particular class. Ribbons and medals are awarded to players for completing certain ‘challenges’ such as helping out your team mate or reaching a level three killstreak, which I’m happy to report are not as over powered or unfair as those you find in MW2.

moh_mp_online_e3_3.jpg

Final Thoughts

So whilst there are good moments within Medal of Honor, it seems to fall at the wayside of other modern FPS games as it lags too far behind them to keep up, which reflects the brand’s recent slump in popularity with gamers. There is no more such a case where the mighty have fallen in the gaming world, as MoH was undeniably top dog throughout the years of PlayStation One and Two. There are far too many bugs throughout the campaign to make it overly enjoyable and it shows the trouble EA are having with keeping up with its main competitors. Tie this with its shortness, the little longevity there is all round, it would probably be better if you waited until the retail price of MoH came well down before you take it on. But if you do buy it, don’t expect a perfect package, there is the odd enjoyable moment thrown in for good measure though.

Medal of Honor
  • Occasionally enjoyable in places
  • Some good set pieces

3rd Place Rosette
  • Very short single player
  • Too many bugs
  • Little longevity/replayability
  • Graphics can seem very low-res at times with ugly explosions

I gave this one a miss as i saw it coming a mile away, 2 developers doing multi & singleplayer seperatly? Sliding in a month before BOPS trying to steal some of thier playerbase? Slapping a Battlefield 3 Beta in there to sweeten the deal?

Saved me 40 quid anyway :smashin:

Yep, definately sent out just to peddle the beta and to secure sales before Bops takes all the gaming world by storm next month. If it hadnt have been for Bops next month, i reckon this couldve been brilliant as some elements of it would play out really well with more polish and commitment. Good ideas, poor execution and all that.

Last edited:
I think we have been spoilt with COD, its a shame nothing else can compare up to it, but you have to hand it to EA, at least they are trying, one day COD will be knocked off the top, which means better games for us! This could not happen without others trying, like the likes of EA.
MOH is worth buying in my opinion! But not sure if ill get it out again once bl.ops comes out!!

You can defo see where they are trying and they will definately (or someone else for that matter) get the formula spot on and beat COD, especially since the to-do Zampella etc had with one another. There will be people who love MoH and rightly so if you can get past its bugs/glitches etc

one line review

Its crap so just dont bother

one line review

I wouldnt say its that bad, admittedly its not great but not that bad but its everyones own opinion. People will just have to buy it knowing they might not like it.

one line review

Great review, good use of the english language!

You obviously didnt like the game, but it's not 'crap', they didnt spend months of time and money for you to say its crap! Did you play the game???????? there are obviously some great bits to the game and some not so great......
if you write a review, please ellaborate on why, where, when etc etc.....'its crap, dont bother' is just silly...

one line review

I totally disagree, I think Medal of Honor is a good game with an immersive and enjoyable single player campaign and a decent albeit slightly unbalanced multi player option. It may not be perfect but to say it's crap is nonsense.

I gave this one a miss as i saw it coming a mile away, 2 developers doing multi & singleplayer seperatly? Sliding in a month before BOPS trying to steal some of thier playerbase? Slapping a Battlefield 3 Beta in there to sweeten the deal?

Saved me 40 quid anyway :smashin:

Bit Harsh this. Go play it on Multi player, some good maps and gritty realistic /intense firefights
Dont jump on the "I hate MOH" bandwagon just because you agree with a review without actually playing the bloody game?! :laugh:

Besides all that who pays £40 for a new game nowadays?

Mine was £31.99
I think its a good game in its own right, not as polished as BFBC2 But a refreshing change from the COD franchise.

bang bang your dead.....

Completed the campaign last night, loved it! Preferred it to MW2's campaign and so far enjoying the mutliplayer too. The only thing missing IMO is a Spec Ops mode.

If there are people still debating a purchase because of some average reviews I heartily recommend they at least give this a go. :smashin:

I think we have been spoilt with COD, its a shame nothing else can compare up to it, but you have to hand it to EA, at least they are trying, one day COD will be knocked off the top, which means better games for us! This could not happen without others trying, like the likes of EA.
MOH is worth buying in my opinion! But not sure if ill get it out again once bl.ops comes out!!

I actually think Battlefield Bad Company 2 online is much better than COD - less frantic, much larger map and much more realistic. Althogh MOH may not be as good compared to the COD & current Battlefield game, acquiring it cheap second hand, just to play it through and give it a bash, would make it more worthwhile - whether people should queue up to purchase this on release as they did with COD - probably not worth it.

Doubt this will get much more of a look in considering HMVs deal on trade in for COD etc

Looks amazing

If you arent been sarcastic, which i think youre not, then they have done a good job of making the game look good in the <30 second trailer, as do everyone else in advertising. Its ok not overly good, not overly bad. Is it better than MW2? Probably not in my opinion but if you liked BF: Bad Company more than COD, then youll probably like MoH better than it too.

I quite fancy this but will be too busy with call of duty once that arrives.

It's still early days for Black Ops but so far I still prefer MoH, both in the campaign and MP which i've really started to enjoy.

It is a shame about the bugs, i cant remeber the level name but its when you have to supress the bunker with the light machinegun. THe NPC's just wouldnt move even when i hit it loads, cleared the entire area and managed to sit under the gun nest yet they wouldnt move. Tried to throw grenades at them and got them to the 2nd cover, but no further =/

I like the review kind of how i see the game too, what i think would be great is Black ops multiplayer maps and MOH gameplay, as most the maps on MOH are just a bit crappy and bottle neck sooo much.

Yeah sometimes they just dont move an stand there leaving you unable to complete the objective. I think i mentioned it in review, the level with the ATV and i was sat about a foot above the feckin thing and not able to drive it.

i know call of duty games are becoming famous, i love fps games but i dont like this game.

General consensus for this = below average

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom