Medai Centre 2005 - No Internet Explorer?

Silva

Hi

Ive just installed Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005 on my pc - installed disk 1 ok, then disk 2 ok.

Got near the end of installation and it asked me to 'insert Windows XP SP2 disk' (which I dont have on disk as I have always used windows update to do this after hooking to the net directly after the clean install) So I clicked 'cancel' and it continued the install.

Anyway after booting up I noticed that under the start menu there was only a shortcut to Internet Explorer and not the actual icon. So basically I can get onto the net now to download SP2 which no doubt includes Internet Explorer :s

Erm what should I do? :s

Slipperystevens

Novice Member
Open Explorer (File Manager, not IE) and put the following address in the address bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/default.mspx

Assuming you've got a network connection, this should work. You could also download the install file using the machine you're using to post here, then transfer it to your new build machine.

I'd double-check that IE really isn't installed, first. Have a look for:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

If it's there, just double-click it, and IE should start.

Hope that helps.

Silva

Hi m8, I would dl it via ur method but I cant install my modem as it doesnt have the install component on windows either or something :s

Cant remember, Im at work now u see. Im downloading the 266mb SP2 file now and Ill try to install windows again after burning this to disk. But will a 266mb .exe file be burned to disk and be recognised by windows during the install process when it asks for the 'Windows SP2 disk'?

Pebb

I would say you're better off using FireFox as a web broswer on Media Center.

Silva

whys that mate?

all Im trying to do is have an install so I can stream hd from pc to 360 but is never as simple as it should be :s

L11

Novice Member
The "Windows XP Sp2" disk is the name for CD1 i believe.. You just had to put CD1 back in..

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Hi,

When it asks for the SP2 disk....what it actually means is put disk 1 back in (there's a bug in the installation files).

This happened to me when trying to install MCE and had me racking my brains for quite a while :confused:

Anyway give this a go and this should sort the rest of your instalation (IE is on disk 1):thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
L11 said:
The "Windows XP Sp2" disk is the name for CD1 i believe.. You just had to put CD1 back in..

lol....beat me to it :D

Silva

Seriously? just put the MCE disk 1 back in? :) Cheers m8

Will that give me Internet Explorer and other files I am missing?

I guess I will still have to download SP2 from the net AFTER the installation?

Also is SP2 the same as 'Rollup2'?

Cheers

AMCross

yep put the discs back in as explained below

and then when alls up and running goto windows update and hidden under custom not expreess will be rollup 2

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Yes.....just put disk one back in :)

Do you have the 3 disk version of MCE ??.....if so you have all the files you need including SP2 & Rollup 2.

I'd run windows update though after the install as there's a few more updates.

Silva

Thanks people, no I have the 2 disk version of MCE, that ok?

So SP2 and Rollup2 are different upgrades?

Yes and yes!

Once you have installed "do" a Windows update (you'll need to do this a couple of times) and you'll be completely up to date.

With IE 7's tabbed browsing I thought they were about the same - are there other features I'm missing out on?

Michaelknell said:
I can't believe this is the only recommendation for Firefox. It is miles better than IE.

Jordans Norks said:
With IE 7's tabbed browsing I thought they were about the same - are there other features I'm missing out on?
I've got loads of extensions on my FF. Things like auto form filling and adblocks.

I see...may give it a play then...cheers! :)

(if you've got any specifics worth looking at could you post / PM them, thanks)

Michaelknell said:
I've got loads of extensions on my FF. Things like auto form filling and adblocks.

DarkEntity

I wouldnt touch IE with a barge pole...Firefox and Opera are my two browsers of choice.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Did you get it sorted ? :)

Jordans Norks said:
I see...may give it a play then...cheers! :)

(if you've got any specifics worth looking at could you post / PM them, thanks)
Adblock is probably the best. It lets you block images from sites, so if you go on a certain site regularly and it has lost of ads, you can chose to block them, thus decreasing load times etc.